8.8 rear end questions

Old June 14th 09, 08:20 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang
elaich[_3_]

Default 8.8 rear end questions

My '83 GT has a Turbo Coupe 8.8 in it, and it's grinding. It only grinds
when making a turn, and only after the car has been driven for awhile. All
the info I can find suggests that thelube is worn out/too thin, and that
seems to be the case. When I drained it, it was quite thin looking. I
cleaned out the housing, and refilled it with 80/85/90W lube, but I can't
drive it to test it out, because the car is on non-op (California.)

I just wondered if anyone else knows of another thing that would cause
this?

Also, I have about 1/8" end play on both axles. That seems excessive to me,
but everybody, even the Ford mechanic, says that's the nature of the beast.
These are not pressed on bearings, it's a C-clip rear end. I was wondering
if there's any way to adjust the end play, like a thicker C-clip?
Old June 15th 09, 05:59 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang
GILL[_4_]

elaich wrote:
> My '83 GT has a Turbo Coupe 8.8 in it, and it's grinding. It only grinds
> when making a turn, and only after the car has been driven for awhile. All
> the info I can find suggests that thelube is worn out/too thin, and that
> seems to be the case. When I drained it, it was quite thin looking. I
> cleaned out the housing, and refilled it with 80/85/90W lube, but I can't
> drive it to test it out, because the car is on non-op (California.)
>
> I just wondered if anyone else knows of another thing that would cause
> this?
>
> Also, I have about 1/8" end play on both axles. That seems excessive to me,
> but everybody, even the Ford mechanic, says that's the nature of the beast.
> These are not pressed on bearings, it's a C-clip rear end. I was wondering
> if there's any way to adjust the end play, like a thicker C-clip?

Check the bearings, I had fronts go out that had me thinking the rear
was grinding like that in turns.
Old June 15th 09, 11:20 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang
John S.[_1_]

On Jun 14, 7:20 pm, elaich > wrote:
> My '83 GT has a Turbo Coupe 8.8 in it, and it's grinding. It only grinds
> when making a turn, and only after the car has been driven for awhile. All
> the info I can find suggests that thelube is worn out/too thin, and that
> seems to be the case. When I drained it, it was quite thin looking. I
> cleaned out the housing, and refilled it with 80/85/90W lube, but I can't
> drive it to test it out, because the car is on non-op (California.)
>
> I just wondered if anyone else knows of another thing that would cause
> this?
>
> Also, I have about 1/8" end play on both axles. That seems excessive to me,
> but everybody, even the Ford mechanic, says that's the nature of the beast.
> These are not pressed on bearings, it's a C-clip rear end. I was wondering
> if there's any way to adjust the end play, like a thicker C-clip?

Don't forget to added some friction modifier! (something like this:
http://www.jegs.com/i/JEGS/555/60120/10002/-1)

Old June 15th 09, 04:12 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang
elaich[_3_]

"John S." > wrote in news:806f2209-30ba-44cc-9505-
:

> Don't forget to added some friction modifier! (something like this:

http://www.jegs.com/i/JEGS/555/60120/10002/-1)

It's not a limited slip, but I suppose that couldn't hurt.
Old June 15th 09, 05:20 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang
John S.[_1_]

On Jun 15, 3:12 pm, elaich > wrote:
> "John S." > wrote in news:806f2209-30ba-44cc-9505-
> :
>
> > Don't forget to added some friction modifier! (something like this:
> >http://www.jegs.com/i/JEGS/555/60120/10002/-1)

> It's not a limited slip, but I suppose that couldn't hurt.

My bad! I assumed the 8.8 had a trac-loc in it...
Old June 15th 09, 10:21 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang
RB[_2_]

John S. wrote:
> My bad! I assumed the 8.8 had a trac-loc in it...

I thought the same thing.

If it's grinding back there, it can be several things:

Outer wheel bearings? Jack up the rear one at a time and rotate. Got
noise? Radial movement?

Differential side bearings. Did the new oil change the sound? If not,
try 85W-40 and see if that changes it. It won't hurt to run it with 140
for a while, especially in the summer.

Pinion bearings. See above for side bearings. On some cars a noisy
pinion bearing will sound different in reverse.

Pinion nut backed off (check this first)

Brake caliper rubbing. Visual check, worn spots on rotor hat.

But 8.8s should be cheap at the salvage yard. You can change the whole
thing out for $100 I bet.

Old June 16th 09, 02:26 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang
elaich[_3_]

RB > wrote in -
september.org:

>> My bad! I assumed the 8.8 had a trac-loc in it...

> I thought the same thing.

Most people do, but the tag does not decode as a Trac-Loc. For Trac-Loc,
the second digit in the code should be "F". Mine is "K". At least, that's
what Chilton's says.

As far as other suggestions, remember I said it only does it when turning,
when hot. That rules out anything pinion or brake related, or outer wheel
bearings. It has to be something to do with the differential action.
Old June 16th 09, 02:50 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang
RB[_2_]

elaich wrote:
> RB > wrote in -
> september.org:
>
>>> My bad! I assumed the 8.8 had a trac-loc in it...

>> I thought the same thing.

> Most people do, but the tag does not decode as a Trac-Loc. For Trac-Loc,
> the second digit in the code should be "F". Mine is "K". At least, that's
> what Chilton's says.
>
> As far as other suggestions, remember I said it only does it when turning,
> when hot. That rules out anything pinion or brake related, or outer wheel
> bearings. It has to be something to do with the differential action.

Not neccessarily. Sideloads can make things shift, or increase the load
on that outer bearing.
Old June 17th 09, 05:32 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang
elaich[_3_]

RB > wrote in -
september.org:

> Not neccessarily. Sideloads can make things shift, or increase the load
> on that outer bearing.

Even on a C-clip axle where the axle slides in and out of the bearing?
Old June 17th 09, 02:25 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang
RB[_2_]

elaich wrote:
> RB > wrote in -
> september.org:
>
>> Not neccessarily. Sideloads can make things shift, or increase the load
>> on that outer bearing.

> Even on a C-clip axle where the axle slides in and out of the bearing?

Sure. when you turn a corner, part of the side loads are vectored into a
radial load through the bearing to the axle housing.