weird noise

Old June 1st 05, 12:15 AM
gary

Default weird noise

Hi... New to this newsgroup stuff... So go easy !!

I have a Jeep Grand Cherokee... Its brilliant in every way, ( except that it
drinks expensive English fuel ! ), But on occasion, and not every time, it
will make the most incredible grinding noise from what appears to be the
back axle while doing a full lock anti clock wise !

Very off putting !

I've looked underneath, around the tyres etc... But nothing obvious leaps
out at me.

Any suggestions ?

Old June 1st 05, 12:30 AM
DougW

gary did pass the time by typing:
> Hi... New to this newsgroup stuff... So go easy !!

> I have a Jeep Grand Cherokee... Its brilliant in every way, ( except that it
> drinks expensive English fuel ! ), But on occasion, and not every time, it
> will make the most incredible grinding noise from what appears to be the
> back axle while doing a full lock anti clock wise !

Over on this side of the pond we call that counter clockwise, but the issue
is you get this noise when turning at full lock.

> Very off putting !
>
> I've looked underneath, around the tyres etc... But nothing obvious leaps
> out at me.

I would hope not, as nothing is more dangerous than a leaping obvious.
Except for maby a hungry leaping obvious with long sharp pointy fangs.

> Any suggestions ?

A few but first, it helps if you also say what year your jeep is.
Could be your rear diff is a limited slip (you will notice by
a round metal tag on one of the bolts that hold the cover on)

There are several others in this group that are from England/Scottland.
For me it's a bit of a drive.

--
-- DougW -- 93 ZJ 4.0 http://members.cox.net/wilsond
HESCO Supercharger - 300W IASCA Stereo - Edelbrock IAS Shocks

Old June 2nd 05, 05:45 PM
JimT

"gary" > wrote in
t:

> Hi... New to this newsgroup stuff... So go easy !!
>
> I have a Jeep Grand Cherokee... Its brilliant in every way, ( except
> that it drinks expensive English fuel ! ), But on occasion, and not
> every time, it will make the most incredible grinding noise from what
> appears to be the back axle while doing a full lock anti clock wise !
>
> Very off putting !
>
> I've looked underneath, around the tyres etc... But nothing obvious
> leaps out at me.
>
> Any suggestions ?

Do you have the Trac-loc limited slip. Sounds like a tight new trac-
loc. They seem to especially grab when you have been driving on a
mostly straight highway for a long distance and then make tight turns

rec.autos.makers.chrysler FAQ, Part 1/6 Dr. David Zatz Chrysler 2 April 22nd 05 05:32 AM
Weird noise at 1900 RPM Jimmy Honda 9 February 6th 05 07:58 PM
Weird vent noise... Thomas Frank Honda 2 October 23rd 04 06:14 PM
Honda Odyssey: 1 second noise at 5 mph when started (started engine as well). varkiliy_jar General 9 July 20th 04 01:22 AM