Compression Fittings On Brake Lines ?

Old April 12th 07, 06:14 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
Robert11

Default Compression Fittings On Brake Lines ?

Hello:

Several years ago, i had a few brake lines repaired at a service station due
to their rusting out.
Have a '97 Buick LeSabre.

Since then, no problems.

I just brought the car in for a state inspection at a local Buick
Dealership, and they said that it would not pass as the service station that
did the repair apparently used compression fittings, rather than swaged, on
the brake line fittings.

So,

I guess swaged would certainly be better, but is this something I should now
make a big deal over with the service station that did the work a few years
ago ?

Can compression fittings (also) be considered "safe", or MUST they be
swaged ?

Any thoughts would be most appreciated.

Thanks,
Bob

Old April 12th 07, 06:18 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
Robert11

Default From OP: Sorry, I probably meant "Flared": Compression Fittings On Brake Lines ?

. ..

Old April 12th 07, 06:35 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
Brent P[_1_]

In article >, Robert11 wrote:

>> Can compression fittings (also) be considered "safe", or MUST they be
>> swaged ?

They should be flared brake line fittings. I would not trust compression
fittings to hold and not leak.

Old April 12th 07, 06:42 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
maxwedge[_18_]

In NYS this also applies, I have failed several vehicles for compression
unions, double flared is required and recommended.

--
maxwedge
maxwedge's Profile: http://www.automotiveforums.com/vbul...p?userid=19971

http://www.automotiveforums.com

Old April 12th 07, 08:55 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
N8N

On Apr 12, 1:14 pm, "Robert11" > wrote:
> Hello:
>
> Several years ago, i had a few brake lines repaired at a service station due
> to their rusting out.
> Have a '97 Buick LeSabre.
>
> Since then, no problems.
>
> I just brought the car in for a state inspection at a local Buick
> Dealership, and they said that it would not pass as the service station that
> did the repair apparently used compression fittings, rather than swaged, on
> the brake line fittings.
>
> So,
>
> I guess swaged would certainly be better, but is this something I should now
> make a big deal over with the service station that did the work a few years
> ago ?
>
> Can compression fittings (also) be considered "safe", or MUST they be
> swaged ?
>
> Any thoughts would be most appreciated.
>
> Thanks,
> Bob

Some compression fittings probably are rated for the pressures
experienced by brake tubing, but in general it is considered poor
practice to use compression fittings on brake tubing. Additionally,
most state inspectors will automatically fail a car if it has
compression fittings on the brake tubing, and your "mechanic" should
have known that - pretty much universally, the only fittings
acceptable are double flares (or similar ISO "bubble" flares) or
bolted fittings with copper washers (i.e. banjo fittings or threaded
ends, usually used on rubber hoses.) Unfortunately for you, probably
the only way to get your sticker is to have the repairs redone by
someone who knows how to use a double flaring tool.

I don't think that i need to add that you probably shouldn't go back
to that mechanic again, either.

The good news is that flaring steel brake tubing is NOT rocket science
- I could hook you up.

nate

Old April 12th 07, 09:16 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
*

Robert11 > wrote in article
>.. .
> Hello:
>
> Several years ago, i had a few brake lines repaired at a service station

due
> to their rusting out.
> Have a '97 Buick LeSabre.
>
> Since then, no problems.
>
> I just brought the car in for a state inspection at a local Buick
> Dealership, and they said that it would not pass as the service station

that
> did the repair apparently used compression fittings, rather than swaged,

on
> the brake line fittings.
>
> So,
>
> I guess swaged would certainly be better, but is this something I should

now
> make a big deal over with the service station that did the work a few

years
> ago ?
>
> Can compression fittings (also) be considered "safe", or MUST they be
> swaged ?
>
> Any thoughts would be most appreciated.
>
> Thanks,
> Bob

The Weatherhead automotive fittings catalog specifically states that
compression fittings are NOT to be used with steel tubing.....period!

