iRacing... help... must... resist!

Old July 11th 08, 10:49 AM posted to rec.autos.simulators
Guy de Montmorency-Laval

Default iRacing... help... must... resist!

"Larry" > wrote in :

> If you pay $20 for say rFactor, then try to sell it, someone might
> take it off your hands for $2. And we won't get into the copy
> protection/online activation issues that would crop up.

You can buy rFactor boxed version for twenty bucks at WalMart. Boxed
version requires no activation.
Old July 11th 08, 12:56 PM posted to rec.autos.simulators
Larry[_1_]

Don't forget, when you subscribe you get iRacing $$$ to spend. If you sign
up for a year you get $60, and that will buy you 4 cars (IIRC @ $15 each).
Or a car or two and a track or two. I think tracks are $15 to $25.

I don't think monthly gets you much in the way of iRacing $$$ though, so
after the first month it's best to either do it or not and go for the year.
It's only $13 a month for full year plus you get the $60 in iRacing $$$.

Typically you should have raced your way OUT of the Solstice and Legends
cars by then, and ready to spend your $60 iRacing dollars on the cars for
the next level.

There is a method to the madness

-Larry

ddress_disguised...

Old July 11th 08, 12:57 PM posted to rec.autos.simulators
Larry[_1_]

Missed my point. You still can't sell it for much later on.

-Larry

Old July 11th 08, 07:49 PM posted to rec.autos.simulators
btgoss

On Jul 10, 2:37*pm, (Andrew
MacPherson) wrote:

> I think that would be a brilliant step forward eventually. However I do
> think, on reflection, that where we're going wrong is not taking iRacing
> seriously enough. It is not -- as we've been told countless times before
> -- intended for the casual gaming market... and that includes most of us
> these days, no matter how much we might like to think we're still
> hardcore future champions. :-)
>
> Andrew McP

I agree with you 100%. I share your view that they are taking this
very seriously. Unfortunately, I think that is why it may ultimately
have to become more of a stand alone product, or fail. I don't think
they will ever get the numbers of subscribers they need @ $15 USD a
month to support further development.
Old July 11th 08, 08:09 PM posted to rec.autos.simulators
Guy de Montmorency-Laval

"Larry" > wrote in news
> Missed my point. You still can't sell it for much later on.
>
> -Larry

Why would I want to? I have both Trymedia and boxed version (came with
TrackIR) of rFactor and have no intention to sell either.
Old July 11th 08, 08:20 PM posted to rec.autos.simulators
hoover

On Fri, 11 Jul 2008 07:57:02 -0400, Larry wrote:
> Missed my point. You still can't sell it for much later on.

But I can n0t haz a box on my shelf added to my collection of sim
titles (lolcat speak intended ;-), re-install it three years down the
road when the mood strikes me, all that. Not possible with iR in its
current state (ok, I got the "thank you" stickers for the beta test,
but well, would you stick them on a 10 year old Ford Mondeo hatchback?
;-)

I don't consider this an investment like owning n2k3 turned out to be,
but I'm just "licensing stuff" which will be taken away from me the
minute my subscription runs out. Granted it's there when I choose to
sign up again, but somehow that's just not the same as having a nice
DVD case to look at and to dust off every once in a while.

Uwe

Old July 11th 08, 11:28 PM posted to rec.autos.simulators
Tony R

hoover wrote:

> I don't consider this an investment like owning n2k3 turned out to be,
> but I'm just "licensing stuff" which will be taken away from me the
> minute my subscription runs out. Granted it's there when I choose to
> sign up again, but somehow that's just not the same as having a nice
> DVD case to look at and to dust off every once in a while.

I guess like album covers will become a thing of the past...

On the investment side I think the opposite, NR2003 didn't have the
ongoing development that iRacing will have. Once the boxed product hits
the shelf who knows what project the developers will work on next and
what deal will be struck with publishers. iRacing feels like getting on
board with the developers and a long term relationship building between
sim racers and a development team. I guess only time will tell.

Cheers
Tony
Old July 12th 08, 12:12 AM posted to rec.autos.simulators
0-0-0-0-0

"Larry" > wrote in message
> Don't forget, when you subscribe you get iRacing $$$ to spend. If you
> sign up for a year you get $60, and that will buy you 4 cars (IIRC @ $15
> each). Or a car or two and a track or two. I think tracks are $15 to $25.
>
> I don't think monthly gets you much in the way of iRacing $$$ though, so
> after the first month it's best to either do it or not and go for the
> year. It's only $13 a month for full year plus you get the $60 in iRacing
> $$$.
>
> Typically you should have raced your way OUT of the Solstice and Legends
> cars by then, and ready to spend your $60 iRacing dollars on the cars for
> the next level.
>
> There is a method to the madness
>
> -Larry

Yes there is a method to the madness..... it's called trying to turn a
profit.

Old July 12th 08, 12:22 AM posted to rec.autos.simulators
0-0-0-0-0

Someone should also mention that if iRacing ISN'T there anymore......
your stuff aint there anymore either!

It's like a speculation investment

"hoover" > wrote in message
e...
> On Fri, 11 Jul 2008 07:57:02 -0400, Larry wrote:
>> Missed my point. You still can't sell it for much later on.
>>

> But I can n0t haz a box on my shelf added to my collection of sim
> titles (lolcat speak intended ;-), re-install it three years down the
> road when the mood strikes me, all that. Not possible with iR in its
> current state (ok, I got the "thank you" stickers for the beta test,
> but well, would you stick them on a 10 year old Ford Mondeo hatchback?
> ;-)
>
> I don't consider this an investment like owning n2k3 turned out to be,
> but I'm just "licensing stuff" which will be taken away from me the
> minute my subscription runs out. Granted it's there when I choose to
> sign up again, but somehow that's just not the same as having a nice
> DVD case to look at and to dust off every once in a while.
>
> Uwe

iRacing - weather? Byron Forbes Simulators 8 June 20th 08 06:25 AM
iRacing Who? [email protected] Simulators 62 August 10th 07 10:01 PM
iRacing what? _Mitch Simulators 4 August 1st 07 04:27 AM
New A4... must.. resist... Bram Audi 5 December 2nd 04 04:16 AM