first FIRST Racing screenshots

Old February 17th 06, 01:36 AM posted to rec.autos.simulators

Default first FIRST Racing screenshots

Looks pretty good to me...
On image #8 (Stafford raceway), you can see the cracks on the track and
the moss growing.

Trees look nice too. Seems like modified, late models and the Barber
Dodge series will be modeled this time. Short track sweetness.

Old February 17th 06, 01:44 AM posted to rec.autos.simulators

Bob Loblaw wrote:
> You can take a look at them he
> http://www.bhmotorsports.com/FIRST/screenshots
>
> Graphically, i'm rather unimpressed. The car models are bland, and the grass
> textures are simply fake looking. I was hoping for next gen graphics but got
> 2003 era ones instead.
>
> When are we going to see photo realistic graphics? Most grass textures i
> have seen so far look nothing like real grass. Even the asphalt looks like a
> grey texture with random black dots.

You do realize their attorneys are already drawing up legal papers
claiming ownership to your PC for providing a link to a website that
contains images of their work.

--
Scott B. Husted
http://www.Husted.cc
Old February 17th 06, 02:52 AM posted to rec.autos.simulators

Moss growing on a race track!!!

How often is that track used?

news

Old February 17th 06, 05:01 AM posted to rec.autos.simulators

>"Dave Henrie" > wrote
> I cannot address this issue without bias, which may become clearer in
> the coming months. But I think you all are getting wrapped up in the fact
> that this still 'looks' like a Papyrus sim. Why shouldn't it? They have
> style that is unique and simply because they are graduating to a new
> product, we somehow arrive at the conclusion that they should present
> something that is totally different.

I have to agree with you Dave here. I dpn't see what's the fuss all about.
Graphics are pretty much up to the Papyrus standards, they probably still
use those contracted Russians. I always liked the palette they used. Some
say bland, I say natural. The artistic quality standards have always been
up high at Papy. They might not be processor-pusher, but tend to follow an
singular artistic direction (GPL, N3, NR2003, etc...). Why is that bad?

Anyway, since when have we've been judging a Papyrus.. (errr) iRacing sim on
its look?

This isn't comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.*

> I am not looking at the textures, or the version of DX they are using,
> I'm seeing VIR and Lime Rock 'as they really are.' No more of this corner
> being wrong or that part of the track being too wide..or those bumps not
> being there. Regardless of how they sell the product and or which
> audience
> they target, this stands to be a huge step forward.

Accuracy = quality, whatever texture you're using. The corner is there,
it's accurate, it feels good, and the physics feel good.. Quantity and
looks doesn't necessary mean quality.

--
-- François Ménard <ymenard>
-- This announcement is brought to you by the Shimago-Dominguez

Old February 17th 06, 05:06 AM posted to rec.autos.simulators

>"Ludwig" > wrote
> I used my ocular senses to focus on the images presented to me.

Subjectivity, the mother of all lies.

Old February 17th 06, 01:26 PM posted to rec.autos.simulators

Trust me. You need the dictionary.

-Larry

oups.com...

Old February 17th 06, 02:50 PM posted to rec.autos.simulators

"Dave Henrie" > wrote in message
. 97.136...
> "Steve Simpson" > wrote in
> :
>
>>> When are we going to see photo realistic graphics? Most grass
>>> textures i have seen so far look nothing like real grass. Even the
>>> asphalt looks like a grey texture with random black dots.

>> Well I'm not expecting photorealism but I agree those shots look
>> bland. Textures are very low res and it looks like it using Direct X 6
>> judging by the lighting.
>>

> I cannot address this issue without bias, which may become clearer in
> the coming months. But I think you all are getting wrapped up in the fact
> that this still 'looks' like a Papyrus sim. Why shouldn't it? They have
> style that is unique and simply because they are graduating to a new
> product, we somehow arrive at the conclusion that they should present
> something that is totally different.
> I am not looking at the textures, or the version of DX they are using,
> I'm seeing VIR and Lime Rock 'as they really are.' No more of this corner
> being wrong or that part of the track being too wide..or those bumps not
> being there. Regardless of how they sell the product and or which
> audience
> they target, this stands to be a huge step forward.
>
> I have been critical of the Papyrus morph to First and then iRacing. I
> don't have a plan at this point to purchase their next release, as of now,
> but this should certainly be opening up some eyes.

Tell you this much; if I just spent a bunch of money laser-scanning all
those tracks and vehicles to gain product-differentiating accuracy, my eyes
would not only be open, they be tightly focused on how to protect that
property. iRacing's mechanism for doing that has been speculated on, but
remains to be seen. But you can be pretty darned sure that data is not
going to be easily grabbed and ported into competing products. These guys
are making a big investment to roll out a new business model for the racing
sim space, and from a purely business perspective, I like what I'm seeing so
far. It IS counter to what most folks have become accustomed to (and other
competitors are using), so there's been a lot of teeth-gnashing over it.
But however it shakes out, it's just another product in the space; if they
don't give you more than their competitors (both professional and
hobbyist-modders), they won't be able to succeed in charging more, either in
up-front cost or ongoing fees. Simple as that.

