sopranos goof

Old April 21st 04, 05:10 PM
Daniel J. Stern

Default sopranos goof

On Wed, 21 Apr 2004, z wrote:

> In last week's Sopranos, Tony has a flashback to when he was 16, and his
> father excused his late arrival home by saying the car broke a timing
> belt. What cars had timing belts in the 60s? This is like all the movies
> that take place in the 50s, and the driver turns on the car radio and it
> plays with no warmup.

Oh yeah, I *hate* stupid errors like this. It arises from willful
ignorance and laziness. The list goes on and on: '59 Cadillacs with
automatic transmissions that sound like '88 Tercels with stick shifts when
started and driven. Nonexistent "440 Hemi" engines and "Holley Quadrajet"
carburetors.

It's one of the many reasons I no longer watch television.

DS
Old April 22nd 04, 04:58 AM
Daniel J. Stern

On Wed, 21 Apr 2004, Scott in Aztl=E1n wrote:

> Remember Die Hard 2, which allegedly took place in Dulles Airport in
> Washington, D.C.? But all the payphones in the airport say "Pacific
> Bell"

THat movie was filmed at the then-recently-decommissioned Stapleton
International Airport in Denver. The payphones said "USWest".

DS
Old April 22nd 04, 03:44 PM
Matthew Russotto

In article ich.edu>,
Daniel J. Stern > wrote:
>On Wed, 21 Apr 2004, Scott in Aztl=E1n wrote:
>
>> Remember Die Hard 2, which allegedly took place in Dulles Airport in
>> Washington, D.C.? But all the payphones in the airport say "Pacific
>> Bell"

>THat movie was filmed at the then-recently-decommissioned Stapleton
>International Airport in Denver. The payphones said "USWest".

Nope, they were Pacific Bell, filmed at LAX. You'd think the film
crew could have gotten a Bell Atlantic phone or facade for use during
the movie.

Some of the scenes were filmed at Stapleton, but the ones where you
get a good look at the payphones were done at LAX.

Old April 22nd 04, 04:12 PM
C.R. Krieger

"Daniel J. Stern" > wrote in message in.umich.edu>...
> On Wed, 21 Apr 2004, z wrote:
>
> > In last week's Sopranos, Tony has a flashback to when he was 16, and his
> > father excused his late arrival home by saying the car broke a timing
> > belt. What cars had timing belts in the 60s? This is like all the movies
> > that take place in the 50s, and the driver turns on the car radio and it
> > plays with no warmup.

> Oh yeah, I *hate* stupid errors like this. It arises from willful
> ignorance and laziness. The list goes on and on: '59 Cadillacs with
> automatic transmissions that sound like '88 Tercels with stick shifts when
> started and driven. Nonexistent "440 Hemi" engines and "Holley Quadrajet"
> carburetors.
>
> It's one of the many reasons I no longer watch television.

Aw, c'mon, Daniel! That's one of the best reasons *to* watch! All
those Highland Park Hummingbirds (Have you ever heard a *non*-Mopar
starter on a TV show?), Jim Rockford squealing the Firebird's tires on
grass and gravel, and the apparently required jump ramp pulled around
by every pyrotechnic-rigged car in California (according to CHiPs - I
haven't been there). Of course, who can forget Henry Gibson's Pinto
wagon chasing the Blues Brothers through Chicago and suddenly jumping
off an incomplete highway bridge in Milwaukee (and still landing in
Chicago)? Lake Michigan rolling its waves *from the west* over I-94
next to Six Flags in the intro sequence to that Suzanne Sommers
sitcom? The legendary *nine* wheel covers shed by the black Charger
in 'Bullitt'?

BTW, I just saw 'Jack the Bear' yesterday morning. You woulda' loved
the Valiant Danny DeVito was driving ...
--
C.R. Krieger
(Been there; broke that)
Old April 22nd 04, 04:27 PM
Brent P

In article >, C.R. Krieger wrote:

> Of course, who can forget Henry Gibson's Pinto
> wagon chasing the Blues Brothers through Chicago and suddenly jumping
> off an incomplete highway bridge in Milwaukee (and still landing in
> Chicago)?

Hey, you forgot that it comes off a highway bridge and ends up falling
from height exceeding that of the hancock building. The blues brothers
isn't supposed to be realistic.... but then again considering the love of
mopar around here you guys probably do believe a dodge monaco can do back
flips.

Old April 23rd 04, 04:59 AM
Steven E. Eyrse

When I did " Drowning Mona " With Deveto it was a story about a town
were everyone drove YUGO'S. Well we couldn't find enough of them here
in L.A. to do it. The show was also set in Verplank N.Y. but we did
it in L.A. So we just took some Datsuns and sorta made them look like
Yugos. I think we smashed every one there was.

Steve E.

Old April 28th 04, 12:03 AM
ray

>>On Wed, 21 Apr 2004, z wrote:
>>

>>>In last week's Sopranos, Tony has a flashback to when he was 16, and his
>>>father excused his late arrival home by saying the car broke a timing
>>>belt. What cars had timing belts in the 60s? This is like all the movies
>>>that take place in the 50s, and the driver turns on the car radio and it
>>>plays with no warmup.

>>Oh yeah, I *hate* stupid errors like this. It arises from willful
>>ignorance and laziness. The list goes on and on: '59 Cadillacs with
>>automatic transmissions that sound like '88 Tercels with stick shifts when
>>started and driven. Nonexistent "440 Hemi" engines and "Holley Quadrajet"
>>carburetors.
>>
>>It's one of the many reasons I no longer watch television.

And how come in all the racing movies when the hero wants to pass
for the lead he jams his foot to the floor and rockets past the
villan? WHY was he not driving full out before? he was
in a bloody car race!
(driven, days of thunder, any Burt Reynolds movie...)

Old April 28th 04, 01:07 AM
Fred Flintstone

I think all you folks have far too much time on your hands.... ;o)

Old April 28th 04, 09:18 PM

ray > wrote in message >...

> >>Oh yeah, I *hate* stupid errors like this. It arises from willful
> >>ignorance and laziness. The list goes on and on: '59 Cadillacs with
> >>automatic transmissions that sound like '88 Tercels with stick shifts when
> >>started and driven. Nonexistent "440 Hemi" engines and "Holley Quadrajet"
> >>carburetors.
> >>
> >>It's one of the many reasons I no longer watch television.

> And how come in all the racing movies when the hero wants to pass
> for the lead he jams his foot to the floor and rockets past the
> villan? WHY was he not driving full out before? he was
> in a bloody car race!
> (driven, days of thunder, any Burt Reynolds movie...)

Speed Kills.