centering steering after installing new steering box

Old April 2nd 07, 08:02 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang
Steve[_14_]

Default centering steering after installing new steering box

I just installed a new Flaming River steering box into a '69 Mustang
with power steering. I centered the box by turning the steering wheel
all the way to the right and then all the way to the left (4 turns)
and then half the number of turns back (2 turns). Then I set the
front wheels pointing straight and adjusted the control valve sleeve
so that the stud lined up with the pitman arm and installed the castle
nut.

However, I can turn the steering wheel two and a quarter turns to the
right (from center) before it stops, but only one and a quarter turns
to the left (from center) before it stops. Is this proper or is
something wrong? The front wheels look like they have turned the same
amount in each direction respectively but I have not road tested the
car yet (because I haven't locked down all the bolts yet because I was
waiting to make sure everything is together correctly).

Any helpful comments are requested.

Old April 3rd 07, 10:38 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang
Spike

On 2 Apr 2007 12:02:27 -0700, "Steve" > wrote:

>I just installed a new Flaming River steering box into a '69 Mustang
>with power steering. I centered the box by turning the steering wheel
>all the way to the right and then all the way to the left (4 turns)
>and then half the number of turns back (2 turns). Then I set the
>front wheels pointing straight and adjusted the control valve sleeve
>so that the stud lined up with the pitman arm and installed the castle
>nut.
>
>However, I can turn the steering wheel two and a quarter turns to the
>right (from center) before it stops, but only one and a quarter turns
>to the left (from center) before it stops. Is this proper or is
>something wrong? The front wheels look like they have turned the same
>amount in each direction respectively but I have not road tested the
>car yet (because I haven't locked down all the bolts yet because I was
>waiting to make sure everything is together correctly).
>
>Any helpful comments are requested.

I would suggest that you contact Flaming River Tech Support.

I'm pulling the FR long shaft I put in, and replacing it with the FR
tilt column coupled with an RRS power rack and pinion system.

Not sure how FR and RRS compare in setup... and I'd have to dig back
into the manual to see if there is anything different between what you
have done and what RRS says to do.