Antique Car Batteries?

Old December 16th 08, 06:18 AM posted to rec.autos.antique,alt.autos.antique
Justin[_7_]

Default Antique Car Batteries?

When did vehicles start having batteries in them as a standard? 1920?
How much power did the first automotive batteries supply?
Old December 16th 08, 08:16 AM posted to rec.autos.antique,alt.autos.antique
Stude

On Dec 15, 9:18*pm, Justin > wrote:
> When did vehicles start having batteries in them as a standard? *1920?
> How much power did the first automotive batteries supply?

It would have been earlier than that. The first car with an electric
starter was the Caddy in 1915.
There is one in the San Diego Auto Museum. (FWIW, this meant the start
of many women drivers.)
As the first car radios came some years later and headlights were gas
(Propane or aceteline produced by a device on the car) what would be
the need?
Old December 18th 08, 04:50 AM posted to rec.autos.antique,alt.autos.antique
Justin[_7_]

Stude wrote:
> On Dec 15, 9:18 pm, Justin > wrote:
>> When did vehicles start having batteries in them as a standard? 1920?
>> How much power did the first automotive batteries supply?

> It would have been earlier than that. The first car with an electric
> starter was the Caddy in 1915.
> There is one in the San Diego Auto Museum. (FWIW, this meant the start
> of many women drivers.)
> As the first car radios came some years later and headlights were gas
> (Propane or aceteline produced by a device on the car) what would be
> the need?

What about power? How much electricity did they provide? 6v at a few amps?
Old December 18th 08, 05:10 AM posted to rec.autos.antique,alt.autos.antique
George Patterson

Justin wrote:

> What about power? How much electricity did they provide? 6v at a few
> amps?

Check out early radio batteries. That's what cars first used.

George Patterson
The cost of living hasn't affected its popularity.
Old December 18th 08, 08:50 PM posted to rec.autos.antique,alt.autos.antique
Stude

On Dec 17, 8:10*pm, George Patterson > wrote:
> Justin wrote:
> > What about power? *How much electricity did they provide? *6v at a few
> > amps?

> Check out early radio batteries. That's what cars first used.
>
> George Patterson
> * * The cost of living hasn't affected its popularity.

That will take some reearch. Why do you need the info? I might have
to charge if it gets too deep.

Also, the battery will not be putting out a full 6 volt when loaded
with starting an engine. Watch your lights dim when the starter is
cranking.
Old December 19th 08, 05:56 AM posted to rec.autos.antique,alt.autos.antique
Justin[_7_]

Stude wrote:
> On Dec 17, 8:10 pm, George Patterson > wrote:
>> Justin wrote:
>>> What about power? How much electricity did they provide? 6v at a few
>>> amps?

>> Check out early radio batteries. That's what cars first used.
>>
>> George Patterson
>> The cost of living hasn't affected its popularity.

> That will take some reearch. Why do you need the info? I might have
> to charge if it gets too deep.
>
> Also, the battery will not be putting out a full 6 volt when loaded
> with starting an engine. Watch your lights dim when the starter is
> cranking.

Its a bit embarrassing. We're know are writing a screenplay; and we're
wondering what kind of power a old battery circa 1920 or so can produce.
Its a major part of the plot.
Old December 19th 08, 09:29 PM posted to rec.autos.antique,alt.autos.antique
Stude

On Dec 18, 8:56*pm, Justin > wrote:
> Stude wrote:
> >> Check out early radio batteries. That's what cars first used.

> >> George Patterson
> >> * * The cost of living hasn't affected its popularity.

> > That will take some reearch. Why do you need the info? *I might have
> > to charge if it gets too deep.

> > Also, the battery will not be putting out a *full 6 volt when loaded
> > with starting an engine. Watch your lights dim when the starter is
> > cranking.

> Its a bit embarrassing. *We're know are writing a screenplay; and we're
> wondering what kind of power a old battery circa 1920 or so can produce.
> * *Its a major part of the plot.- Hide quoted text -

If you're talking that era, it can put out maybe 50-100 amps to the
starter.
If you're trying to to kill someone, you will have to get into the
flesh to where the resistance is less.

Try putting your hand across the battery terminals in your car, which
is 12 volts, no doubt.
(Don't touch any other part of the car while doing this.)
You'll live.
Now, wet your hands and do it and you'll feel it a bit more. (try it
with one wet hand, first)

OKI,enough fooling around, I just did all I wrote above, licked
fingers - and felt NOTHING.
Admittedly, the terminals were dry and insulated by the natural
(oxide?) skin that insulates most
battery teminals.

I'm afraid that our plan is NG.
Now, if you could rewrite it so that a victim with a weak heart is
working on a running car and gets one hand on a sparkplug termnal of
the running car while the other hand is on a (wet?) part of the clean
car chassis, you might be on to something.

Now, if you take into account the ignorance of the average play / film
auduence, you'll usually get away with anything.
Playwrites don't take the geeks of Silicon Valley into account when
writing.

