78mm crank?

Old July 29th 08, 07:07 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
Anthony W

Default 78mm crank?

any recommendations on where to get a good 78mm crank. The one at
Aircooled.net is rather expensive and I'm not yet convinced that I need
to spend that much.

Tony
Old July 29th 08, 06:41 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
Joey Tribiani

"Anthony W" > wrote in message
> any recommendations on where to get a good 78mm crank. The one at
> Aircooled.net is rather expensive and I'm not yet convinced that I need to
> spend that much.
>
> Tony

is your heart set on a 78?

I hear good things about DPR welded cranks...

john has the bugpack(4340 chromoly) for 300....
CBPerformance has their super race crank(4340 chromoly) for 290
CB has their 4140 chromoly in 76 and 74 for 180...

Old July 29th 08, 06:51 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
AircooledJohn

we carry 3 different 78mm cranks. The Flanged one is like $1400
(totally overpriced IMO), but we have a 4340 crank for $300, and a
precision welded crank for $450 (it specs out nuts on, that's why they
cost more).

http://www.aircooled.net/new-bin/vie...yword2=pos0004

I strongly suggest you stay away from the 4140 cranks.

John
Aircooled.Net Inc.
Old July 29th 08, 07:06 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
Joey Tribiani

"Joey Tribiani" > wrote in message

> "Anthony W" > wrote in message
>> any recommendations on where to get a good 78mm crank. The one at
>> Aircooled.net is rather expensive and I'm not yet convinced that I need
>> to spend that much.
>>
>> Tony

> is your heart set on a 78?
>
> I hear good things about DPR welded cranks...
>
> john has the bugpack(4340 chromoly) for 300....
> CBPerformance has their super race crank(4340 chromoly) for 290
> CB has their 4140 chromoly in 76 and 74 for 180...

to add to my own response, i've read(I.E. no personal experience) that the
4340 cranks sold by Darren at DRD are really good cranks and a heck of a
deal.... 230 bucks
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifie....php?id=310738

Old July 29th 08, 07:13 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
Joey Tribiani

"AircooledJohn" > wrote in message

> I strongly suggest you stay away from the 4140 cranks.
>
> John
> Aircooled.Net Inc.

John...good to hear from you... never heard too much about the 4140's
longevity or performance... can you give us some insight? there were folks
on other forums that bought them and promised reports back about quality of
machinework, performance, etc... never heard back...

good information from someone with the knowledge of parts and your
experience would be great for all of us...
[/asskissing] <G>

Old July 29th 08, 11:38 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
Anthony W

Joey Tribiani wrote:
> is your heart set on a 78?
>
> I hear good things about DPR welded cranks...
>
> john has the bugpack(4340 chromoly) for 300....
> CBPerformance has their super race crank(4340 chromoly) for 290
> CB has their 4140 chromoly in 76 and 74 for 180...

78 mm is as far as I can go without too much bottom end work or I would
go 80mm. I'll have to check again but the forged cranks I saw on John's
site were all around $600. I would like to explore all my options
before spending that much...

Tony

Old July 29th 08, 11:43 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
Anthony W

AircooledJohn wrote:
> we carry 3 different 78mm cranks. The Flanged one is like $1400
> (totally overpriced IMO), but we have a 4340 crank for $300, and a
> precision welded crank for $450 (it specs out nuts on, that's why they
> cost more).
>
> http://www.aircooled.net/new-bin/vie...yword2=pos0004
>
> I strongly suggest you stay away from the 4140 cranks.
>
> John
> Aircooled.Net Inc.

Thanks John, I must have missed the welded crank when I was looking over
your site last night. So far this sounds like my best option. I'm
building a low RPM high torque engine and I should be able to get away
with stock con-rods.

I was also looking at that torquer Web cams you carry, do they produce
more torque than a stock cam?

BTW, it's good to see you posting again. Take care.

Tony
Old July 30th 08, 12:28 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
Joey Tribiani

"Anthony W" > wrote in message
> Joey Tribiani wrote:
>> is your heart set on a 78?
>>
>> I hear good things about DPR welded cranks...
>>
>> john has the bugpack(4340 chromoly) for 300....
>> CBPerformance has their super race crank(4340 chromoly) for 290
>> CB has their 4140 chromoly in 76 and 74 for 180...

> 78 mm is as far as I can go without too much bottom end work or I would go
> 80mm. I'll have to check again but the forged cranks I saw on John's site
> were all around $600. I would like to explore all my options before
> spending that much...
>
> Tony

bugpack 4340:
http://aircooled.net/new-bin/viewpro... 200876674484

Old July 31st 08, 06:13 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
AircooledJohn

my recommendation is a 82mm 4340 crank with 5.4" H-beam rods. It's
easier to build than a 78 IMO.

John
Aircooled.Net Inc.
Old August 2nd 08, 03:01 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
Anthony W

How so? Wouldn't the case have to be releived more for the extra 4mm of
stroke?

BTW, when you posted the link to the welded type one crank on your site
I was able to see it but I can't seem to browse to it from your home
page. Any idea what am I doing wrong?

Tony

AircooledJohn wrote:
> my recommendation is a 82mm 4340 crank with 5.4" H-beam rods. It's
> easier to build than a 78 IMO.
>
> John
> Aircooled.Net Inc.

'92 doesn't crank ~Mike Hollywood Mazda 9 October 18th 07 06:30 PM
window crank suds mcduff Technology 2 July 13th 07 08:52 PM
Integra Won't Crank Challenged Honda 22 November 30th 06 04:31 AM
94 Mustang GT will not crank buckeyes Ford Mustang 1 September 19th 05 05:22 AM
hot civic no crank [email protected] Honda 5 July 23rd 05 10:03 AM