rFactor review

Old September 4th 05, 03:15 AM
Jeff Reid

>I would agree Tony that the trainers are a blast. The F1 cars are a joke imho, I spent all of 2 minutes with them and
>shut them down.

F1's on a small track are just that fast in real life. Pesonally, the
F1 is my favorite car in rFactor.

Here's a video of a real F1 doing a fast lap at Spa, a 4 mile
track in about 1:45:

http://jeffareid.net/cgi-bin/spaf1.wmv

and F1C99-02 RH2004 mod's version of it (unlike the real thing
I'm using manual shift in this 7 speed Ferrari):

http://jeffareid.net/cgi-bin/f1cspa.wmv

rFactors formula car at Toban (dual view video):

http://jeffareid.net/cgi-bin/rfrf1tgp.wmv

Now this is arcade fast:
http://jeffareid.net/cgi-bin/nfsu2sx.wmv

Old September 4th 05, 06:36 AM
David G Fisher

"Jeff Reid" > wrote in message
> >I would agree Tony that the trainers are a blast. The F1 cars are a joke
> >imho, I spent all of 2 minutes with them and shut them down.

> F1's on a small track are just that fast in real life. Pesonally, the
> F1 is my favorite car in rFactor.
>
> Here's a video of a real F1 doing a fast lap at Spa, a 4 mile
> track in about 1:45:
>
> http://jeffareid.net/cgi-bin/spaf1.wmv
>
> and F1C99-02 RH2004 mod's version of it (unlike the real thing
> I'm using manual shift in this 7 speed Ferrari):
>
> http://jeffareid.net/cgi-bin/f1cspa.wmv
>
> rFactors formula car at Toban (dual view video):
>
> http://jeffareid.net/cgi-bin/rfrf1tgp.wmv
>
> Now this is arcade fast:
> http://jeffareid.net/cgi-bin/nfsu2sx.wmv

People act like they've never seen an onboard lap at Monaco. The cars hit
300kph there, and it's the slowest course on the schedule.

--
David G Fisher

Old September 4th 05, 06:37 AM
David G Fisher

"David G Fisher" > wrote in message
news

> "Jeff Reid" > wrote in message
>> >I would agree Tony that the trainers are a blast. The F1 cars are a
>> >joke imho, I spent all of 2 minutes with them and shut them down.

>> F1's on a small track are just that fast in real life. Pesonally, the
>> F1 is my favorite car in rFactor.
>>
>> Here's a video of a real F1 doing a fast lap at Spa, a 4 mile
>> track in about 1:45:
>>
>> http://jeffareid.net/cgi-bin/spaf1.wmv
>>
>> and F1C99-02 RH2004 mod's version of it (unlike the real thing
>> I'm using manual shift in this 7 speed Ferrari):
>>
>> http://jeffareid.net/cgi-bin/f1cspa.wmv
>>
>> rFactors formula car at Toban (dual view video):
>>
>> http://jeffareid.net/cgi-bin/rfrf1tgp.wmv
>>
>> Now this is arcade fast:
>> http://jeffareid.net/cgi-bin/nfsu2sx.wmv
>>

> People act like they've never seen an onboard lap at Monaco. The cars hit
> 300kph there, and it's the slowest course on the schedule.
>

> --
> David G Fisher

Great lap at Toban btw. :-)

--
David G Fisher

Old September 4th 05, 09:07 AM
Byron Forbes

"David G Fisher" > wrote in message
news

> People act like they've never seen an onboard lap at Monaco. The cars hit
> 300kph there, and it's the slowest course on the schedule.

Yeah, the F1s seem ok to me. I don't know what people expect! Maybe they
have all the aids on or something. Mind you, I have not done many laps in
them yet - really enjoying those trainers!

Old September 4th 05, 01:13 PM
Jeff Reid

>> People act like they've never seen an onboard lap at Monaco. The cars hit 300kph there, and it's the slowest course
>> on the schedule.

> Yeah, the F1s seem ok to me. I don't know what people expect! Maybe they have all the aids on or something.

