Tire Valve Stem

Old March 11th 07, 07:12 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.chrysler
dprkk

Default Tire Valve Stem

Ok, not exactly specific to Chrysler but since this is my favorite
technical car group and it is a problem with my 91 GC, here goes. Can
a tire valve stem be changed without removing the tire? Can the stem
be forced in from the outside instead of the inside? Right now the
dust cap is holding in the air.

Old March 11th 07, 07:31 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.chrysler
Denny

"dprkk" > wrote in message
ups.com...
> Ok, not exactly specific to Chrysler but since this is my favorite
> technical car group and it is a problem with my 91 GC, here goes. Can
> a tire valve stem be changed without removing the tire? Can the stem
> be forced in from the outside instead of the inside? Right now the
> dust cap is holding in the air.

Nope. You're gonna have to break down the tire. There is no way you're going
to get that knob of rubber thru the hole. Think about it, if you 'could'
force the end of the stem thru the hole, would you really want to drive on
it with 35 psi pushing outward?? I mean, if it could be pushed thru, it
could come out anytime.

Denny

Old March 11th 07, 07:36 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.chrysler
dprkk

On Mar 11, 2:31 pm, "Denny" > wrote:
> "dprkk" > wrote in message
>
> ups.com...> Ok, not exactly specific to Chrysler but since this is my favorite
> > technical car group and it is a problem with my 91 GC, here goes. Can
> > a tire valve stem be changed without removing the tire? Can the stem
> > be forced in from the outside instead of the inside? Right now the
> > dust cap is holding in the air.

> Nope. You're gonna have to break down the tire. There is no way you're going
> to get that knob of rubber thru the hole. Think about it, if you 'could'
> force the end of the stem thru the hole, would you really want to drive on
> it with 35 psi pushing outward?? I mean, if it could be pushed thru, it
> could come out anytime.
>
> Denny

Denny,

Thanks for your reply. Is there a way to break the tire free at that
portion of the rim with hand tools?

Old March 11th 07, 07:53 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.chrysler
Robert Reynolds

dprkk wrote:
> On Mar 11, 2:31 pm, "Denny" > wrote:
>> "dprkk" > wrote in message
>>
>> ups.com...> Ok, not exactly specific to Chrysler but since this is my favorite
>>> technical car group and it is a problem with my 91 GC, here goes. Can
>>> a tire valve stem be changed without removing the tire? Can the stem
>>> be forced in from the outside instead of the inside? Right now the
>>> dust cap is holding in the air.

>> Nope. You're gonna have to break down the tire. There is no way you're going
>> to get that knob of rubber thru the hole. Think about it, if you 'could'
>> force the end of the stem thru the hole, would you really want to drive on
>> it with 35 psi pushing outward?? I mean, if it could be pushed thru, it
>> could come out anytime.
>>
>> Denny

> Denny,
>
> Thanks for your reply. Is there a way to break the tire free at that
> portion of the rim with hand tools?

If I were stuck on the side of the road without access to a tire shop,
here's what I would do. Let all of the air out, set the tire flat on
the ground, and jump on the sidewall right next to the stem. If you do
this vigorously enough it should break the bead away from the rim. If
you can't get it loose by jumping on it, I would hesitate to use hand
tools because you're just asking for damage if you start sticking
screwdrivers and crowbars in there. You might try putting a short 2x4
against the sidewall right next to the rim and whack it with a sledge
hammer.

After you get the old stem out, put some watered down liquid dish soap
on the new one and pop it into the hole. Put some on the tire bead
where you broke it loose, to help it reseat itself when you air it up.
If you're having trouble getting the tire to hold air because it doesn't
seat against the rim all the way around, try tying a rope around the
tire and pull it tight against the tread to push the sidewalls outward.
This trick works like a charm.

