Trucker stops in middle of interstate, causes pile-up

Old February 18th 06, 01:43 AM posted to rec.autos.driving

Default Trucker stops in middle of interstate, causes pile-up

http://tinyurl.com/86l6m

The short of it: this trucker stops in the middle of I-295NB in heavy
fog, no lights or flashers and causes a pile-up in the NB lanes which
spawns another accident in the SB lanes.

What I don't get is how he could not tell that he was in the middle of
teh flippin' travel lanes. I've driven in fog so thick as to barely
beable to see over the hood and still beable to tell which lane I was
in. But for chrissakes, this guy couldn't even put his hazard flashers
on? What an idiot.

Old February 19th 06, 05:43 PM posted to rec.autos.driving

You are kind of misleading things here.
The truck that stopped, hit nothing.
3 cars slammed into him. Nothing in the report indicates as to how
close behind the truck these 3 cars before he stopped.
A second truck hit other vehicles that may have been stopped due to the
fog.
In the video, it clearly shows two trucks. One stopped in the road,
another jackknifed.

As a trucker, I can say I have been in fog so thick you can not see the
lanes.
In those cases, I slow way down, put the flashers on and hope that
idiots behind me do the same.

Yet, there are a-hole truckers, namely drivers from roadway and yellow,
who wont slow down for nuthin, including thick fog.

Old February 19th 06, 08:49 PM posted to rec.autos.driving

necromancer wrote:
> http://tinyurl.com/86l6m
>
> The short of it: this trucker stops in the middle of I-295NB in heavy
> fog, no lights or flashers and causes a pile-up in the NB lanes which
> spawns another accident in the SB lanes.

The "no lights or flashers" seems to have been edited from the report
(pasted below).

It's the responsibility of other drivers to avoid obstacles on the
roadway. The pileup was caused by other drivers driving too fast for
conditions. P e r i o d.

> What I don't get is how he could not tell that he was in the middle of
> teh flippin' travel lanes. I've driven in fog so thick as to barely
> beable to see over the hood and still beable to tell which lane I was
> in. But for chrissakes, this guy couldn't even put his hazard flashers
> on? What an idiot.

What I don't get is how you can imagine such things that were not
reported.
--

JACKSONVILLE, FL -- A stretch of I-295 has reopened following two
chain-reaction crashes involving twenty vehicles.

An Ohio woman who was a passenger in a car was killed at the scene. The
Florida Highway Patrol says 63 year-old Kay Compher from Chillcothe,
Ohio was ejected from the car after it was hit by a semi.

A witness told authorities the driver of a tractor trailer stopped in
the middle of northbound I-295. He said he could not see due to the
fog, authorities said.

The Florida Highway Patrol said several cars slammed into the back of
the semi. Three people had to be cut from their car.

Eight vehicles wrecked in the same area but on the southbound side of
I-295. Authorities say a delivery truck flipped on its side.

In all, four people have been taken to Shands Jacksonville, one to
Baptist, and two are hospitalized at St. Vincent's.

I-295 remained closed for more than five hours between Commonwealth
Avenue and New Kings Road.

The Florida Highway Patrol says it's too early to say if anyone will be
charged in connection with the accidents. Lt. Bill Leeper made a point
of saying after the accident that stopping on the road even because of
fog is the wrong thing to do.

"Get well off the roadway. Get well out of the main travel portion of
the road if going to stop," he said.

Created: 2/17/2006 2:32:08 AM
Updated: 2/17/2006 7:49:32 PM
Edited by Gary Detman, Nightside EP
© 2006 First Coast News. All rights reserved. This material may not be
published, rewritten, or redistributed. <Sue me...>
-----

- gpsman

Old February 19th 06, 08:53 PM posted to rec.autos.driving

Laura Bush murdered her boy friend wrote: <partial idiocy snip>

> YOU CAN'T DRIVE TOO SLOW

-----
Quit crossposting this **** where it doesn't belong, you ****ing
numbnut.
-----

- gpsman

Old February 19th 06, 11:29 PM posted to rec.autos.driving

> On 2/19/2006 2:11 PM ... Laura Bush murdered her boy friend wrote:
> necromancer wrote:
>> http://tinyurl.com/86l6m
>>
>> The short of it: this trucker stops in the middle of I-295NB in heavy
>> fog, no lights or flashers and causes a pile-up in the NB lanes which
>> spawns another accident in the SB lanes.
>>
>> What I don't get is how he could not tell that he was in the middle of
>> teh flippin' travel lanes. I've driven in fog so thick as to barely
>> beable to see over the hood and still beable to tell which lane I was
>> in. But for chrissakes, this guy couldn't even put his hazard flashers
>> on? What an idiot.

> Trucker should have pulled over to the shoulder but at least he stopped
> which is smarter than the idiots who kept on driving, prolly at 80 mph.
> YOU CAN'T DRIVE TOO SLOW

Yes, it's always better to be the cause of a pile up! At least in your
world, it is.
Old February 20th 06, 01:23 AM posted to rec.autos.driving,misc.transport.road,alt.law-enforcement.traffic,talk.politics.misc

"MacGirls: Oops! We pretend to be your friends"

Quit nymshifting, troll...AND GET THE **** OUT OF ALT.TRUE-CRIME

Old February 20th 06, 06:46 AM posted to rec.autos.driving

Laura Bush murdered her boy friend wrote:
> Of the 5 NGs which ones are not appropriate?

m.t.r, and the two political groups. Even if you disagree with me about
the political groups, m.t.r is a newsgroup that discusses transportation
infrastructure. Unlike r.a.d, it's not as concerned with driving behavior.

It would be nice if you would leave m.t.r out of your list of groups you
crosspost to.
Old February 20th 06, 09:11 PM posted to rec.autos.driving

</killfile>
<misc.transport.road, alt.law-enforcement.traffic, alt.true-crime and
talk.politics.misc removed>

> gpsman wrote:
> > Laura Bush murdered her boy friend wrote: <partial idiocy snip>
> >
> > > YOU CAN'T DRIVE TOO SLOW

> > -----
> > Quit crossposting this **** where it doesn't belong, you ****ing
> > numbnut.

> WTF are you talking about, loonybird?. Of the 5 NGs which ones are not
> appropriate?

The 4 newsgroups referenced above that I did not make the original post
to, numbnutz!

<killfile>
Old February 23rd 06, 06:06 AM posted to rec.autos.driving

! wrote:
> Laura Bush murdered her boy friend wrote:
> > YOU CAN'T DRIVE TOO SLOW

> On the contrary, if a tornado is following you down the freeway, and
> there's no exit ahead, if the tornado is moving at 40 mph, then it
> would be prudent for you to drive at least 40 mph, if not faster.

If the tornado really is moving at 40mph, just post a "SCHOOL
ZONE" sign in front of LBMHBF. Then (s)he will slowly but
surely outpace it.