76 Difficult Cold Starts

Old September 2nd 04, 05:18 AM
daveo76

Default 76 Difficult Cold Starts

My relatively stock, L48 '76 is getting more difficult to cold start.
I'm probably up to 10 seconds of total cranking time for most
overnight cold starts. It starts fine after sitting all day at work
and it also starts great hot. The choke appears to be working fine.
I've recently replaced the fuel filter, plugs, wires, cap, rotor, --
all the normal tune-up parts. While replacing the fuel filter I
cranked it for a sec. to clear the line and check flow. Fuel was
pumped out immediately, but do I need to check fuel pressure to rule
out the pump? Can you rent fuel pressure gages from an auto parts
store? Any thing else I should check?
Old September 2nd 04, 01:21 PM
Fred

This is fairly common problem. If the car sits for a day or more, the fuel
in the carb bowl may evaporate, or if your fuel filter is not the type with
a built-in check-valve, a certain amount of fuel simply drains back down
into the fuel line. So when you go to start it, there is not enough fuel
present at the carb until the mechanical fuel pump gets cranked enough times
to bring the fuel back. Swapping in a good electric pump eliminates this
trouble. But.... hmmm... just re-read your post... 10 whole seconds of
cranking is too long in any case. It usually only takes maybe 3 or 4
seconds of cranking max to fill a carb bowl. What is your starting
procedure? With all my old GM Q-jet cars, I will first press the pedal down
about 3 times, then crank the engine for no more than 3 seconds. If it does
not start, press the pedal down another 3 times, then crank again for
another 3 seconds. And repeat this process until it starts. (Never just
crank it for a whole 10 seconds straight.) Even if the car hasn't been used
in over a week, it usually takes only 3 of these cycles max to get it going.
It is important to pump the pedal so the accelerator pump squirts fuel down
into the intake. Hopefully your accelerator pump is working ok... when was
the last time your carb was overhauled? Well, if the accel pump was shot
you'd experience a hesitation when accelerating. You can test the accel
pump (with engine off) by looking down into the carb (primaries), then flip
the throttle wide open, you should see two streams of fuel squirt down the
carb throat. If not, you either have no fuel in the bowl or the pump is
shot. Is the engine running fine otherwise? No vacuum leaks, etc? But...
back to the fuel filter... you did mention that you replaced it recently.
I've seen later model filters with built-in "check valves" which are
supposedly designed to keep fuel from draining out of the carb bowl. I am
personally not sure if these little plastic check valves really work, but...
did the filter you pull out have the check valve? Did the filter you put
back in have the check valve? Maybe the check valve does make a difference.
As far as fuel pressure (condition of fuel pump)... probably not the
problem. If the pump was bad, you'd have starvation problems while driving,
etc. As for renting a fuel pressure gauge, they are cheap enough to just
buy at your local auto parts store. Often you can get a combo vacuum gauge
/ fuel pump pressure gauge... good to have in your tool kit, probably less
than $50. Remember that fuel volume is just as important if not more
important than fuel pressure... you can do a fuel volume test without a
pressure gauge. The procedure and specs are usually listed in most repair
manuals, easy to do.

------------------

om...

Old September 2nd 04, 01:21 PM
Fred

[...]

om...

