rebuilding C.V. joints, put balls back in same place?

Old July 28th 08, 01:05 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
andy everett

Default rebuilding C.V. joints, put balls back in same place?

I have an 80 Vanagon and hope to go on a long trip. Having bought new CV
joint boots I thought it time to replace them.

?

When rebuilding constant velocity joints should one mark and identify
parts so they all go back where they came from. This would add extra
labor so is it worth it or even necessary?

Thank you for any help.
Old July 28th 08, 09:08 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
Tricky

andy everett wrote:
> I have an 80 Vanagon and hope to go on a long trip. Having bought new CV
> joint boots I thought it time to replace them.
>
> ?
>
> When rebuilding constant velocity joints should one mark and identify
> parts so they all go back where they came from. This would add extra
> labor so is it worth it or even necessary?
>
> Thank you for any help.

No need

if they are worn - bin them

if not just put them back together.

Just be aware that they will go back together 2 ways. One will work,
the other will not. it will lock solid so you will be able to tell !

You'll see when you have a play with them
Old August 10th 08, 05:08 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
Jim Adney

>andy everett wrote:

>> When rebuilding constant velocity joints should one mark and identify
>> parts so they all go back where they came from. This would add extra
>> labor so is it worth it or even necessary?

Just don't mix parts between different CV joints.

-
Jim Adney
Madison, WI 53711 USA

u-joints and ball joints on 93 cherokee sport breton Jeep 14 April 27th 07 11:58 PM
I WILL KICK YOU IN THE BALLS AND THEN WHIP YOUR ASS..................u hepa Car Show Photos 0 March 2nd 07 06:48 PM
offset balls joints jeep wrangler 2001 [email protected] Jeep 1 January 12th 07 04:19 AM
Scum balls Padraig Auto Photos 5 December 7th 06 01:28 PM
hair balls? Anabella VW air cooled 9 March 13th 05 01:43 PM