Projector Headlights

Old January 23rd 09, 11:22 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang
Deputy Dog[_2_]

Default Projector Headlights

The Current headlights just isn't cutting it anymore so I'm going to replace
them. I currently have smoked aftermarket jobs and they are clouding up<
oxidizing> pretty bad despite using plastic polish frequently. So I figure
to go a different way. I need something really bright seeing as I love to
"fly" at night so I was thinking about the "Projector "type.
Any Ideas brands to look at or stay away from?

Dave
96 GTS with a few goodies

Old January 23rd 09, 11:39 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang
GILL[_9_]

Deputy Dog wrote:
> The Current headlights just isn't cutting it anymore so I'm going to
> replace them. I currently have smoked aftermarket jobs and they are
> clouding up< oxidizing> pretty bad despite using plastic polish
> frequently. So I figure to go a different way. I need something really
> bright seeing as I love to "fly" at night so I was thinking about the
> "Projector "type.
> Any Ideas brands to look at or stay away from?
>
> Dave
> 96 GTS with a few goodies

You going for that Honda look?
Old January 23rd 09, 11:59 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang
Deputy Dog[_2_]

"GILL" > wrote in message
> Deputy Dog wrote:
>> The Current headlights just isn't cutting it anymore so I'm going to
>> replace them. I currently have smoked aftermarket jobs and they are
>> clouding up< oxidizing> pretty bad despite using plastic polish
>> frequently. So I figure to go a different way. I need something really
>> bright seeing as I love to "fly" at night so I was thinking about the
>> "Projector "type.
>> Any Ideas brands to look at or stay away from?
>>
>> Dave
>> 96 GTS with a few goodies

> You going for that Honda look?

Really haven't thought of it that way. Have any other suggestions? I do nice
twisty country roads on the way home at night and need something brighter
than what I have which are smoked OEM REPLACEMENTS.

Dave

Old January 24th 09, 12:14 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang
GILL[_9_]

Deputy Dog wrote:

> "GILL" > wrote in message
>> Deputy Dog wrote:
>>> The Current headlights just isn't cutting it anymore so I'm going to
>>> replace them. I currently have smoked aftermarket jobs and they are
>>> clouding up< oxidizing> pretty bad despite using plastic polish
>>> frequently. So I figure to go a different way. I need something
>>> really bright seeing as I love to "fly" at night so I was thinking
>>> about the "Projector "type.
>>> Any Ideas brands to look at or stay away from?
>>>
>>> Dave
>>> 96 GTS with a few goodies

>> You going for that Honda look?

> Really haven't thought of it that way. Have any other suggestions? I do
> nice twisty country roads on the way home at night and need something
> brighter than what I have which are smoked OEM REPLACEMENTS.
>
> Dave

My neighbor installed Carquest TrueView bulbs. I think they are the same
as Sylvania Silverstars.
Old January 24th 09, 12:18 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang
GILL[_9_]

GILL wrote:
> Deputy Dog wrote:

>>> You going for that Honda look?

>> Really haven't thought of it that way. Have any other suggestions? I
>> do nice twisty country roads on the way home at night and need
>> something brighter than what I have which are smoked OEM REPLACEMENTS.
>>
>> Dave

> My neighbor installed Carquest TrueView bulbs. I think they are the same
> as Sylvania Silverstars.

Oh, I meant to make a point that my buddy's wife's car has whiter
brighter lights with the TrueViews.
Old January 24th 09, 12:48 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang
dwight[_4_]

"Deputy Dog" > wrote in message
> The Current headlights just isn't cutting it anymore so I'm going to
> replace them. I currently have smoked aftermarket jobs and they are
> clouding up< oxidizing> pretty bad despite using plastic polish
> frequently. So I figure to go a different way. I need something really
> bright seeing as I love to "fly" at night so I was thinking about the
> "Projector "type.
> Any Ideas brands to look at or stay away from?
>
> Dave
> 96 GTS with a few goodies

Hey, Dave...

I just had the headlights on CFrog replaced, but I went with new editions of
the original setup. CFrog had a pretty good case of glaucoma, so the
difference now is wonderful. My only complaint is that they seem to point
down too far - I'm going to have to adjust them up a bit. The headlights
shine where the fog lights would, and the brights shine where the headlights
should.

It's a little dark these days driving home from work. I won't blame the
misaligned headlights, but I did hit a deer last week (or, rather, the deer
hit me). Cost me a left hand mirror, but the car is otherwise fine. Given
the circumstances, even having my brights on would not have shown the deer,
and the opposing traffic would probably have been annoyed. The thing came
out of nowhere and ran through oncoming traffic to slam up against my driver
door.

