Power steering pulley broke hurrah!

Old April 11th 12, 12:27 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
J. Clarke[_2_]

Default Power steering pulley broke hurrah!

Pulled out of a side street, something went "clunk" and the power
steering on the ZJ died. Pulled over to the side of the road and
investigated and found that the power steering pulley was gone.
Backtracked on foot and found the serpentine belt and a piece of pulley.

I was a couple of miles from work, debated limping in and decided
against it, called to see if somebody could give me a ride, the boss
could, took me down to Autozone to get a new pulley and the puller/press
for it.

The boss had to be somewhere so he dropped me at the ZJ and went on. I
started taking the old pulley off (the Autozone puller works a treat--
you need a couple of wrenches to use it, I forget the size) and a car
pulls up. Same make and model and color as the boss's car, I figured he
came back for something, then this insanely cute blonde gets out and
asks me if I need any help. Well, I didn't have anything for her to do
right then, but I told her I'd appreciated if she'd stick around and
give moral support. I promply dropped one of the wrenches in the fan
shroud and she, having thinner arms than mine, was able to fish it out
for me. I realized that I really needed three hands and she ended up
holding one of the wrenches while I removed the pulley with the other
one. She actually seemed interested in what was happening--I mean this
girl's got "keeper" written all over her. Finally got hub of the old
pulley off and the new one on, and showed her how to install a
serpentine belt--she was happy to know that. All around a pleasant
morning--alas she wasn't interested in continuing the relationship (I'm
old enough to be her grandpa, so I don't really blame her). Wish every
breakdown went that way.

Story told, I guess I should add mechanical lessons learned:

(a) The "OEM" brand puller from Autozone works fine to both pull and
press the pulley.

(b) There's a bolt in the press--if it was an inch shorter the whole
thing would work much better on a ZJ--if you ever need to do this see if
you can get a shorter bolt the same size.

(c) The job goes a lot faster if there's someone to hold the wrench on
the stationary part of the puller steady with two hands.

Those are the only ones I can think of. Otherwise it was pretty
straightforward.