BEWARE of Unintended Acceleration...

Old December 24th 06, 05:13 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang
GatorMan

Default BEWARE of Unintended Acceleration...

Beware and be warned. My 2006 Mustang GT Premium Coupe w/ auto trans. We
took delivery of this Mustang on October 27th 0f this year. A brand new
2006 leftover. We have not had the car two months yet. The car has only
1100 miles on it.

We went to visit a friend this evening to check out the Christmas
Lights. Upon leaving to come home around 6:30 the Mustang took off all
by itself. I backed out of his driveway and as soon as I put the car in
drive the engine revved up all by itself. I put not one but both feet on
the brakes and could not stop it. The engine would not slow down or go
back to idle. All I could do was steer and try to avoid hitting things.
Well I missed the first house in my path, but went up on the lawn of the
second home and hit a Cadillac in the driveway. I careened of the Caddy
and made a 90 degree turn going across the street into a driveway
hitting the garage and finally coming to a stop.

When I get the car back from the body shop, I am thinking it needs a
dead-man switch installed. The least I can do for my family's safety.

Drive careful, with those Mustangs (with the drive by wire systems).

Ron in Florida

Old December 24th 06, 05:49 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang
Brent P[_1_]

In article >, GatorMan wrote:

> We went to visit a friend this evening to check out the Christmas
> Lights. Upon leaving to come home around 6:30 the Mustang took off all
> by itself. I backed out of his driveway and as soon as I put the car in
> drive the engine revved up all by itself. I put not one but both feet on
> the brakes and could not stop it.

Not possible. No stock street vehicle has enough power to overcome it's
braking system. Personally I had _ONE_ rear drum brake stick on a '75
maverick and it could barely move. (oddly enough I had the throttle
stick one day when starting it up, I just turned it off and freed the
linkage, lubed it and went on with my day) In rec.autos.tech there is
thread on a vehicle that has a braking problem where the brakes, all
four are dragging and his car can't move under it's own power until the
brakes release. No, there is no way that you can be on the brakes and
the car get away from you if the brakes are in good servicable condition.

> The engine would not slow down or go
> back to idle. All I could do was steer and try to avoid hitting things.

Never thought of turning the key off?

> Well I missed the first house in my path, but went up on the lawn of the
> second home and hit a Cadillac in the driveway. I careened of the Caddy
> and made a 90 degree turn going across the street into a driveway
> hitting the garage and finally coming to a stop.

Sounding more like a troll.

> When I get the car back from the body shop, I am thinking it needs a
> dead-man switch installed. The least I can do for my family's safety.

Or you could just turn the key off. (of course maybe just not confuse
the pedals in the future)

> Drive careful, with those Mustangs (with the drive by wire systems).

Throttle by wire or throttle cable sticking, same difference, turn off
the key.

Old December 24th 06, 06:28 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang
GatorMan

I didn't think I would have to deal with an idiot right off the bat.
You have wonderful hindsight Brent, and it is just that, HIND-SIGHT.
All this occured in a matter of two minutes. I was busy just trying to
avoid things, you idiot. As for the brakes, I got a test for you Brent.
Put your vehicle in drive, rev it up to 5000 rpm's and then put on your
brakes. Continue to keep your foot on the gas pedal. Let me know if it
stops. Don't do this on any crowded streets. And don't stand in front of
the car........
Ron

Old December 24th 06, 07:25 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang
Sarah Czepiel

On Sun, 24 Dec 2006 00:13:25 -0500, GatorMan > wrote:

:>Beware and be warned. My 2006 Mustang GT Premium Coupe w/ auto trans. We
:>took delivery of this Mustang on October 27th 0f this year. A brand new
:>2006 leftover. We have not had the car two months yet. The car has only
:>1100 miles on it.
:>
:>We went to visit a friend this evening to check out the Christmas
:>Lights. Upon leaving to come home around 6:30 the Mustang took off all
:>by itself. I backed out of his driveway and as soon as I put the car in
:>drive the engine revved up all by itself. I put not one but both feet on
:>the brakes and could not stop it. The engine would not slow down or go
:>back to idle. All I could do was steer and try to avoid hitting things.
:>Well I missed the first house in my path, but went up on the lawn of the
:>second home and hit a Cadillac in the driveway. I careened of the Caddy
:>and made a 90 degree turn going across the street into a driveway
:>hitting the garage and finally coming to a stop.

