Fox body Mustangs and ...

Old May 30th 09, 06:14 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang
Dick R.

Default Fox body Mustangs and ...

After reading many posts referring to the Fox body,
I was curious, did some investigation on the internet,
and discovered that my 84 Mercury Capri RS 5.0 is
indeed, a Fox body. Looks like a Mustang, but with a front
air dam and a "bubble back". I don't drive the vehicle
more than 200 miles/year, and it lives a very sheltered
life in my garage. It still has less than 70,000 miles
on it, and everytime I look at it I say: "Damn, that's
a fine looking old car!"

Just musings from an old fart,
Dick
Old May 30th 09, 09:02 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang
elaich[_3_]

"Dick R." > wrote in
:

> After reading many posts referring to the Fox body,
> I was curious, did some investigation on the internet,
> and discovered that my 84 Mercury Capri RS 5.0 is
> indeed, a Fox body. Looks like a Mustang, but with a front
> air dam and a "bubble back". I don't drive the vehicle
> more than 200 miles/year, and it lives a very sheltered
> life in my garage. It still has less than 70,000 miles
> on it, and everytime I look at it I say: "Damn, that's
> a fine looking old car!"
>
> Just musings from an old fart,
> Dick

Actually, the Fox PLATFORM (correct term) debuted in 1978 with the
Fairmont.

Ford/Mercury cars that used the Fox platform"

Mustang - 1979 - 1993
Capri - 1979 - 1986
Fairmont - entire run
Thunderbird - 1980 - 1989
Cougar - 1980 - 1989
LTD (small) - entire run
Zephyr - entire run

Many parts will interchange between these cars.

I have 2 of them - a 1980 Capri, and a 1983 Mustang GT. We affectionately
refer to them as the "four eyes."

vb.foureyedpride.com

Come join the Fox party!
Old May 30th 09, 10:21 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang
Dick R.

elaich wrote:
> "Dick R." > wrote in
> :
>
>>After reading many posts referring to the Fox body,
>>I was curious, did some investigation on the internet,
>>and discovered that my 84 Mercury Capri RS 5.0 is
>>indeed, a Fox body. Looks like a Mustang, but with a front
>>air dam and a "bubble back". I don't drive the vehicle
>>more than 200 miles/year, and it lives a very sheltered
>>life in my garage. It still has less than 70,000 miles
>>on it, and everytime I look at it I say: "Damn, that's
>>a fine looking old car!"
>>
>>Just musings from an old fart,
>>

> Actually, the Fox PLATFORM (correct term) debuted in 1978 with the
> Fairmont.
>
> Ford/Mercury cars that used the Fox platform"
>
> Mustang - 1979 - 1993
> Capri - 1979 - 1986
> Fairmont - entire run
> Thunderbird - 1980 - 1989
> Cougar - 1980 - 1989
> LTD (small) - entire run
> Zephyr - entire run
>
> Many parts will interchange between these cars.
>
> I have 2 of them - a 1980 Capri, and a 1983 Mustang GT. We affectionately
> refer to them as the "four eyes."
>
> vb.foureyedpride.com
>
> Come join the Fox party!

My Capri used to be a "sixeye", with fog lights mounted very low in the air dam.
The fog lights were eventually destroyed by pebbles and other debris on the
road. I removed the fog lights and I still have them, but it might be difficult
to find new lens glass. I'll join the party!

Thanks for the info,
Dick
Old May 31st 09, 02:07 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang
dwight[_4_]

"Dick R." > wrote in message
. ..
> elaich wrote:
>> "Dick R." > wrote in
>> :
>>
>>>After reading many posts referring to the Fox body,
>>>I was curious, did some investigation on the internet,
>>>and discovered that my 84 Mercury Capri RS 5.0 is
>>>indeed, a Fox body. Looks like a Mustang, but with a front
>>>air dam and a "bubble back". I don't drive the vehicle
>>>more than 200 miles/year, and it lives a very sheltered
>>>life in my garage. It still has less than 70,000 miles
>>>on it, and everytime I look at it I say: "Damn, that's
>>>a fine looking old car!"
>>>
>>>Just musings from an old fart,
>>>