I'd frankly be happy to see something that would have me itching to cough up
more dough instead of wondering whether yet another measly $40 would have
been better spent on beer... ;-)

SB

Old February 18th 06, 03:56 AM posted to rec.autos.simulators

Everyone is getting worked up about this sim. I can tell you right now
it is not going to sell.
It features Modifieds. I love Modifieds. They are the most exciting form
of short track stock car racing you can see, and on big tracks, they put
Cup cars to shame. Richie Evans, Charlie Jarzombek, and Bobby Allison
all drove Modifieds. It's NASCAR's oldest division. And... the *******
red-haired step child of NASCAR, limited to maybe a dozen tracks along
the East Coast. A niche product if there ever was one. I know ole John
Henry is a bit of a homer, and Mods are big in clam chowder states. But
I doubt they will fly anywhere else. But I guess that's what the Late
Model is for, or course that is a New England Late Model and not the ABC
type cars run in the rest of the country, but niche market is what this
game is about.
I feel that an online game, like the blending of Motor City Online and
NR2K3, would actually be a great thing. I know many of us race the same
people all the time, and there are the Papy rankings, but perhaps they
are going with an almost race series type of scheme. That would be cool.
I guess what NROS was supposed to have been.
But we shall see in the next few months.
btgoss
Old February 18th 06, 04:07 AM posted to rec.autos.simulators

>"BTGoss" > wrote
> Everyone is getting worked up about this sim. I can tell you right now it
> is not going to sell.
> It features Modifieds.

It "features". Yep. And other stuff too. At least we have real cars, not
a random generic sports/open-wheeler car like in rF. There's something to
associate yourself to behind the wheel. I mean we can't deny that there's a
huge market for that, well huge in terms of simracing sales. The Ratbag
games were pretty good in sales and had their dedicated fanboys. Look at
the track list, there isn't much tracks that are suited for modified cars.
There's a reason for that, they will offer much more series, car types, and
track types than just Modified.

> I feel that an online game, like the blending of Motor City Online and
> NR2K3, would actually be a great thing. I know many of us race the same
> people all the time, and there are the Papy rankings, but perhaps they are
> going with an almost race series type of scheme. That would be cool. I
> guess what NROS was supposed to have been.

Hawaii was an utopia. So did the NROS to a point.

Old February 18th 06, 03:17 PM posted to rec.autos.simulators

BTGoss wrote:
> Everyone is getting worked up about this sim. I can tell you right now
> it is not going to sell.
> It features Modifieds. I love Modifieds. They are the most exciting form
> of short track stock car racing you can see, and on big tracks, they put
> Cup cars to shame. Richie Evans, Charlie Jarzombek, and Bobby Allison
> all drove Modifieds. It's NASCAR's oldest division. And... the *******
> red-haired step child of NASCAR, limited to maybe a dozen tracks along
> the East Coast. A niche product if there ever was one. I know ole John
> Henry is a bit of a homer, and Mods are big in clam chowder states. But
> I doubt they will fly anywhere else. But I guess that's what the Late
> Model is for, or course that is a New England Late Model and not the ABC
> type cars run in the rest of the country, but niche market is what this
> game is about.
> I feel that an online game, like the blending of Motor City Online and
> NR2K3, would actually be a great thing. I know many of us race the same
> people all the time, and there are the Papy rankings, but perhaps they
> are going with an almost race series type of scheme. That would be cool.
> I guess what NROS was supposed to have been.
> But we shall see in the next few months.
> btgoss

I grew up in upstate NY going to Shangri-La (Tioga County - which is now
shut down) and Chemung. I grew up watching the Bodines, Richie, Maynard
Troyer, George Kent, Jerry Cook, Jarzombek, Jimmy Spencer, etc. Its
awesome racing - it still doesn't justify the means of their community
treatment that I've seen.

--
Scott B. Husted
http://www.Husted.cc

Where are the new open cockpit racing sims? nathantw Simulators 4 November 22nd 05 05:51 PM
Offline racing Big Blue Racing Simulators 0 November 6th 05 03:42 AM
GTP Lives!!! Steve Smith Simulators 20 February 14th 05 04:59 AM
Mustang Returns to Sports Car Racing Grover C. McCoury III Ford Mustang 0 January 29th 05 05:39 PM
Tough to Enter the Racing Sim Scene Chuck Simulators 14 November 10th 04 05:27 AM