Old September 2nd 04, 03:58 PM
Mike

In > , "Fred" > writes:
>This is fairly common problem. If the car sits for a day or more, the fuel
>in the carb bowl may evaporate, or if your fuel filter is not the type with
>a built-in check-valve, a certain amount of fuel simply drains back down
>into the fuel line. So when you go to start it, there is not enough fuel
>present at the carb until the mechanical fuel pump gets cranked enough times
>to bring the fuel back. Swapping in a good electric pump eliminates this
>trouble. But.... hmmm... just re-read your post... 10 whole seconds of
>cranking is too long in any case. It usually only takes maybe 3 or 4
>seconds of cranking max to fill a carb bowl. What is your starting
>procedure? With all my old GM Q-jet cars, I will first press the pedal down
>about 3 times, then crank the engine for no more than 3 seconds. If it does
>not start, press the pedal down another 3 times, then crank again for
>another 3 seconds. And repeat this process until it starts. (Never just
>crank it for a whole 10 seconds straight.) Even if the car hasn't been used
>in over a week, it usually takes only 3 of these cycles max to get it going.
>It is important to pump the pedal so the accelerator pump squirts fuel down
>into the intake. Hopefully your accelerator pump is working ok... when was
>the last time your carb was overhauled? Well, if the accel pump was shot
>you'd experience a hesitation when accelerating. You can test the accel
>pump (with engine off) by looking down into the carb (primaries), then flip
>the throttle wide open, you should see two streams of fuel squirt down the
>carb throat. If not, you either have no fuel in the bowl or the pump is
>shot. Is the engine running fine otherwise? No vacuum leaks, etc? But...
>back to the fuel filter... you did mention that you replaced it recently.
>I've seen later model filters with built-in "check valves" which are
>supposedly designed to keep fuel from draining out of the carb bowl. I am
>personally not sure if these little plastic check valves really work, but...
>did the filter you pull out have the check valve? Did the filter you put
>back in have the check valve? Maybe the check valve does make a difference.
>As far as fuel pressure (condition of fuel pump)... probably not the
>problem. If the pump was bad, you'd have starvation problems while driving,
>etc. As for renting a fuel pressure gauge, they are cheap enough to just
>buy at your local auto parts store. Often you can get a combo vacuum gauge
>/ fuel pump pressure gauge... good to have in your tool kit, probably less
>than $50. Remember that fuel volume is just as important if not more
>important than fuel pressure... you can do a fuel volume test without a
>pressure gauge. The procedure and specs are usually listed in most repair
>manuals, easy to do.
>
>------------------
>
>"daveo76" > wrote in message
. com...
>> My relatively stock, L48 '76 is getting more difficult to cold start.
>> I'm probably up to 10 seconds of total cranking time for most
>> overnight cold starts. It starts fine after sitting all day at work
>> and it also starts great hot. The choke appears to be working fine.
>> I've recently replaced the fuel filter, plugs, wires, cap, rotor, --
>> all the normal tune-up parts. While replacing the fuel filter I
>> cranked it for a sec. to clear the line and check flow. Fuel was
>> pumped out immediately, but do I need to check fuel pressure to rule
>> out the pump? Can you rent fuel pressure gages from an auto parts
>> store? Any thing else I should check?

Agree on the fuel as a first look. If that doesn't work, pull
a plug wire and make sure you've got a very strong spark
while cranking. If there's any doubt, have the module in the
HEI checked (parts counter can do this) or just replace it
outright. I had starting issues with a '79 350 and a new module
fixed it. Old module was working fine at 12-14 volts but had
problems at low cranking voltages. Make sure any replacement
module is for early HEI and not the later EST or ECM ignition
systems. (IIRC this is identified by color code--haven't checked
the book but I think that the modules for ECM engines have different
number of connections.)

On your way past the rotor and down to the module, check for
red oxide (from the advance mechanicals) and clean that out. If
you decide to pull the distributor and don't have a timing light,
accurately mark things to restore ignition timing. Check for a clean
helix that carries oil up the distributor shaft to the bearing. After
a few years, helix gets dirty, bearing doesn't get oil...etc.

Hope this helps.... "Mike"
-- mikeellison3xxxatzzzyahoo.com --

Old September 2nd 04, 03:58 PM
Mike

In > , "Fred" > writes:
>This is fairly common problem. If the car sits for a day or more, the fuel
>in the carb bowl may evaporate, or if your fuel filter is not the type with
>a built-in check-valve, a certain amount of fuel simply drains back down
>into the fuel line. So when you go to start it, there is not enough fuel
>present at the carb until the mechanical fuel pump gets cranked enough times
>to bring the fuel back. Swapping in a good electric pump eliminates this
>trouble. But.... hmmm... just re-read your post... 10 whole seconds of
>cranking is too long in any case. It usually only takes maybe 3 or 4
>seconds of cranking max to fill a carb bowl. What is your starting
>procedure? With all my old GM Q-jet cars, I will first press the pedal down
>about 3 times, then crank the engine for no more than 3 seconds. If it does
>not start, press the pedal down another 3 times, then crank again for
>another 3 seconds. And repeat this process until it starts. (Never just
>crank it for a whole 10 seconds straight.) Even if the car hasn't been used
>in over a week, it usually takes only 3 of these cycles max to get it going.
>It is important to pump the pedal so the accelerator pump squirts fuel down
>into the intake. Hopefully your accelerator pump is working ok... when was
>the last time your carb was overhauled? Well, if the accel pump was shot
>you'd experience a hesitation when accelerating. You can test the accel
>pump (with engine off) by looking down into the carb (primaries), then flip
>the throttle wide open, you should see two streams of fuel squirt down the
>carb throat. If not, you either have no fuel in the bowl or the pump is
>shot. Is the engine running fine otherwise? No vacuum leaks, etc? But...
>back to the fuel filter... you did mention that you replaced it recently.
>I've seen later model filters with built-in "check valves" which are
>supposedly designed to keep fuel from draining out of the carb bowl. I am
>personally not sure if these little plastic check valves really work, but...
>did the filter you pull out have the check valve? Did the filter you put
>back in have the check valve? Maybe the check valve does make a difference.
>As far as fuel pressure (condition of fuel pump)... probably not the
>problem. If the pump was bad, you'd have starvation problems while driving,
>etc. As for renting a fuel pressure gauge, they are cheap enough to just
>buy at your local auto parts store. Often you can get a combo vacuum gauge
>/ fuel pump pressure gauge... good to have in your tool kit, probably less
>than $50. Remember that fuel volume is just as important if not more
>important than fuel pressure... you can do a fuel volume test without a
>pressure gauge. The procedure and specs are usually listed in most repair
>manuals, easy to do.
>
>------------------

. com...

