Fast Idle Valve Disabled?

Old November 3rd 06, 05:52 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda,alt.autos.honda

Default Fast Idle Valve Disabled?

My Civic '95 ESi (1.6L SOHC non-vtec D16 variant), had a high-idle
problem before. When warm, there was suction at the TB lower port
(which according to the manual, there shouldn't be). I temporarily
"fixed" the problem by blocking off the fast idle valve.

When started cold, the EACV seems to be effectively taking over the
role of the FITV, raising idle accordingly. Is this a workable
solution? Any ill effects from this?

We don't get winters here, so very-cold-start is not an issue. In fact,
on later Civic models the FITV is missing; there is only one TB port,
and the IACV (EACV) takes over everything.

Old November 3rd 06, 06:47 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda,alt.autos.honda
TeGGeR®

wrote in
ups.com:

> My Civic '95 ESi (1.6L SOHC non-vtec D16 variant), had a high-idle
> problem before. When warm, there was suction at the TB lower port
> (which according to the manual, there shouldn't be). I temporarily
> "fixed" the problem by blocking off the fast idle valve.
>
> When started cold, the EACV seems to be effectively taking over the
> role of the FITV, raising idle accordingly. Is this a workable
> solution? Any ill effects from this?
>
> We don't get winters here, so very-cold-start is not an issue. In
> fact, on later Civic models the FITV is missing; there is only one TB
> port, and the IACV (EACV) takes over everything.

If you never need the additional air supplied by the Fast Idle Valve,
then your solution is definitely workable. Later models have a different
design of EACV (called an IAC) that assumes the role of all three
auxiliary air supply devices formerly used.

However, the usual reason for FITV failure is cooling system neglect.
The hose going to the EACV and FITV are very small in diameter and are
easily blocked by the sludge that forms when coolant gets old. If I were
you, I'd start seriously investigating the condition of the cooling
system.

--
TeGGeR®

The Unofficial Honda/Acura FAQ
www.tegger.com/hondafaq/
Old November 4th 06, 05:22 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda,alt.autos.honda
sharx333

Thanks a lot! Will do.