SVT/GT500 News

Old March 25th 06, 02:06 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang

Default SVT/GT500 News

"Zombywoof" > wrote in message
> On Fri, 24 Mar 2006 07:35:31 -0500, "dwight" >
> wrote:
>
>>"Brent P" > wrote in message
>>>
>>> You may be willing to play ford's game and may not like that I am not
>>> willing to. But as I follow this stuff online, fewer and fewer people
>>> are willing to do so. Ford will be gutting their most loyal customer
>>> base
>>> if they persist in this direction.

>>Odd.
>>
>>I'm of the impression that Ford will sell every Mustang it builds, and
>>certainly every GT500.
>>

> More then likely you are correct. However, I highly suspect the price
> point will vary from dealer to dealer and time of year as well. Ford
> about damn near hung themselves with 2004's as many were sitting on
> local lots wayyyy into 2005. Even Mach 1's.

D'ya suppose that had anything to do with the soon-to-be-released redesign?
After all, if it's June and I'm trying to decide whether to buy a 2004 or
wait four months for the all-new much-better 2005, I might have left that
2004 on the lot, too.

dwight

Old March 25th 06, 02:16 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang

"Michael Johnson, PE" > wrote in
:

> Zombywoof wrote:
>> On Fri, 24 Mar 2006 00:44:48 -0500, "Michael Johnson, PE"
>> > wrote:

>>> Here is a link: http://www.monstermiata.com/default.asp
>>>
>>> The Solstice is more manly than the Miata. It would be a nice car
>>> but I wonder if it is front heavy to the point it effects handling.
>>> It is nice that they have a 2-year, 24k mile warranty.
>>>

>> Ha hah, I see. It is a kit similar to V8 Fiero conversions & S-10 V*
>> swap-outs. Quite a bit different then a complete car engineered &
>> produced by a factory as the Mallet cars are. While the overall
>> concept is cool it is quite old (throwing big engine in little car)
>> and just a kit to simplify the process.

> The best application of a big engine in a little car was an MG I saw
> in my teenage years that had a 327 stuffed into it. It looked like an
> ass kicker and probably was.

My vote goes to the AC Cobra.

>> With the Mallet GM platforms it is a donor car (usually new) and
>> sacks of money to end up with damn near a production level model.
>> Hell there is even a 2/2 warranty to go with it. Now what did
>> surprise me with the Mallet Solstice/Sky is that they are limiting
>> them to 100 end-units which seems strange to me. Why would any end
>> product manufacturer constrain themselves to any output other then by
>> demand? Why wouldn't they want to make as many as they can sell,
>> unless GM is restricting their new parts access of course.

LOL! Deja Vu. Sounds exactly like what's been said about the GT500.

> With more production comes more problems to overcome. Maybe they just
> don't want to expand for one model that Pontiac might decide to cancel
> next year. Having been a business owner, I can think of many reasons
> why they might want to limit production.
>
>> Personally if I did go this route I would want to wait for a while
>> after buying the car to have the conversion done. However, it looks
>> like with the Solstice & Sky, he who waits will be lost.

> If you want one you will probably need to pull the trigger now.

OTOH, a nice late-60s muscle car would be nice too. And about 1/3 to 1/2
the price.

>> Oh their Caddy CTS-V unit looks interesting as well.

> I've never been a Caddy man.

Me neither until I checked out the CTS-V. It's basically a 4-door
Corvette. 400/395 LS2 stock.
Old March 25th 06, 03:38 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang

Zombywoof wrote:
> On Sat, 25 Mar 2006 00:34:19 -0500, "Michael Johnson, PE"
> > wrote:
> <snip>
>> My big issue with Ford on the GT500 is all the hype they have generated
>> about bringing the car to market at the $40k-$45k level. They know a
>> low production run will hike the price well beyond $50k. If they do
>> limit production then I figure the '89 LX sitting in my garage will be
>> my last new Mustang. It really irritates me that they have made such an
>> issue about the price of the GT500 and if what is rumored comes to pass
>> they have shown their word means nothing. All I want from Ford is to
>> say what they will do and then do what they have said. Maybe that is
>> asking too much of them.
>>

> Hell I had a big enough issue with them over the GT to sit idlely by
> and watch them do the same damn thing with the GT500. It seems that
> the manufacturers have caught on to the fact that there are an awful
> lot of fools out there with more money then sense.