Old April 12th 07, 10:03 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
Banned

Compression fittings are ok for water plumbing,but for steel brake
lines,NO.
I would not trust them at all.
cuhulin

Old April 13th 07, 04:06 AM posted to rec.autos.tech
Pete C.

N8N wrote:

> On Apr 12, 1:14 pm, "Robert11" > wrote:
> > Hello:
> >
> > Several years ago, i had a few brake lines repaired at a service station due
> > to their rusting out.
> > Have a '97 Buick LeSabre.
> >
> > Since then, no problems.
> >
> > I just brought the car in for a state inspection at a local Buick
> > Dealership, and they said that it would not pass as the service station that
> > did the repair apparently used compression fittings, rather than swaged, on
> > the brake line fittings.
> >
> > So,
> >
> > I guess swaged would certainly be better, but is this something I should now
> > make a big deal over with the service station that did the work a few years
> > ago ?
> >
> > Can compression fittings (also) be considered "safe", or MUST they be
> > swaged ?
> >
> > Any thoughts would be most appreciated.
> >
> > Thanks,
> > Bob

> Some compression fittings probably are rated for the pressures
> experienced by brake tubing, but in general it is considered poor
> practice to use compression fittings on brake tubing. Additionally,
> most state inspectors will automatically fail a car if it has
> compression fittings on the brake tubing, and your "mechanic" should
> have known that - pretty much universally, the only fittings
> acceptable are double flares (or similar ISO "bubble" flares) or
> bolted fittings with copper washers (i.e. banjo fittings or threaded
> ends, usually used on rubber hoses.) Unfortunately for you, probably
> the only way to get your sticker is to have the repairs redone by
> someone who knows how to use a double flaring tool.
>
> I don't think that i need to add that you probably shouldn't go back
> to that mechanic again, either.
>
> The good news is that flaring steel brake tubing is NOT rocket science
> - I could hook you up.
>
> nate

Having recently done some stainless hard line with swagelock compression
fittings for 4,000 psi high pressure air service I can confirm that
there are indeed compression type fittings that are suitable.

Pete C.
Old April 13th 07, 04:15 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
Scott Dorsey

Robert11 > wrote:

>I just brought the car in for a state inspection at a local Buick
>Dealership, and they said that it would not pass as the service station that
>did the repair apparently used compression fittings, rather than swaged, on
>the brake line fittings.

That's interesting. Here in Virginia, I think that is legal for
state inspection.

>I guess swaged would certainly be better, but is this something I should now
>make a big deal over with the service station that did the work a few years
>ago ?

It's worth at least calling them and letting them know.

>Can compression fittings (also) be considered "safe", or MUST they be
>swaged ?

Compression fittings give me the willies. I'd replace them, whether or
not the safety folks required it. But that's just me, and I tend to be
paranoid about such things.
--scott

Old April 13th 07, 04:55 PM posted to rec.autos.tech

"Pete C." > wrote in message

> Having recently done some stainless hard line with swagelock compression
> fittings for 4,000 psi high pressure air service I can confirm that
> there are indeed compression type fittings that are suitable.
>
> Pete C.

I have also worked with Swagelock type fitting for years, and have great
confidence in them. But the question is, are they acceptable by the
inspection
authorities in all the states??

We should have (or maybe DO have) an FAQ section for important issues
like this that keep recurring. Does anybody know if we do, or how to start
one if not?

Bleeding brake lines and replacing brake caliper and piston Jason[_1_] Ford Explorer 2 March 20th 07 01:42 AM
Getting fuel line compression fittings leak free Ed Technology 22 January 9th 07 05:50 PM
Info: Note on Ford brake-line fittings Backyard Mechanic Ford Mustang 0 April 17th 06 03:54 PM
Preformed Brake lines Lovs2fly Jeep 7 February 11th 06 03:49 PM
VW Brake Lines Morgan Anderson VW air cooled 12 November 27th 05 01:32 PM