Who taught you to drive? Put the gear lever in neutral and turn the
key off. Sheesh.

:>When I get the car back from the body shop, I am thinking it needs a
:>dead-man switch installed. The least I can do for my family's safety.

:>Drive careful, with those Mustangs (with the drive by wire systems).
:>
:>Ron in Florida

You don't live under a bridge by any chance do you, Ron?
Old December 24th 06, 07:39 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang
Sarah Czepiel

On Sun, 24 Dec 2006 01:28:19 -0500, GatorMan > wrote:

:>I didn't think I would have to deal with an idiot right off the bat.
:>You have wonderful hindsight Brent, and it is just that, HIND-SIGHT.
:>All this occured in a matter of two minutes.

You spent two minutes bouncing around because you couldn't think to
turn the key off, but Brent is the idiot?

<guffaw!>

I was busy just trying to
:>avoid things, you idiot.

Was common sense one of them? Haven't you ever considered what you'd
do in different driving situations?

You must be a riot driving on snow.

As for the brakes, I got a test for you Brent.
:>Put your vehicle in drive, rev it up to 5000 rpm's and then put on your
:>brakes. Continue to keep your foot on the gas pedal. Let me know if it
:>stops. Don't do this on any crowded streets. And don't stand in front of
:>the car........
:>Ron

Heh, don't try and drag everyone else down to your level of
stupidity.....

Sell the car and get ourself a Vespa.

:>Brent P wrote:
:>> In article >, GatorMan wrote:
:>
:>>

Old December 24th 06, 07:39 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang
BradandBrooks

"Brent P" > wrote in message
. ..
> In article >, GatorMan wrote:
>
>> We went to visit a friend this evening to check out the Christmas
>> Lights. Upon leaving to come home around 6:30 the Mustang took off all
>> by itself. I backed out of his driveway and as soon as I put the car in
>> drive the engine revved up all by itself. I put not one but both feet on
>> the brakes and could not stop it.

> Not possible. No stock street vehicle has enough power to overcome it's
> braking system. Personally I had _ONE_ rear drum brake stick on a '75
> maverick and it could barely move. (oddly enough I had the throttle
> stick one day when starting it up, I just turned it off and freed the
> linkage, lubed it and went on with my day) In rec.autos.tech there is
> thread on a vehicle that has a braking problem where the brakes, all
> four are dragging and his car can't move under it's own power until the
> brakes release. No, there is no way that you can be on the brakes and
> the car get away from you if the brakes are in good servicable condition.

I can't buy this either. The brakes should have held the car. Maybe there is
a problem there too. Gotta show us the police report on this one.

Brad

Old December 24th 06, 07:54 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang
Brent P[_1_]

In article >, GatorMan wrote:
> I didn't think I would have to deal with an idiot right off the bat.

You don't like being called on your ignorance or troll, don't post it.
Better yet, learn how to drive. The accelerator is on the right, the
brake in the middle, and the clutch on the left. Which is another thing,
with a mustang the way it should be you push in the clutch pedal and the
engine can't move the car anywhere.

> You have wonderful hindsight Brent, and it is just that, HIND-SIGHT.

No it's not. It's another driver who doesn't know how to operate a car or
a bull**** post.

> All this occured in a matter of two minutes. I was busy just trying to
> avoid things, you idiot.

Maybe you should know which pedal is the brake and which one is the
accelerator, moron.

> As for the brakes, I got a test for you Brent.
> Put your vehicle in drive, rev it up to 5000 rpm's and then put on your
> brakes.

