Route recommendations - Austin to Seattle

Old March 27th 07, 03:23 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
XS11E[_1_]

Default Route recommendations - Austin to Seattle

(Leon van Dommelen) wrote:

> Which brings up a good question. What does the owner's manual of
> the Mazdaspeed say about using less than 93 octane? Mazdaspeed
> owners?
>
> There are vast regions in the US where you are lucky to find 89
> octane. I know there are vast regions where you simply do not get
> above 87 octane, if that. How do the owners of those cars deal
> with it?

Lower octane fuel is no problem to most fuel injected cars and Mazda is
probably not an exception. The knock sensor should detect knock and
retard the timing. Performance and fuel economy should take a BIG hit
but it shouldn't damage the engine.

Old March 27th 07, 05:12 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
XS11E[_2_]

Default tortoise talk (was Route recommendations - Austin to Seattle) NMC

pws > wrote:

> They are the 3rd largest tortoise behind the Galapagos and an
> African one that I can't remember the name of.

Aldabra. They live in the Seychelles, not the African mainland.

The Glapagos can weigh up to 785 lbs, the Aldabra only hits maybe 670
lbs or so.

The African Spurred is the 3rd largest but is much smaller, weighing
only 200 lbs at maximum.

Old March 27th 07, 05:41 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
pws[_1_]

Eric Baber wrote:

> Ours is a Spur-Thighed Tortoise (Testudo graeca graeca), and she too will
> live longer than us. She's in my ex's will as a result.

Heh, that is necessary. A lot of people think that a zoo will take them,
that is not the case. The two breeds look very similar overall.

> The Graecas don't, however, get as large as yours - 240 pounds, wow!

They are the 3rd largest tortoise behind the Galapagos and an African
one that I can't remember the name of.
Once they reach a certain size, an enclosure must be built for them as
they will easily knock down any normal wood or chain link fence.

> So what are you going to do with yours - sell it?
>
> Eric

No, but I will charge an "adoption fee" to make sure she isn't going
into the cook pot, maybe $50.00 or so. They sell for more than double
that as babies.
I also want the person to know how to care for her. The first owners did
not feed her properly and she suffered some shell pyramiding as a result.
That has improved greatly in the last couple of years, and she has gone
from 2.5 pounds to 7.5 pounds in that time. Here is a video of her
munching down when she was little, (before I knew her proper diet), if
you feel like checking it out, it's only about 30 seconds long and not
that exciting.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=P1aAG66Iv6g

And if you are not completely bored by now, here is a picture that I
took a few days ago. You can see that the cones on the shell are still
prominent, but much less so.

http://img.inkfrog.com/pix/pat/stinkyhome.jpg

Pat
Old March 27th 07, 07:27 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
pws[_1_]

XS11E wrote:

> Aldabra. They live in the Seychelles, not the African mainland.
>
> The Glapagos can weigh up to 785 lbs, the Aldabra only hits maybe 670
> lbs or so.
>
> The African Spurred is the 3rd largest but is much smaller, weighing
> only 200 lbs at maximum.

Ahhh yes, that was it.
I forgot that you have experience at the zoo. The African Spurred is the
largest mainland tortoise. Those island tortoises get really big.

I have heard weights of 180 to 240 pounds for the African Spurred males,
200 sounds right.

Maybe 140 to 150 pounds max. for the females?

Pat
Old March 27th 07, 01:18 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
XS11E[_2_]

pws > wrote:

> XS11E wrote:
>
>> Aldabra. They live in the Seychelles, not the African mainland.
>>
>> The Glapagos can weigh up to 785 lbs, the Aldabra only hits maybe
>> 670 lbs or so.
>>
>> The African Spurred is the 3rd largest but is much smaller,
>> weighing only 200 lbs at maximum.

> Ahhh yes, that was it.
> I forgot that you have experience at the zoo. The African Spurred
> is the largest mainland tortoise. Those island tortoises get
> really big.
>
> I have heard weights of 180 to 240 pounds for the African Spurred
> males, 200 sounds right.
>
> Maybe 140 to 150 pounds max. for the females?

I don't know, but that sounds about right?
Old March 28th 07, 01:32 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
Chris D'Agnolo

Default Ode to Pat

Well, I was (am?) what I thought was a pretty big Rush fan but I don't know
anything about that album. I guess I wandered about that time but, 2112 is
an all-time classic of mine amongst several others. Definitely three of the
best musicians to get together of all time.

If ya gotta steal Pat, I guess steal from the best, eh?

Chris
99BBB

Old March 28th 07, 01:43 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
Chris D'Agnolo

"ANOUNCEMENT*
We may have more turtle (oops, tortoise) knowledge here than Miata
knowledge!

Just kidding, just kidding! It is funny though, to see so much interest
about such an obscure subject in this relatively small group.

Good luck with finding the adoptive parents Pat!

Chris
99BBB

Old March 28th 07, 01:44 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
XS11E[_1_]

"Chris D'Agnolo" > wrote:

> It is funny though, to see so much interest about such an obscure
> subject in this relatively small group.

"Obscure" may not be the right word for a 200 lb pet?

Old March 28th 07, 01:46 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
Chris D'Agnolo

Houston! Oh man, I thought she was an Austinite! My bad. You just never know
about those Miata flatlander women ;-) And hey, don't EVER call Austin
flatland again, what would that make Houston?

Chris
99BBB

Old March 28th 07, 02:59 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
pws[_1_]

Chris D'Agnolo wrote:
> Well, I was (am?) what I thought was a pretty big Rush fan but I don't know
> anything about that album. I guess I wandered about that time but, 2112 is
> an all-time classic of mine amongst several others. Definitely three of the
> best musicians to get together of all time.
>
> If ya gotta steal Pat, I guess steal from the best, eh?
>
> Chris
> 99BBB

Yeah, and you would think I could get the albums right after claiming
them as my favorite band for 28 years.

"The Analog Kid" is from the album "Signals", not "Grace Under
Pressure". "Signals" was released in 1982, a year that I do not remember
so well.....

Pat

Which route is this? Carl Rogers Driving 1 February 1st 07 08:23 AM
Good mechanic in the Seattle / north of Seattle area? Jacqueline Passey Honda 0 November 15th 06 09:40 PM
Following old Route 66 bessie Driving 13 July 28th 06 06:43 PM
STL to ATL alternate route [email protected] Driving 3 February 21st 06 02:48 PM
Route 23 Honda - NJ - Where is the SERVICE??? [email protected] Honda 2 September 20th 05 05:43 AM