This DeLorean: Is this deal worth it?

Old May 9th 04, 07:22 AM
Joey Tribiani

On Sat, 08 May 2004 15:51:32 +0100, Howard Rose
> ran around screaming and yelling:

>Well, if you've got you don't want.. .I'll gladly take one off your
>hands :-)
>
>Deloreans are one of the coolest cars ever made. I love 'em.

would go well with a mini and a 66 acvw, eh?
JT
Old May 10th 04, 09:29 AM
John McCabe

On Fri, 7 May 2004 17:53:27 +0100, "John" >
wrote:

>Perhaps it's 'special' white dust.

Ha ha - very witty!!!

Best Regards
John McCabe

To reply by email replace 'nospam' with 'assen'
Old May 10th 04, 09:40 AM
John McCabe

On Sat, 8 May 2004 21:55:15 -0500, "David Williams"
> wrote:

>Biggest problem with the Delorean was its anemic engine. But
>if it hadn't been so underpowered, it would've been dangerous.

It wasn't quite so underpowered in europe as it was in USA because of
the less stringent emissions regulations - european cars actually
performed quite well for that time - I think they could hit about
130-135mph and 0-60 in around 8.5s compared to US spec of around
110mph and 10.5s.

See also.

http://www.delorean.com/performance.asp
http://www.delorean.co.uk/DMUK/perfomance.html

Old May 10th 04, 02:42 PM
Stephen H. Westin

Richard Kilpatrick > writes:

> In article >, Stephen H.
> Westin > wrote:
>
> > And it saved the cost and aggravation of building a paint shop and
> > getting good quality out of it. The stainless steel itself was a
> > response to the poor surface finish from the molding process used:
> > ERM, or Elastic Reservoir Molding, as I recall.

> Delorean wanted a car that didn't rust. I wasn't aware of the stainless
> being a response, rather, one of the few aspects of the car that wasn't
> compromised on.

Well, the plastic wouldn't rust, either. Why cover it with stainless
which, under certain circumstances, will? It's additional weight and
construction complexity. And it means all your hihg-priced sports cars
come out the same color. I believe the ERM process was licensed from
Lotus after Lotus couldn't find a use for it.

--
-Stephen H. Westin
Old May 11th 04, 12:56 AM
Andy Dingley

On Thu, 06 May 2004 20:34:33 GMT, Tony P.
> wrote:

>And gull wing door - don't see much of those anymore.

Toyota Sera ? There's an owner in this thread.

Cleaning a DeLorean _is_ a difficult job, like cleaning any stainless
steel kitchen. The chrome in stainless steel is highly reactive and
after any harsh cleaning you need to repassivate it carefully,
otherwise you get uneven staining. Pressure-wash a DeLorean, leave it
to dry in hot sun or after a city rainstorm and you'll find there are
water droplet stains that won't shift. If you really go to town on
one, passivate it afterwards (I'd suggest citric acid) before you let
it dry.

--
Smert' spamionam
Old May 13th 04, 09:10 AM
Adrian

Andy Dingley ) gurgled happily, sounding much like
they were saying :

> Cleaning a DeLorean _is_ a difficult job, like cleaning any stainless
> steel kitchen.

Pah. All you need is a brillo pad and some fairy liquid....

<fx: Hello, OvenClean? Yes, I'd like to book my car in for a valet, please>

> If you really go to town on one, passivate it afterwards (I'd suggest
> citric acid) before you let it dry.

How appropriate for a car widely perceived as a lemon...

Am I gettin a decent deal? [email protected] BMW 2 December 1st 04 07:58 PM
Whats it worth? Adrian Plant Alfa Romeo 3 July 28th 04 08:44 AM
Looking to buy a 2001 S4 - Is this a good deal? GMan Audi 2 June 27th 04 09:02 PM
Is this a deal? 2001 S4 GMan Audi 0 June 27th 04 05:09 AM
91 Dodge Stealth good deal? Richard Cesar Dodge 2 June 8th 04 05:24 AM