[OT] F1 Qualifying... run that past me again

Old March 12th 06, 06:08 PM posted to rec.autos.simulators

Default F1 Qualifying... run that past me again

"Darus" > wrote in message
oups.com...
> Gee....care to fathom who racing is catered to? With the so called
> "largest TV audience" in the world, I guess "created for TV" is just
> what the doctor ordered. You have a better idea? Lemme guess....the old
> 12 lap/1 hour session where all the teams hid in the paddock until 10
> minutes remained and then went out and exchanged fast times between the
> same 4 drivers? Yep, entertaining TV no doubt.

Agreed. The best change, IMO, is the tire rule. The one set per race thing
sucked, at least for me. I hope that they get a bit more of close racing.
Last year was an improvement, but 3-4 cars on the lead lap (educated guess)
average per race is still sometimes boring. Anyone know if they are going
back to slicks? I think moving to slicks and decreasing downforce might help
some.......But the big money teams would probably still be able to design
around it.

Ed

Old March 12th 06, 10:07 PM posted to rec.autos.simulators

Can't speak for anywhere else, but Indy is $25 for Fri/Sat combo and
$15 for Saturday only. I'm already there anyway. Don't feel like I am
getting "milked". Plus all the support race stuff going on.

A single longer segment would be a return to the "old days" of all the
cars waiting for the backmarkers to clean off the track and then the
"big" teams rolling out with 5 min left to claim their spot. I would
support a 20 minute/6 lap limit session in which all teams were
required to roll out within 1 minute of the start of the session. This
would accomplish what I want to see in a Qual session. All out speed,
no regard for having to "save tires" or "pick a fuel level" or other
horse**** rules. Get all 22 cars on the frigging track and run HARD.
Simple!

Old March 13th 06, 03:43 AM posted to rec.autos.simulators

(Ed Medlin) wrote:

> The best change, IMO, is the tire rule.

Agreed.

Andrew McP

Old March 13th 06, 09:01 PM posted to rec.autos.simulators

Default [OT] F1 Qualifying... run that past me again

Andrew MacPherson wrote:
> Are Bernie & the gang on drugs? I'd repeat the new rules here, but they
> went right over my head when the BBC just ran through them. I really
> must learn to pay more attention now that watching F1 requires revision
> notes.

BBC? ITV, surely?
What it boils down to in the end is pandering to commercial TV.

1. Qualifying is split into several "sessions" to allow TV companies to
have long-ish commercial breaks without viewers complaining about their
coverage being interrupted. (You think this is bad in qualifying? Wait
until they bring out the pace car every 20 laps in the GPs so we can
have more commercials!)

2. The "best" teams are the only ones allowed on track in the final
session, and that's where the top times are set. That allows TV
companies from attention-deficiency-syndrome countries to show just the
final session if they want.

The ITV commentators themselves admitted that the "breaks" between the
qualifying sessions weren't long enough to allow the teams to do any
meaningful work or adjustments on the cars - obviously the format is
just for the benefit of commercial TV.
Old March 13th 06, 09:29 PM posted to rec.autos.simulators

Darus wrote:
> Can't speak for anywhere else, but Indy is $25 for Fri/Sat combo and
> $15 for Saturday only. I'm already there anyway. Don't feel like I am
> getting "milked". Plus all the support race stuff going on.
>
> A single longer segment would be a return to the "old days" of all the
> cars waiting for the backmarkers to clean off the track and then the
> "big" teams rolling out with 5 min left to claim their spot. I would
> support a 20 minute/6 lap limit session in which all teams were
> required to roll out within 1 minute of the start of the session. This
> would accomplish what I want to see in a Qual session. All out speed,
> no regard for having to "save tires" or "pick a fuel level" or other
> horse**** rules. Get all 22 cars on the frigging track and run HARD.
> Simple!

What date is the US Grand Prix at Indy this year?

