iRacing... help... must... resist!

Old July 10th 08, 06:27 PM posted to rec.autos.simulators
Joe Moore

Default iRacing... help... must... resist!

"David Fisher's Left Testicle" <dfg.myass@aol> wrote in
:

> What the **** are you going in here then?

Um, gee, let's see now.

GTL
GTR2
LFS
rFactor
Race07
F1 Challenge '99-02'

Need some more to validate my posting to this group?
Old July 10th 08, 06:36 PM posted to rec.autos.simulators
Larry[_1_]

I rarely find myself disagreeing with ya bud, but on this one?

Exactly when has a used game been worth anything anyway? There is one, and
only one example I can think of and thats NR2003 during the days when it was
selling for $150 on eBait.

If you pay $20 for say rFactor, then try to sell it, someone might take it
off your hands for $2. And we won't get into the copy protection/online
activation issues that would crop up.

It should also be mentioned that anything you buy in iRacing is yours
forever. If you leave the service then come back later, it will still be
yours. They don't take it away if you leave for a while.

-Larry

e...

Old July 10th 08, 06:43 PM posted to rec.autos.simulators
Larry[_1_]

"Alan Bernardo" > wrote in message
m...

> I tried it for a month. But come renew time I don't think I'm going to
> continue with it. I don't like the cost and everything is too "high-brow"
> for me.

Aha! That's my problem, and why I'm so slow! I'm driving around with my
nose stuck up in the air

> There's too much of things like, "I got touched by another guy now my
> rating is going to suffer!"

Understandable, but yes it is getting old. Having someone else take away
something you worked very hard for is hard to swallow. We will see this
with every new group as they come in until they settle down. After a while
reality will set in and for that group this too shall pass. I hope

> And things are a bit too structured for my tastes. If I'm going to spend
> so much a month, why is it that I can't get some of my buds together, get
> on a server, and race without ratings and all the rest of the stuff they
> have?

That's not what iRacing is about, and one of the primary reasons it's not
for everyone. Club racing IS on the board/being considered, but there are
bigger fish to fry right now I suspect.

> I'm paying a monthly fe but I'm being led about as if I were a dog on a
> leash.

Ah, come on man. Really. iRacing rules are no different/worse than rules
the real drivers have to contend with.

> I'll take rFactor, LFS, GTR2, etc., and race without having to pay a fee,
> and leave all the elitists to do their own thing.

LOL!

Old July 10th 08, 07:06 PM posted to rec.autos.simulators
Alan Bernardo[_5_]

"Larry" > wrote in message
> "Alan Bernardo" > wrote in message
> m...
>
>> I tried it for a month. But come renew time I don't think I'm going to
>> continue with it. I don't like the cost and everything is too
>> "high-brow" for me.

> Aha! That's my problem, and why I'm so slow! I'm driving around with my
> nose stuck up in the air
>
>> There's too much of things like, "I got touched by another guy now my
>> rating is going to suffer!"

> Understandable, but yes it is getting old. Having someone else take away
> something you worked very hard for is hard to swallow. We will see this
> with every new group as they come in until they settle down. After a
> while reality will set in and for that group this too shall pass. I hope
>

>> And things are a bit too structured for my tastes. If I'm going to spend
>> so much a month, why is it that I can't get some of my buds together, get
>> on a server, and race without ratings and all the rest of the stuff they
>> have?

> That's not what iRacing is about, and one of the primary reasons it's not
> for everyone. Club racing IS on the board/being considered, but there are
> bigger fish to fry right now I suspect.
>
>> I'm paying a monthly fe but I'm being led about as if I were a dog on a
>> leash.

> Ah, come on man. Really. iRacing rules are no different/worse than rules
> the real drivers have to contend with.
>
>> I'll take rFactor, LFS, GTR2, etc., and race without having to pay a fee,
>> and leave all the elitists to do their own thing.

> LOL!

I know, Larry. I do appreciate the invite but the thing is not for me. As
far as the "dog on the leash reference", I was referring to having to race
what they say and when they say it. I wasn't talking about the contact
rules, which are pretty fair. I think a driver can have a bit of contact
and still progress.

The thing that bothers me is that though I'm paying a monthly fee, I cannot
just start my own server, invite some friends, and race the car and track
that I want to, without ratings and contact rules. I think that if they
added this to the options, they'd get thousands of more subscribers.

Alan

Old July 10th 08, 09:11 PM posted to rec.autos.simulators
Tony R

Andrew MacPherson wrote:

> I watched a couple of Solstice races (I think) which really got my juices
> running. My main problem with most of them though is that I burst out
> laughing whenever I see that Legends car. I guess it must mean something
> historically to those in the USA, but I can't imagine how anyone ever
> thought that was a good shape for a racing car! I'd feel embarrassed
> sitting inside one, even online in front of complete strangers. :-)

The Legends are a hoot to drive but like you I don't feel like I am in a
real car!

> To be completely fair though, the Solstice looks more entertaining and
> almost like a proper racing car... even if it weighs almost as much as
> the average moon. I might enjoy driving that for a while even though it's
> the open-wheelers I'd want to get my hands on ASAP.