>> Actually, the Fox PLATFORM (correct term) debuted in 1978 with the
>> Fairmont.
>>
>> Ford/Mercury cars that used the Fox platform"
>>
>> Mustang - 1979 - 1993
>> Capri - 1979 - 1986
>> Fairmont - entire run
>> Thunderbird - 1980 - 1989
>> Cougar - 1980 - 1989
>> LTD (small) - entire run
>> Zephyr - entire run
>>
>> Many parts will interchange between these cars.
>>
>> I have 2 of them - a 1980 Capri, and a 1983 Mustang GT. We affectionately
>> refer to them as the "four eyes."
>>
>> vb.foureyedpride.com
>>
>> Come join the Fox party!

> My Capri used to be a "sixeye", with fog lights mounted very low in the
> air dam.
> The fog lights were eventually destroyed by pebbles and other debris on
> the
> road. I removed the fog lights and I still have them, but it might be
> difficult to find new lens glass. I'll join the party!
>
> Thanks for the info,
> Dick

Are Capri fog lights any different from the Mustang GTs of the same era?

dwight

Old May 31st 09, 03:24 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang
Dick R.

Default Fox body Mustangs and ... - Dwight

dwight wrote:

> "Dick R." > wrote in message
> . ..
>
>> elaich wrote:
>>
>>> "Dick R." > wrote in
>>> :

>>> Actually, the Fox PLATFORM (correct term) debuted in 1978 with the
>>> Fairmont.
>>>
>>> Ford/Mercury cars that used the Fox platform"
>>>
>>> Mustang - 1979 - 1993
>>> Capri - 1979 - 1986
>>> Fairmont - entire run
>>> Thunderbird - 1980 - 1989
>>> Cougar - 1980 - 1989
>>> LTD (small) - entire run
>>> Zephyr - entire run
>>>
>>> Many parts will interchange between these cars.
>>>
>>> I have 2 of them - a 1980 Capri, and a 1983 Mustang GT. We
>>> affectionately refer to them as the "four eyes."
>>>
>>> vb.foureyedpride.com
>>>
>>> Come join the Fox party!

>> My Capri used to be a "sixeye", with fog lights mounted very low in
>> the air dam.
>> The fog lights were eventually destroyed by pebbles and other debris
>> on the
>> road. I removed the fog lights and I still have them, but it might be
>> difficult to find new lens glass. I'll join the party!
>>
>> Thanks for the info,
>> Dick

> Are Capri fog lights any different from the Mustang GTs of the same era?

I don't know about the Mustang fog lights, where they were located, or
availability of replacement glass.
My Capri looks exactly like the one on this website:
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2984814
I've only seen 1 other Capri like this since I drove my car off the
showroom floor in 1984, and I've never noticed any Mustang with a similar
front air dam and fog lights.

Dick
Old May 31st 09, 03:47 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang
Kruse

On May 30, 4:02*pm, elaich > wrote:

> Actually, the Fox PLATFORM (correct term) debuted in 1978 with the
> Fairmont.
>
> Ford/Mercury cars that used the Fox platform"
>

> Zephyr - entire run

> Come join the Fox party!

Beings this post came up, I thought I'd chime in.
Just today, I got my '78 Mercury Zephyr Z7 up and going. Got the carb
rebuilt and burned out the 10 year old gas. (Ever smell pure varnish
going through a combustion chamber? No problem with skeeters!) Put in
10 gallons of fresh gas and gave the car some exercise. The car is a
302/C4 combo with 95K original miles. After a few tanks of gas, I'm
going to put on a genuine dual exhaust with the Motorsport double
humper tranny crossmember in place.
This one is an ex-Texas car that has no rust.
Look out chebies. This old grandma car might surprise you....

Old May 31st 09, 04:11 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang
dwight[_4_]

"Dick R." > wrote in message
news
> dwight wrote:
>>
>> "Dick R." > wrote in message
>> . ..