Bottom line, I've got a bad case of deer fear lately, so my joy of night
driving has been put aside for awhile.

dwight
www.tfrog.com

Old January 24th 09, 06:54 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang

In NY more deer are tqken by autos and trucks than by hunters in
Syracuse area. :0)

There is a whistle thingamabob (above human hearing range) which helps
scare the deer long before you get to where they were. However, once
they are out in the traffic and in panic mode... LOOK OUT! They'll do
some serious damage including going through your windshield.

On Fri, 23 Jan 2009 19:48:19 -0500, "dwight" >
wrote:

.. .

--

Vintage Burgundy 65 Fastback 2+2, 289 OEM 4bbl, Custom C4,
OEM front disc/rear drum P/R&P, 16x8" V40s, BFG gForce
Old January 24th 09, 10:20 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang
Jim Warman

It never fails to amaze me..... every year it seems that more than one
motorist thinks we left the gate to the forest open on purpose....

> wrote in message
> In NY more deer are tqken by autos and trucks than by hunters in
> Syracuse area. :0)
>
> There is a whistle thingamabob (above human hearing range) which helps
> scare the deer long before you get to where they were. However, once
> they are out in the traffic and in panic mode... LOOK OUT! They'll do
> some serious damage including going through your windshield.
>

> On Fri, 23 Jan 2009 19:48:19 -0500, "dwight" >
> wrote:
>
>>"Deputy Dog" > wrote in message
. ..
>>> The Current headlights just isn't cutting it anymore so I'm going to
>>> replace them. I currently have smoked aftermarket jobs and they are
>>> clouding up< oxidizing> pretty bad despite using plastic polish
>>> frequently. So I figure to go a different way. I need something really
>>> bright seeing as I love to "fly" at night so I was thinking about the
>>> "Projector "type.
>>> Any Ideas brands to look at or stay away from?
>>>
>>> Dave
>>> 96 GTS with a few goodies

Old January 24th 09, 01:52 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang
dwight[_4_]

Default Projector Headlights & deer

"Jim Warman" > wrote in message
> It never fails to amaze me..... every year it seems that more than one
> motorist thinks we left the gate to the forest open on purpose....

I'm not sure what that means, Jim. Around here, deer are a constant
presence - they're everywhere, especially where you least expect them. We
all know it, and I think we all look out for them. But it's Deer Lottery, as
far as contact is concerned. In my case, it was simply my turn.

These are the western suburbs of Philadelphia. We used to live much closer
in to the city, and even there we found the occasional deer wandering about
(and wondered sometimes just how they managed to get so close in, without
being killed earlier). Out here in the überburbs, it's a fact of life.

The squirrels play this game, too. They wait by the side of the road, and
the game is to see how little room they can leave as they scramble across
the road in front of oncoming traffic. They're usually very good at it, but
once in a while a slower squirrel misjudges the gap and pays the penalty.
When the squirrels play this game, it's cute. When the deer do it, it's
extremely dangerous.

On many morning commutes, traffic gets backed up as a squad of geese walk
across a four-lane roadway. Now this just makes no sense at all to me,
'cause geese can FLY. (In fact, they look flat-out stupid when they walk,
but somewhat elegant in the air.) But we all wait patiently, because, well,
because they're geese. And they didn't earn the name "goose" for no reason.

The deer are a bit sneakier, though. First, they wear camouflage. It's
almost impossible to see them coming from the side. Up ahead, you might see
their eyes reflecting your headlights, but from the side they are invisible.
The first indication is the loud CRASH as they hit your car. In fact, we
almost universally say, "It came out of nowhere." Stealth Deer. Even so,
more often than not, I will see deer in the road up ahead and take
precautions.

When a deer decides to play in heavy traffic at night, there's not much you
can do.

dwight

Old January 24th 09, 08:09 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang
Mike Lenker

"dwight" > wrote in message

> "Jim Warman" > wrote in message
>> It never fails to amaze me..... every year it seems that more than one
>> motorist thinks we left the gate to the forest open on purpose....
>>

> I'm not sure what that means, Jim. Around here, deer are a constant
> presence - they're everywhere, especially where you least expect them. We
> all know it, and I think we all look out for them. But it's Deer Lottery,
> as far as contact is concerned. In my case, it was simply my turn.

<snip>

> When a deer decides to play in heavy traffic at night, there's not much
> you can do.
>
> dwight

true dat...

many years ago I totalled my '85 Capri RS 5.0 on an 8-point buck that came
out of nowhere... Rt 9, Old Bridge Twp, NJ, came off a traffic light, left
lane, just knocked it into 5th, when the first I saw it come out of the
sunken median it was maybe 5' in front of me. Launched it over three lanes
of traffic. Instant death for car and deer. Fortunately for me it
hi/low'ed my windshield or else I'd have 200+lb of buck in my lap. And may
not have been here to tell this story.
They're around all year long around here, though more visible in the fall
during rut and hunting season as they get stirred up some.