If you are into road racing and you want to trial iRacing you really
need to buy the Skippy so make that $35. The Skip Barber is excellent
and will make you just want to go and drive it GPL demo style IMHO.

iRacing is a very good simulator - the best in my view, however it
doesn't make everything else redundant. There are some great historic
racing sims/mods which the lack of fidelity compared to iracing actually
works well jumping from one to the other. For sheer brutal performance
iRacing doesn't provide a top end car yet.

Arrive & drive (pick up in olden day terms) racing is very good,
although scheduled weekly racing with a defined registered group of
drivers is better provided in Race2Play or a league.

For the sim racing addict it is a must have along with the likes of
GTR2, Race07 & rFactor for its quality online racing on tap and training
capability of the quality modelled cars & tracks.

For the casual sim racer it may not seem such good value, only you can
judge that.

The only thing I would stress is that driving teh Solstice alone does
not do it justice.

Cheers
Tony

Old July 10th 08, 09:28 PM posted to rec.autos.simulators
Tony R

Alan Bernardo wrote:

> The thing that bothers me is that though I'm paying a monthly fee, I cannot
> just start my own server, invite some friends, and race the car and track
> that I want to, without ratings and contact rules. I think that if they
> added this to the options, they'd get thousands of more subscribers.

One of the key features of iRacing is organising drivers together on
track so drivers can turn up and race any time. This won't be a major
appeal to those used to organising their own events, but for getting
more people in to sim racing without needing to get invited into a
league or commit to a schedule iRacing would seem to have a formula for
attracting subscribers which fragmenting drivers across many leagues
would work against.

I actually think iRacing is a more complementary product than I first
expected. It sits nicely on my HD alongside the historic mods for GTR2 &
rFactor.

Cheers
Tony
Old July 11th 08, 12:39 AM posted to rec.autos.simulators
Jan Verschueren

"Andrew MacPherson"...
> Ok, so this invitation lands in my inbox. <snip>
> Would it hurt to spend $20 and put a toe in the
> water? <snip>

Sit tight, McP, I've got some vacation coming up in two weeks and I'm gonna
spend the $20 to see what Franky was raving about...

Jan.
=---

Old July 11th 08, 07:21 AM posted to rec.autos.simulators
David Fisher's Left Testicle

"Alan Bernardo" > wrote in message
m...

> "Andrew MacPherson" > wrote in message
> ddress_disguised...
>> Ok, so this invitation lands in my inbox. Now I've already said I dislike
>> the pricing model of iRacing intensely, and that I really object to
>> having to drive vehicles I have zero interest in, then pay -- when I'm
>> allowed -- to add decent vehicles & tracks.
>>
>> So can someone explain to me why I've spent the last hour reading about
>> iRacing and watching youtube clips? Would it hurt to spend $20 and put a
>> toe in the water? Ok it'd be to drive a vehicle that looks & drives like
>> a tank, around tracks I've never driven before. And chances are I'd never
>> even go online with it... just do some offline circuits -- GPL demo style
>> -- to see what all the fuss is about.
>>
>> My head says don't be stupid... you know you'll never enjoy paying out
>> regularly for a racing game when you already have 101 other distractions
>> in life. You'll never get your money's worth... and you were always a
>> lousy driver anyway. The best that can happen is that you get addicted
>> and spend the next few months watching your penalty points clock up,
>> dooming you to drive in an eternal limbo of newbie races while others
>> zoom up the rankings and witter on about how they were once in a race
>> with someone who got out of the way for a Real Race Driver(TM).
>> It's just not a product aimed at enthusiastic, but fundamentally
>> untalented racers like you! Stick to rFactor when you need a racing fix,
>> or LFS when you want to contribute to never-ending product development,
>> or GTR2 when you want to listen to amazing engine noises.
>>
>> But my heart whispers 'GPL2', and it's very hypnotic. I think I'd better
>> delete that invite quickly!
>>
>> Andrew McP... methinks he doth protest too much

> I tried it for a month. But come renew time I don't think I'm going to
> continue with it. I don't like the cost and everything is too "high-brow"
> for me. There's too much of things like, "I got touched by another guy
> now my rating is going to suffer!" And things are a bit too structured
> for my tastes. If I'm going to spend so much a month, why is it that I
> can't get some of my buds together, get on a server, and race without
> ratings and all the rest of the stuff they have?
>
> I'm paying a monthly fee but I'm being led about as if I were a dog on a
> leash.
>
> Boo-hoo.
>
> I'll take rFactor, LFS, GTR2, etc., and race without having to pay a fee,
> and leave all the elitists to do their own thing.

Nice snide swipe at the iRacing community there.

>If I'm going to spend so much a month

You must be poor if you think 20 bucks is a lot. Or just a tight arse.

iRacing - weather? Byron Forbes Simulators 8 June 20th 08 06:25 AM
iRacing Who? [email protected] Simulators 62 August 10th 07 10:01 PM
iRacing what? _Mitch Simulators 4 August 1st 07 04:27 AM
New A4... must.. resist... Bram Audi 5 December 2nd 04 04:16 AM