At least with the GT they stated a production number and an MSRP and for
the most part have held to those numbers. The dealers did what dealers
do and tried to maximize profits. Ford has made a huge issue since last
summer of bringing the GT500 in at $40k and making them in decent
quantity. The GT500 was to be the next incarnation of the Terminator
Cobra with a little extra by adding the Shelby name on the rear end.
They aren't saying this anymore. Now the car is some kind of special
limited production run targeted at collectors.

I'm a patient man and will wait this out to see what really happens with
the pricing. If I can't get a GT500 then a garden variety GT will not
be what I am looking for. I have done the buildup routine and don't
want to take that path again. I want a monster from the factory that I
can drive and enjoy from day one and with a warranty. Funny but that is
what I thought Ford had now with the Cobra model. A high reasonably
priced, high performance Mustang for those of us wanting a more than a
GT could deliver. Maybe that isn't so anymore. Hell, I would have
settled for the current model with the '03-'04 Cobra drive train. I'm
not greedy and didn't need, or want, Shelby's name on the car.
Old March 25th 06, 06:22 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang

Joe wrote:
> "Michael Johnson, PE" > wrote in
> :
>
>> Zombywoof wrote:
>>> On Fri, 24 Mar 2006 00:44:48 -0500, "Michael Johnson, PE"

>>> Ha hah, I see. It is a kit similar to V8 Fiero conversions & S-10 V*
>>> swap-outs. Quite a bit different then a complete car engineered &
>>> produced by a factory as the Mallet cars are. While the overall
>>> concept is cool it is quite old (throwing big engine in little car)
>>> and just a kit to simplify the process.

>> The best application of a big engine in a little car was an MG I saw
>> in my teenage years that had a 327 stuffed into it. It looked like an
>> ass kicker and probably was.

> My vote goes to the AC Cobra.
>
>>> With the Mallet GM platforms it is a donor car (usually new) and
>>> sacks of money to end up with damn near a production level model.
>>> Hell there is even a 2/2 warranty to go with it. Now what did
>>> surprise me with the Mallet Solstice/Sky is that they are limiting
>>> them to 100 end-units which seems strange to me. Why would any end
>>> product manufacturer constrain themselves to any output other then by
>>> demand? Why wouldn't they want to make as many as they can sell,
>>> unless GM is restricting their new parts access of course.

> LOL! Deja Vu. Sounds exactly like what's been said about the GT500.
>
>> With more production comes more problems to overcome. Maybe they just
>> don't want to expand for one model that Pontiac might decide to cancel
>> next year. Having been a business owner, I can think of many reasons
>> why they might want to limit production.
>>
>>> Personally if I did go this route I would want to wait for a while
>>> after buying the car to have the conversion done. However, it looks
>>> like with the Solstice & Sky, he who waits will be lost.

>> If you want one you will probably need to pull the trigger now.

> OTOH, a nice late-60s muscle car would be nice too. And about 1/3 to 1/2
> the price.
>
>>> Oh their Caddy CTS-V unit looks interesting as well.

>> I've never been a Caddy man.

> Me neither until I checked out the CTS-V. It's basically a 4-door
> Corvette. 400/395 LS2 stock.

I haven't warmed up to the new style of the Caddies. They look like
something that the Bizzaro Superman would drive.
Old March 25th 06, 07:43 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang

On Sat, 25 Mar 2006 09:06:21 -0500, "dwight" >
wrote:

>"Zombywoof" > wrote in message
.. .
>> On Fri, 24 Mar 2006 07:35:31 -0500, "dwight" >
>> wrote:

>>>Odd.
>>>
>>>I'm of the impression that Ford will sell every Mustang it builds, and
>>>certainly every GT500.
>>>

>> More then likely you are correct. However, I highly suspect the price
>> point will vary from dealer to dealer and time of year as well. Ford
>> about damn near hung themselves with 2004's as many were sitting on
>> local lots wayyyy into 2005. Even Mach 1's.

>D'ya suppose that had anything to do with the soon-to-be-released redesign?
>After all, if it's June and I'm trying to decide whether to buy a 2004 or
>wait four months for the all-new much-better 2005, I might have left that
>2004 on the lot, too.
>
>dwight

Of course it does, and it happens more & more every year as the design
gets older and suspected new toys are added to the next model years
version.

Moderation is for monks."

