96 Civic transmission problems?

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old April 22nd 07, 02:40 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda
Darth Jeff

Default 96 Civic transmission problems?

I have a 1996 civic manual with 130k on the original clutch.

I have been hearing some strange noise when I first start moving until
I get around 40mph in 3rd or 4th gear.

At idle with the clutch out, you can hear the same noise though to a
lesser extent. As soon as I put the clutch in the noise completely
disappears!

I get my car service at two dealers, I just usually alternate between
them. Do not ask me why, just happens that way. I have on dealer who
looked at it a bit with my last service and said it sounds like my
transmission is shot or has some chipped gears, but they would need
the day for several days to investigate. The very same day I went to
other dealer and they said it may be my clutch since I am on the
original clutch. The pressure plate or something like that.

So I am confused as to which dealer I go to. Which diagnosis sounds
more reliable? I find it hard to believe the transmission is dead
after just 130k. I am praying for a clutch, because I have heard
transmissions are about $3,000. Thankyou for any input.