Old March 13th 06, 10:36 PM posted to rec.autos.simulators

>I think the "who can refuel and when and by how much" thing is an
>unnecessary complication as well.

I thought so to until one of the Speedtv guys gave the rational, the
more laps you run in the 3rd session the faster you go because of the
lowered fuel load, so each team is encouraged to run as many or more
laps then the other guys. This keeps the maximum cars out on track in
front of the fans instead of them all waiting until the last 2 minutes.
At least that's the theory. I imagine monaco will throw a monkey
wrench into it...

The first session is to eliminate the wheat from the chaff and the 2nd
is to give TV time for the mid feilder's sponsors.....

Of course it's all for TV, what do you think timeouts are for in
Football and basketball, Hockey has TV breaks built in as well, they're
called penalties.

The one car at a time qualifying was like watching paint dry (or like
watching nascar qualifying)...

Old March 13th 06, 10:48 PM posted to rec.autos.simulators

Actually think the FIA finally did some things right with V8s, more tires, and the new qual format. Qualifying is now worth watching now even if it blows past some folks.

Wag

Old March 13th 06, 10:53 PM posted to rec.autos.simulators

errr....only ONE 'now' is needed.

Old March 13th 06, 11:14 PM posted to rec.autos.simulators

mcewena wrote:
>>I think the "who can refuel and when and by how much" thing is an
>>unnecessary complication as well.

> I thought so to until one of the Speedtv guys gave the rational, the
> more laps you run in the 3rd session the faster you go because of the
> lowered fuel load, so each team is encouraged to run as many or more
> laps then the other guys. This keeps the maximum cars out on track in
> front of the fans instead of them all waiting until the last 2 minutes.
> At least that's the theory. I imagine monaco will throw a monkey
> wrench into it...

Or some engineer will develop a gas guzzling engine map that can use up
half a tank in the outlap or maybe an aircon option as a health & safety
gesture for the Malaysian heat which mysteriously fails starting the
first flying lap?

Seriously though I think it is agood step to return to those exciting
qualifying sessions with traffic and multiple laps without the waiting
game for the lower runners to lay the rubber down.

Cheers
Tony
Old March 14th 06, 04:54 AM posted to rec.autos.simulators

Tony Rickard wrote in
. uk:

> mcewena wrote:
>>>I think the "who can refuel and when and by how much" thing is
>>>an unnecessary complication as well.

>> I thought so to until one of the Speedtv guys gave the
>> rational, the more laps you run in the 3rd session the faster
>> you go because of the lowered fuel load, so each team is
>> encouraged to run as many or more laps then the other guys.
>> This keeps the maximum cars out on track in front of the fans
>> instead of them all waiting until the last 2 minutes.
>> At least that's the theory. I imagine monaco will throw a
>> monkey
>> wrench into it...

> Or some engineer will develop a gas guzzling engine map that can
> use up half a tank in the outlap or maybe an aircon option as a
> health & safety gesture for the Malaysian heat which
> mysteriously fails starting the first flying lap?
>
> Seriously though I think it is agood step to return to those
> exciting qualifying sessions with traffic and multiple laps
> without the waiting game for the lower runners to lay the rubber
> down.
>
> Cheers
> Tony

They only get a gas credit for those laps that are faster than
107% of the ultimate pole time. And the gas credit, IIRC, is a
calculated value: don't ask me how it is calculated.

So if the driver goes out and does a bunch of slow laps to burn
off gas, he won't get any gas to replace that used in those slow
laps. That's what happened to MS, and he refered to the "missing"
lap's worth of fuel as costing him the race. If he had had that
extra lap added in, he could have stayed out longer and Fernando
wouldn't have been able to beat him out of the pits that last
time.

Since drivers don't know ahead of time what the pole position time
is going to be, they have to drive moderately fast to get their
laps to count. Not the same as full out speed, but still, better
than just cruising around to burn off fuel.

--
Darryl