Should they lower the speed limit?

Old August 16th 07, 04:19 PM posted to rec.autos.driving

Default Should they lower the speed limit?

Take it back to 55 to bring gas prices down? Many weren't in favor of
it when it was suggested, but it *would* bring gas prices down.

Old August 16th 07, 04:25 PM posted to rec.autos.driving
necromancer

:
> Take it back to 55 to bring gas prices down? Many weren't in favor of
> it when it was suggested, but it *would* bring gas prices down.

Then please explain how just a few years ago when speed limits were in
the 65 to 75 MPH range (as they are today) that gas was selling for less
than $1.00 per gallon.

55 was tried once and it failed miserablly as it was universally
ignored. I suppose that you also want to return to the double digit
inflation, unemployment and interest rates which also were hallmarks of
the 1970's era?

--
C orrupt
O rganization
Old August 16th 07, 05:21 PM posted to rec.autos.driving
John S.

On Aug 16, 11:19 am, wrote:
> Take it back to 55 to bring gas prices down? Many weren't in favor of
> it when it was suggested, but it *would* bring gas prices down.

You may have stumbled on to a cause and effect relationship between
car speed and gasoline prices. As a test lets drop the speed to 45mph
and enjoy the benefits of gasoline priced at 1935 levels.

Old August 16th 07, 05:45 PM posted to rec.autos.driving
Eeyore

wrote:

> Take it back to 55 to bring gas prices down? Many weren't in favor of
> it when it was suggested, but it *would* bring gas prices down.

Don't be SO STUPID !

Old August 16th 07, 05:57 PM posted to rec.autos.driving
gpsman

On Aug 16, 10:25 am, necromancer
> wrote:
> :
>
> > Take it back to 55 to bring gas prices down? Many weren't in favor of
> > it when it was suggested, but it *would* bring gas prices down.

> Then please explain how just a few years ago when speed limits were in
> the 65 to 75 MPH range (as they are today) that gas was selling for less
> than $1.00 per gallon.

Developing nations are more developed and are creating greater demand
for a limited resource?

Your assumption that everything has remained the same for a few days,
much less a few years, is indicative of why our economy is headed into
the ****ter; you seem to be not the only American who thinks like
that.

> 55 was tried once and it failed miserablly as it was universally
> ignored.

You get a CDL and I'll rent a semi and you can drive it on an Ohio
highway at 60 until you get pulled over and a $400 ticket, tomorrow.

> I suppose that you also want to return to the double digit
> inflation, unemployment and interest rates which also were hallmarks of
> the 1970's era?

Do you mean to infer those economic indicators are attributable to the
old NMSL?! Or is it a technique intended to demonstrate your disdain
for a reasonable suggestion by responding with the most stupid ****
you can think of?
-----

- gpsman

Old August 16th 07, 08:14 PM posted to rec.autos.driving
Matthew T. Russotto

In article et>,
necromancer > wrote:

>55 was tried once and it failed miserablly as it was universally
>ignored. I suppose that you also want to return to the double digit
>inflation, unemployment and interest rates which also were hallmarks of
>the 1970's era?

If I'm to believe the business report this morning, the interest rates
should be arriving forthwith.
result in a fully-depreciated one.
Old August 16th 07, 09:00 PM posted to rec.autos.driving
necromancer

John S.:
> On Aug 16, 11:19 am, wrote:
> > Take it back to 55 to bring gas prices down? Many weren't in favor of
> > it when it was suggested, but it *would* bring gas prices down.

> You may have stumbled on to a cause and effect relationship between
> car speed and gasoline prices. As a test lets drop the speed to 45mph
> and enjoy the benefits of gasoline priced at 1935 levels.

Why don't we drop the limit to 35 like they did in World War II? Save
even more gas and the oil companies will probablly be giving it away....

--
D umbasses &
O ther
Old August 17th 07, 12:40 AM posted to rec.autos.driving
John S.

On Aug 16, 4:00 pm, necromancer
> wrote:
> John S.:
>
> > On Aug 16, 11:19 am, wrote:
> > > Take it back to 55 to bring gas prices down? Many weren't in favor of
> > > it when it was suggested, but it *would* bring gas prices down.

> > You may have stumbled on to a cause and effect relationship between
> > car speed and gasoline prices. As a test lets drop the speed to 45mph
> > and enjoy the benefits of gasoline priced at 1935 levels.

> Why don't we drop the limit to 35 like they did in World War II? Save
> even more gas and the oil companies will probablly be giving it away....

Even better, lets drop it back to the maximum speed a horseless
carriage like a Duryea might have made. 15 or 20 mph would be just
about right.

Old August 17th 07, 09:10 AM posted to rec.autos.driving

If you don't want it lowered because it would take more time to get
from Point A to Point B, why not just say so?