Okay, now it's happened to me...

Old April 10th 05, 12:13 AM

Default Okay, now it's happened to me...

Please, nobody bother bitching to me about how this problem
has been covered here before. I know it has, as I remember
numerous threads on wacky Beamer climate control systems
misbehaving, but rather than hunting down the best thread
in the archive, I thought somebody could give me the quick
answer, considering how common this problem is.

It's my climate control. Starting today, this is what it was
doing: "Freezing" such that the motor speed and setting (as
to where to vent the air) froze in one mode, totally ignoring
my requesting other settings by pressing buttons, etc.; Switching
itself on and off whenever it felt like it; sometimes apparently
putting out cold AC air, sometimes heat, all without any input
from me; sometimes going completely dormant, doing nothing at all.
And sometimes the LED display would go dead as a doornail.
In other words, the thing is going wacky, and I don't know much
about electronic repair jobs. I've had that little resistor
go bad previously which would cause the blower motor to completely
become inop, but never this wacky ****. I was just in a dealership
last week for a $1700 job that I paid them nothing for (cat.
replacement)
and the suspicious side of me wonders if someone may have tinkered
with something to cause problems after I told them I didn't want
any of their recommended work done (other than the cat. job).
Any ideas, or am I gonna have to go searching the archives?
Thanks to anyone for good feedback.

--
Cliff

Old April 11th 05, 08:52 PM

Mark Mentovai wrote:

> I did have good feedback.

Indeed you did my little friend. I meant to post yesterday,
but didn't get around to it. The solution presented at
the site you gave the link for hit the bullseye.

For anyone who has an E36 with a climate control that
suddenly goes ape****, remember that link. All the pictures
may not come in, but it's pretty clear nonetheless. I replaced
and soldered in the new capacitor in question yesterday ($1.19
plus tax at Radio Shack), and there's been no problems whatsoever
since, after a long test period.

--
Cliff