If all else fails, take it to a tire shop and let them do it. It will
probably cost you ten bucks or less. If not, try a used tire shop.
They tend to have better prices.
Old March 11th 07, 08:50 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.chrysler
Ken Weitzel

Robert Reynolds wrote:
> dprkk wrote:
>> On Mar 11, 2:31 pm, "Denny" > wrote:
>>> "dprkk" > wrote in message
>>>
>>> ups.com...> Ok, not
>>> exactly specific to Chrysler but since this is my favorite
>>> Nope. You're gonna have to break down the tire. There is no way
>>> you're going
>>> to get that knob of rubber thru the hole. Think about it, if you 'could'
>>> force the end of the stem thru the hole, would you really want to
>>> drive on
>>> it with 35 psi pushing outward?? I mean, if it could be pushed thru, it
>>> could come out anytime.
>>>
>>> Denny

>> Denny,
>>
>> Thanks for your reply. Is there a way to break the tire free at that
>> portion of the rim with hand tools?
>>

> If I were stuck on the side of the road without access to a tire shop,
> here's what I would do. Let all of the air out, set the tire flat on
> the ground, and jump on the sidewall right next to the stem. If you do
> this vigorously enough it should break the bead away from the rim. If
> you can't get it loose by jumping on it, I would hesitate to use hand
> tools because you're just asking for damage if you start sticking
> screwdrivers and crowbars in there. You might try putting a short 2x4
> against the sidewall right next to the rim and whack it with a sledge
> hammer.
>
> After you get the old stem out, put some watered down liquid dish soap
> on the new one and pop it into the hole. Put some on the tire bead
> where you broke it loose, to help it reseat itself when you air it up.
> If you're having trouble getting the tire to hold air because it doesn't
> seat against the rim all the way around, try tying a rope around the
> tire and pull it tight against the tread to push the sidewalls outward.
> This trick works like a charm.
>
> If all else fails, take it to a tire shop and let them do it. It will
> probably cost you ten bucks or less. If not, try a used tire shop. They
> tend to have better prices.

Hi...

For whatever little it may be worth... back in the olden days we used
to use an old fashioned bumper tire jack. Just put the tire in position
under the bumper, put the base of the jack on the tire wedged as well as
you can between the wheel/tire joint. Then jack the car up until the
bead breaks.

Take care.

Ken
Old March 11th 07, 10:12 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.chrysler
Tom Bavis

On 11 Mar 2007 12:12:57 -0700, "dprkk" >
wrote:

>Ok, not exactly specific to Chrysler but since this is my favorite
>technical car group and it is a problem with my 91 GC, here goes. Can
>a tire valve stem be changed without removing the tire? Can the stem
>be forced in from the outside instead of the inside? Right now the
>dust cap is holding in the air.

Maybe you could unscrew the valve core and screw in a new one? Might
be all you need.
Old March 11th 07, 11:22 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.chrysler
maxpower

"dprkk" > wrote in message
ups.com...
> Ok, not exactly specific to Chrysler but since this is my favorite
> technical car group and it is a problem with my 91 GC, here goes. Can
> a tire valve stem be changed without removing the tire? Can the stem
> be forced in from the outside instead of the inside? Right now the
> dust cap is holding in the air.

Yes it can be done with an object that will not tear the rubber, put some
lube on it and work it in when there is no air in the tire

Glenn Beasley
Chrysler Tech

Old March 12th 07, 04:44 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.chrysler
Knifeblade_03[_150_]

yeah, I was wondering the same as Tom, what if it just a stuck valve
stem? Easy to replace, no tire hassles at all. Cheap enough, even
with buying the small tool. Or having a good needle-nose.

If it IS the stem, I fully agree, you have to break the rim bead. U
can decide how, some DIY advice given. They do work. Seating the stem
against the rim will require the front bead to emrge from the rim, stems
have two beads for the sealing properties.

Ucan get the tool cheaply, or I bet local tire shop might let ya use
one real quick. If ya go through all the hassle to break bead yourself
to replace a stem, ya really need to ensure the stem gets
seated!!!!!!!!!!.

Generally, if not on-the-road repair, I'd take it a shop, let them bust
the bead and install a new stem, in-out within 10 minutes, say $10 bill.

--
Knifeblade_03
Knifeblade_03's Profile: http://www.automotiveforums.com/vbul...?userid=262826

http://www.automotiveforums.com