ZombyWoof
(take the dogs when replying via e-mail)
Old March 25th 06, 07:51 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang

On Fri, 24 Mar 2006 21:37:56 -0600, wrote:

>I'm just a simple man, one who works for a living. I bought a '68
>Baracuda formula S and "loved it" till I had to sell it because of a
>"deeper love" (to whom I am still married) There just wasn't enough
>money to have both my "loves." At any rate, after returning from
>Europe (in the Air Force) I bought a Ford, and have been driving
>Fords since 1973. I will be the first to admit, I'm not a "fleet
>dealer" and I won't make or break Ford with my "loyalty" That's not
>the reason I drive a 2005 Mustang GT. I drive it because when I was
>a kid in high school (without a pot to **** in...) I dreamed of
>having one. After high school and raising a family (that would never
>fit on a Mustang) I finally was able to buy one and enjoy it. My
>wife drives a Mercury Mountaineer. I might add that I have a
>relationship with both the Ford and Mercury dealerships in my home
>town that spans three decades. Some may call me a "Ford man" I
>wouldn't disagree.

Well I've long dreamed a little dream of re-owning a 1970 Plmouth Cuda
AAR finished in FT6 Burnt tan metallic with tan bucket interior.
Powered by a 340/6 pack T/A engine, with pistol grip 4-speed
transmission, power steering, power brakes, console, rally dash, and
rally rims.

Or in my wildest of dreams a 1971 Plymouth Hemi Cuda
powered by a 426/425hp Hemi engine, with a 4 speed pistol grip
transmission and Dana rear-end that I sold the above for to purchase
and then got drafted prior to purchasing. Oh, I don't give a rats ass
about it's color either.

Think my dream(s) will ever come true as a poor working Joe?

Old March 26th 06, 03:54 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang

"Michael Johnson, PE" > wrote in
:

> Joe wrote:
>> "Michael Johnson, PE" > wrote in
>> :

>>> The best application of a big engine in a little car was an MG I saw
>>> in my teenage years that had a 327 stuffed into it. It looked like
>>> an ass kicker and probably was.

>> My vote goes to the AC Cobra.

>> LOL! Deja Vu. Sounds exactly like what's been said about the GT500.
>>
>>> With more production comes more problems to overcome. Maybe they
>>> just don't want to expand for one model that Pontiac might decide to
>>> cancel next year. Having been a business owner, I can think of many
>>> reasons why they might want to limit production.

>>> If you want one you will probably need to pull the trigger now.

>> OTOH, a nice late-60s muscle car would be nice too. And about 1/3 to
>> 1/2 the price.

>>> I've never been a Caddy man.

>> Me neither until I checked out the CTS-V. It's basically a 4-door
>> Corvette. 400/395 LS2 stock.

> I haven't warmed up to the new style of the Caddies. They look like
> something that the Bizzaro Superman would drive.

Seen 'em in person yet? Pop the hood on one. You'll like that view a
lot. Better yet, sit in one and imagine driving a 'Vette. It's not
that much of a stretch.
Old March 26th 06, 05:17 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang

Joe wrote:
> "Michael Johnson, PE" > wrote in
> :
>
>> Joe wrote:
>>> "Michael Johnson, PE" > wrote in
>>> :

>>> My vote goes to the AC Cobra.

>>> LOL! Deja Vu. Sounds exactly like what's been said about the GT500.

>>> OTOH, a nice late-60s muscle car would be nice too. And about 1/3 to
>>> 1/2 the price.

>>> Me neither until I checked out the CTS-V. It's basically a 4-door
>>> Corvette. 400/395 LS2 stock.

>> I haven't warmed up to the new style of the Caddies. They look like
>> something that the Bizzaro Superman would drive.

> Seen 'em in person yet? Pop the hood on one. You'll like that view a
> lot. Better yet, sit in one and imagine driving a 'Vette. It's not
> that much of a stretch.

I have no problem with what they have under the skin. I think Caddy has
some very well engineered vehicles. I'm just not a big fan of the "cut"
design style. Caddy seems to use designs that become dated too quickly,
IMHO. To me, Mercedes designs, by contrast, seem more timeless. It's
just a personal preference thing on my part.
Old March 26th 06, 05:55 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang

"Michael Johnson, PE" > wrote in
:

> Joe wrote:
>> "Michael Johnson, PE" > wrote in
>> :

>>> I haven't warmed up to the new style of the Caddies. They look like
>>> something that the Bizzaro Superman would drive.

>> Seen 'em in person yet? Pop the hood on one. You'll like that view
>> a lot. Better yet, sit in one and imagine driving a 'Vette.
>> It's not that much of a stretch.

> I have no problem with what they have under the skin. I think Caddy
> has some very well engineered vehicles. I'm just not a big fan of the
> "cut" design style. Caddy seems to use designs that become dated too
> quickly, IMHO. To me, Mercedes designs, by contrast, seem more
> timeless. It's just a personal preference thing on my part.

Gotta agree with you there, Michael. Although I think the new 'R'
series looks weird.