>>> My Capri used to be a "sixeye", with fog lights mounted very low in the
>>> air dam.
>>> The fog lights were eventually destroyed by pebbles and other debris on
>>> the
>>> road. I removed the fog lights and I still have them, but it might be
>>> difficult to find new lens glass. I'll join the party!
>>>
>>> Thanks for the info,
>>> Dick

>> Are Capri fog lights any different from the Mustang GTs of the same era?
>>

> I don't know about the Mustang fog lights, where they were located, or
> availability of replacement glass.
> My Capri looks exactly like the one on this website:
> http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2984814
> I've only seen 1 other Capri like this since I drove my car off the
> showroom floor in 1984, and I've never noticed any Mustang with a similar
> front air dam and fog lights.
>
> Dick

Well, if the Capri fog lights are rectangular, that answers the question.
The Mustang's are round.

dwight

Old May 31st 09, 04:28 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang
Dick R.

dwight wrote:

> "Dick R." > wrote in message
> news >
>> dwight wrote:
>>

>>> "Dick R." > wrote in message
>>> . ..

>>> Are Capri fog lights any different from the Mustang GTs of the same
>>> era?
>>>

>> I don't know about the Mustang fog lights, where they were located, or
>> availability of replacement glass.
>> My Capri looks exactly like the one on this website:
>> http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2984814
>> I've only seen 1 other Capri like this since I drove my car off the
>> showroom floor in 1984, and I've never noticed any Mustang with a similar
>> front air dam and fog lights.
>>
>> Dick

> Well, if the Capri fog lights are rectangular, that answers the
> question. The Mustang's are round.
>
> dwight

Yup they're rectangular.
Old May 31st 09, 03:48 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang
Mike Lenker

"dwight" > wrote in message

> "Dick R." > wrote in message
> news
>> dwight wrote:
>>>
>>> "Dick R." > wrote in message
>>> . ..

>>> Are Capri fog lights any different from the Mustang GTs of the same
>>> era?
>>>

>> I don't know about the Mustang fog lights, where they were located, or
>> availability of replacement glass.
>> My Capri looks exactly like the one on this website:
>> http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2984814
>> I've only seen 1 other Capri like this since I drove my car off the
>> showroom floor in 1984, and I've never noticed any Mustang with a similar
>> front air dam and fog lights.
>>
>> Dick

> Well, if the Capri fog lights are rectangular, that answers the question.
> The Mustang's are round.
>
> dwight

Mustang and Capri foglights were rectangular up to 1986, for '87-93 Mustangs
they were round.

mkl
'86 Capri 5.0 5spd

Old June 1st 09, 12:13 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang
dwight[_4_]

"Mike Lenker" > wrote in message
> "dwight" > wrote in message
>>
>> "Dick R." > wrote in message
>> news

>>> I don't know about the Mustang fog lights, where they were located, or
>>> availability of replacement glass.
>>> My Capri looks exactly like the one on this website:
>>> http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2984814
>>> I've only seen 1 other Capri like this since I drove my car off the
>>> showroom floor in 1984, and I've never noticed any Mustang with a
>>> similar
>>> front air dam and fog lights.
>>>
>>> Dick

>> Well, if the Capri fog lights are rectangular, that answers the question.
>> The Mustang's are round.
>>
>> dwight
>>

> Mustang and Capri foglights were rectangular up to 1986, for '87-93
> Mustangs they were round.
>
> mkl
> '86 Capri 5.0 5spd

Okay, that makes sense, given Ford's penchant for interchangeable parts. Out
of luck at both 50Resto and Mustangs Unlimited, though. That might be one of
those junk yard specialty parts.

)

mustangs and mustangs charley Ford Mustang 0 August 20th 07 01:59 PM
Mustangs Frank ess Auto Photos 0 April 8th 07 09:17 PM
64 mustangs Hillie Okken Ford Mustang 1 October 3rd 06 02:20 AM