Old September 3rd 04, 06:31 AM
daveo76

"Mike" > wrote in message news:<HyGZc.83$aW5.53@fed1read07>...
> [...]

> HEI checked (parts counter can do this) or just replace it
> outright. I had starting issues with a '79 350 and a new module
> fixed it. Old module was working fine at 12-14 volts but had
> problems at low cranking voltages. Make sure any replacement
> module is for early HEI and not the later EST or ECM ignition
> systems. (IIRC this is identified by color code--haven't checked
> the book but I think that the modules for ECM engines have different
> number of connections.)
>
> On your way past the rotor and down to the module, check for
> red oxide (from the advance mechanicals) and clean that out. If
> you decide to pull the distributor and don't have a timing light,
> accurately mark things to restore ignition timing. Check for a clean
> helix that carries oil up the distributor shaft to the bearing. After
> a few years, helix gets dirty, bearing doesn't get oil...etc.

Thanks for the detailed posts. I may not have as much of a problem as
I originally thought. I'm basically following the starting procedure
outlined by Fred. 2 or 3 pumps, crank for 3 (maybe up to 4 or 5)
seconds, and repeat until it starts. (I said 10 TOTAL seconds of
cranking) Takes up to 3 cycles, so maybe it's not so bad. I've not
done anything to the Q-Jet for the three years I've owned the car,
other than basic cleaning with carb cleaner. There are no other
indications that it needs a rebuild. Idle is good, no problems with
accelerating, (although some stumbling when cold), relatively well
mannered. I'll definitely do some investigating about the accelerator
pump, but I don't think that's the problem. The fuel filter is a
basic Fram replacement, I didn't see anything that looked like a check
valve and it looked very similar to the one I pulled out. Is there
any benefit to removing the tiny in-carb filter and using a regular
inline filter instead (between pump and carb)?

Regarding HEI module - will an auto parts store that advertises free
diagnostics check this? Is it checked in-car?
Old September 3rd 04, 06:31 AM
daveo76

Old September 4th 04, 01:08 AM
tdodge

"daveo76" > wrote in message
om...
and..remember the old time ways...blip it as bit as you shut it off.
it fills up the bowls in the carb, and makes the next start easier.

Old September 4th 04, 01:08 AM
tdodge

Old September 4th 04, 03:40 AM
john smith

YOur 76 has a Quadrajet or Quadrajunk or whatever you want to call it.
The main metering wells are leaking since the solder plugs that colse
the drilled ports have gotten loose. Take the carburetor off and buy a
rebuild kit that has the foam plug that you can install between the
throttle plate and the bowl. This will cure the hard start problem.
You see, the problem is the gas drips out of the main float bowl until
it is all gone and you end up cranking it for an extended period of time
to fill the bowl back up. Do not get arebuilt carb as you know how
yours works and the rebuilds are trash. It is easier to get a kit for
yours and install the foam block between the bowl and throttle plate.

daveo76 wrote:

> My relatively stock, L48 '76 is getting more difficult to cold start.
> I'm probably up to 10 seconds of total cranking time for most
> overnight cold starts. It starts fine after sitting all day at work
> and it also starts great hot. The choke appears to be working fine.
> I've recently replaced the fuel filter, plugs, wires, cap, rotor, --
> all the normal tune-up parts. While replacing the fuel filter I
> cranked it for a sec. to clear the line and check flow. Fuel was
> pumped out immediately, but do I need to check fuel pressure to rule
> out the pump? Can you rent fuel pressure gages from an auto parts
> store? Any thing else I should check?

Noisy in cold weather for short time Graham Audi 11 December 8th 04 05:03 PM
Noisy in cold weather for short time Graham BMW 11 December 8th 04 05:03 PM
Cold weather Tucker BMW 8 December 7th 04 12:33 AM
replaced thermostat - still cold Jamie Fisher BMW 5 December 6th 04 01:42 PM
Problem running 1997 A4 TDi from cold dan Audi 1 October 24th 04 09:42 AM