BTW, in the twenties, most cars were 6 volts.

For a car-involved way of underhood death, have a blade come loose
from a spinning fan on a reving engine.
This happens several times a year - never stand in the line of fire
around a running engine. This is no BS!

Let me know what you come up with.
Old December 20th 08, 12:20 AM posted to rec.autos.antique,alt.autos.antique
Justin[_7_]

Stude wrote:
> On Dec 18, 8:56 pm, Justin > wrote:
>> Stude wrote:
>>> That will take some reearch. Why do you need the info? I might have
>>> to charge if it gets too deep.
>>> Also, the battery will not be putting out a full 6 volt when loaded
>>> with starting an engine. Watch your lights dim when the starter is
>>> cranking.

>> Its a bit embarrassing. We're know are writing a screenplay; and we're
>> wondering what kind of power a old battery circa 1920 or so can produce.
>> Its a major part of the plot.- Hide quoted text -

> If you're talking that era, it can put out maybe 50-100 amps to the
> starter.

> For a car-involved way of underhood death, have a blade come loose
> from a spinning fan on a reving engine.
> This happens several times a year - never stand in the line of fire
> around a running engine. This is no BS!
>
> Let me know what you come up with.

He, nice!
But we're not killing anyone. Bascially the story involves hooking up
two or three modern laptops with car/airline adapters to antique batteries.
Basically its a sci fi short story involving time travel. While a bit
lame I'll give him credit for thinking of these things. Ever see Star
Trek 4? They slingshot around the sun and up back in time. The
characters involved take a four passenger space fighter jet thing
shaped like a NASA X-23 but with faster than light capability.
Something happened to the spacecraft sending our crews back to the
1920's. In order to get back, they need to refine enough fuel to make
orbit - kerosene. They also have to calculate the trajectory via the
laptops in parallel. Since they keep the spacecraft in a shed out in
the middle of nowhere, there aren't any power lines. I also know modern
power supplies tend to fry electrical systems left over from the 1920's.
I'm not exactly sure when the modern north american sad face plug
came around, but the point is moot since they can't just bring a modern
looking spacecraft rolling around in a 1920's city.
While not exactly original, I think the fact we're trting to make it
somewhat feasible should be interesting.
I want to set it in Chicago. Chicago in the 1920's would have been
interesting. The author wants to set it in Italy, pre WW2. Where are
we supposed to get Italian antique vehicles from that period?
Surprisingly we got good responses from antique car owners who don't
mind having their vehicles involved when we start shooting - around
July. We'll probably put them in costume and have them do something.

I'm not sure, all I do is research for now.

Main obstacles for the characters: refine kerosene or alcohol for the
rocket to achieve orbit - can't fire the FTL drive in the atmosphere.
Keep the clustered laptops running and crunching numbers for the
trajectory calculations. last but not least, having the characters
interact with people of that era - after all they need food, and money
to buy fuel.
Old December 20th 08, 02:22 AM posted to rec.autos.antique,alt.autos.antique
fred

Justin > wrote in
:

> Stude wrote:
>>> Check out early radio batteries. That's what cars first used.
>>>
>>> George Patterson
>>> The cost of living hasn't affected its popularity.

>> That will take some reearch. Why do you need the info? I might have
>> to charge if it gets too deep.
>>
>> Also, the battery will not be putting out a full 6 volt when loaded
>> with starting an engine. Watch your lights dim when the starter is
>> cranking.

> Its a bit embarrassing. We're know are writing a screenplay; and we're
> wondering what kind of power a old battery circa 1920 or so can produce.
> Its a major part of the plot.

Perhaps a better direction - after reading your reply as well - would be
to involve Nicola Tesla - the inventor of alternating current and the
electrical generator. You could look up the tesla coil too. That is in the
same timespan. Plenty of voltage and current that way.
Old December 20th 08, 02:52 AM posted to rec.autos.antique,alt.autos.antique
Heather & Joe Way

On Fri, 19 Dec 2008 18:20:22 -0500, Justin
> wrote:

>He, nice!
>But we're not killing anyone. Bascially the story involves hooking up
>two or three modern laptops with car/airline adapters to antique batteries....

==========================
No problem. Two 6 volt car batteries in series, even car batteries of
that era, would run a laptop for days.

You might toss in a couple of battery recharge events to keep it
believable and realistic, but the power part is a slam dunk.

Joe
--
Heather & Joe Way
Sierra Specialty Automotive

Gel car batteries observer Corvette 3 May 2nd 08 11:58 PM
Dual Batteries Big Iron Jeep 8 March 25th 08 04:20 AM
Miata Batteries Jazz_Azz Mazda 7 January 5th 08 04:42 AM
Car Batteries. [email protected] Technology 0 March 19th 07 06:32 PM
97 SC2 Batteries HyperCube33 Saturn 3 September 15th 06 03:17 AM