Hey I need those aids (at least traction control) to make my videos look
cool, else I'd never be using 1st gear in the F1. I'm finally got into the
1:07's with aids on, haven't tried with all aids off again since my last
session, where I just got to mid 1:09's. For me, it's about a 1.5 to 2 second
difference per lap with an without aids. Part of the issue is a different
setup is needed for no aids (taller gearing, more forward brake balance
can help when not running any aids [except auto clutch]).

Old September 4th 05, 03:27 PM
Remco Moedt

On Sat, 03 Sep 2005 17:47:23 GMT, Tony Rickard
> wrote:

<Snip nice review>

In short my thoughts about rFactor is: Great graphics/sounds/'physics'

Nice cars/tracks, and the possibility of mods is great.

Weak controller support/replay facilities/netcode/

Bad AI

Especially the AI/netcode worries me, since driving on your own gets
boring very fast. So far the online races I've been in are like 1
hour practice/1 hour qualify/5 laps race....why on Earth do you want
to practice/qualify 2 hours for a 7 minutes race? I'm sure this is
adjustable, but the defaults choosen is weird.

Furthermore I see mostly F1 cars online, with people 'driving' them
like accelarate/corner/crash/etc. So far I haven't seen a single
proper online race. (Alan, close your eyes) Those 'To Curve Grande
Sprints' on GPL Monza were high class races compared to this...

Cheers!

Remco

Old September 4th 05, 03:59 PM
whooo

Remco Moedt wrote:
> On Sat, 03 Sep 2005 17:47:23 GMT, Tony Rickard
> > wrote:
>
> <Snip nice review>
>
> In short my thoughts about rFactor is: Great graphics/sounds/'physics'
>
> Nice cars/tracks, and the possibility of mods is great.
>
> Weak controller support/replay facilities/netcode/

I just don't understand why people don't just use the Papy method for this!

> Bad AI

This has been fixed.

> Especially the AI/netcode worries me, since driving on your own gets
> boring very fast. So far the online races I've been in are like 1
> hour practice/1 hour qualify/5 laps race....why on Earth do you want
> to practice/qualify 2 hours for a 7 minutes race? I'm sure this is
> adjustable, but the defaults choosen is weird.

It can be changed.

> Furthermore I see mostly F1 cars online, with people 'driving' them
> like accelarate/corner/crash/etc. So far I haven't seen a single
> proper online race. (Alan, close your eyes) Those 'To Curve Grande
> Sprints' on GPL Monza were high class races compared to this...

I raced on-line this morning in the Academy trainer against another 19
drivers drving ATs, and it was fantastic! Really good driving by
everyone, from what I saw. No warp either.

Don't know why people jump straight into the F1s.
Accelerate/corner/crash just about sums them up!
Old September 4th 05, 04:24 PM
Jeff Reid

> Hey I need those aids (at least traction control) to make my videos look
> cool, else I'd never be using 1st gear in the F1. I'm finally got into the
> 1:07's with aids on ...

I updated the video, so it's a bit cleaner and faster (sub 1:07.5), link is
still the same:

http://jeffareid.net/cgi-bin/rfrf1tgp.wmv

Old September 4th 05, 04:33 PM
Jeff Reid

> > Furthermore I see mostly F1 cars online,

Maybe the first night, I saw more of a mix on the second night.

> I raced on-line this morning in the Academy trainer against another 19 drivers drving ATs,

How many survived?

> Don't know why people jump straight into the F1s. Accelerate/corner/crash just about sums them up!

I don't think the car matters, my one and only win online was a 20 lap
race at Toban GP with the Howston. At the start, I pulled over and
let all the cars go by, to avoid the early wrecks. My strategy was
to conserve the tires and not pit at all, since pit time is pretty
long. The race started with 15 cars and ended up with just 3.

One cool effect with an online replay is that if you just jump to the
end and back up a lap, you can see all the cars that left as ghost cars
(the surviving cars go right though these cars).