Drive? My car's don't have 'drive'. They have real transmissions.

> Continue to keep your foot on the gas pedal. Let me know if it
> stops. Don't do this on any crowded streets. And don't stand in front of
> the car........

Neither of my cars can overcome their braking systems.

Old December 24th 06, 07:59 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang
WindsorFox

GatorMan wrote:
> I didn't think I would have to deal with an idiot right off the bat.

Sorry, Brent is *not* an idiot. He's been in this group
for quite some time and is very knowledgeable.

> You have wonderful hindsight Brent, and it is just that, HIND-SIGHT.

I've been restoring and driving old raggedy cars since
the early to mid 70's. When I was 15 I had a a 1966 427PI
Thunderbird stick at WOT. The very first thing that crossed
my mind was to run off the key. I did so without taking my
eyes off the road. Do you know where the key is on a 66 T-Bird?

> All this occured in a matter of two minutes. I was busy just trying to
> avoid things, you idiot.

Min incident lasted less than 30 seconds since as soon
as I knew it was stuck I turned off the key.

> As for the brakes, I got a test for you Brent.
> Put your vehicle in drive, rev it up to 5000 rpm's and then put on your
> brakes.

Possibly not immediately, but that's not what happened
by your explanation. And I have tried this with several
vehicles. I did so after the incident on the news a number
of years ago and several entities publicly said they could
not reproduce the incident and could not get any car to over
power it's brakes in any situation. I believe one was
Consumer Reports.

> Continue to keep your foot on the gas pedal. Let me know if it
> stops.

Been there done that, but just for ****s and giggles, I'm
going to try this tomorrow with one of the most powerful and
fastest full sized trucks currently on the market, the
Nissan Titan. I let you boys know what happened sometime
tomorrow evening. If you never hear from me again, you may
assume it had disastrous results. Don't count on it though.

> Don't do this on any crowded streets. And don't stand in front of
> the car........
> Ron

Sorry bubb, nothing personal, but I find this a little
hard to swallow.

--
“I intended that "not stupid" be a requirement.” – Seth
Breidbart
Old December 24th 06, 07:59 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang
My Name Is Nobody

"GatorMan" > wrote in message
.. .
> Beware and be warned. My 2006 Mustang GT Premium Coupe w/ auto trans. We
> took delivery of this Mustang on October 27th 0f this year. A brand new
> 2006 leftover. We have not had the car two months yet. The car has only
> 1100 miles on it.
>
> We went to visit a friend this evening to check out the Christmas Lights.
> Upon leaving to come home around 6:30 the Mustang took off all by itself.
> I backed out of his driveway and as soon as I put the car in drive the
> engine revved up all by itself. I put not one but both feet on the brakes
> and could not stop it. The engine would not slow down or go back to idle.
> All I could do was steer and try to avoid hitting things. Well I missed
> the first house in my path, but went up on the lawn of the second home and
> hit a Cadillac in the driveway. I careened of the Caddy and made a 90
> degree turn going across the street into a driveway hitting the garage and
> finally coming to a stop.
>
> When I get the car back from the body shop, I am thinking it needs a
> dead-man switch installed. The least I can do for my family's safety.
>
> Drive careful, with those Mustangs (with the drive by wire systems).
>
> Ron in Florida

Ron,

This was plain and simple, driver error. No modern automobile with
functional brakes can continue traveling while fully applying the brakes...
Its time for you to surrender your drivers license, you have clearly
illustrated here that you are incapable of controlling a motor vehicle.
Please do us all a favor and get off the road before you kill someone.

Old December 24th 06, 08:02 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang
WindsorFox

Brent P wrote:

> Throttle by wire or throttle cable sticking, same difference, turn off
> the key.

Does the Mustang actually have a DBW system? Nissan had
some trouble with these when they first came out, but it was
only in the FXs and when the pedal sensor fails, it fails to
an idle, not WOT.