Parts

Old July 15th 08, 09:46 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
Jerry - OHIO

Default Parts

WOW I love this group !!
I bought a trike that has a 68 1500 single port engine on it that has
some ( bugs ) in it. I live in north east Ohio and need some gaskets and
seals .
Biggest problem is it wont idle unless the choke is kept on and the idle
is real high,I think the gaskets on the intake at the heads are bad & I
did find the nuts on the flanges loose.
Do you guys have a good source for parts ?
I bought a rebuilt carb at US AUTOMOTIVE auto parts but the kid at the
counter couldn't find any listing for any other parts on his computer.

Old July 15th 08, 10:56 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
P.J.Berg[_3_]

On Tue, 15 Jul 2008 22:46:57 +0200, Jerry - OHIO >
wrote:

> WOW I love this group !!
> I bought a trike that has a 68 1500 single port engine on it that has
> some ( bugs ) in it. I live in north east Ohio and need some gaskets and
> seals .
> Biggest problem is it wont idle unless the choke is kept on and the idle
> is real high,I think the gaskets on the intake at the heads are bad & I
> did find the nuts on the flanges loose.
> Do you guys have a good source for parts ?
> I bought a rebuilt carb at US AUTOMOTIVE auto parts but the kid at the
> counter couldn't find any listing for any other parts on his computer.

One of the more serious retailers of aircooled Vw parts left:
www.aircooled.net
Not the cheapest, but one of the best.

Manifoild to head gaskets you can easily make yourself, get hold of a
sheet of gasket material of some thickness, trace outer pattern, use a
small ball point hammer to trace the inner dia. cut as needed.

J.

Old July 15th 08, 11:16 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
Project Magnet #1

Jerry - OHIO wrote:
> WOW I love this group !!
> I bought a trike that has a 68 1500 single port engine on it that has
> some ( bugs ) in it. I live in north east Ohio and need some gaskets and
> seals .
> Biggest problem is it wont idle unless the choke is kept on and the idle
> is real high,I think the gaskets on the intake at the heads are bad & I
> did find the nuts on the flanges loose.
> Do you guys have a good source for parts ?
> I bought a rebuilt carb at US AUTOMOTIVE auto parts but the kid at the
> counter couldn't find any listing for any other parts on his computer.

I've been buying most of my parts locally, but the shop I use does mail
order. I think they do more mail order than over the counter.

http://bughaus.com/

Great place to deal with, good prices, and good quality parts.

As far as the no idling, sounds like the idle jet may be plugged. Very
common if it sits any length of time.

Les
Old July 16th 08, 11:09 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
John[_28_]

I thought only sad old buggers like me made their own gaskets anymore!. If
you make manifold to head ones get a higher temperature type of gasket
material. I used what looked like a thick brown paper, lasted for a few
weeks then turned into a pile of black dust. Used a higher temp grade, been
there for 5-6 years thereabouts ( sad old buggers also loose their memory).
Oz John

Old July 16th 08, 01:12 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
Project Magnet #1

John wrote:
> I thought only sad old buggers like me made their own gaskets anymore!. If
> you make manifold to head ones get a higher temperature type of gasket
> material. I used what looked like a thick brown paper, lasted for a few
> weeks then turned into a pile of black dust. Used a higher temp grade, been
> there for 5-6 years thereabouts ( sad old buggers also loose their memory).
> Oz John

Far from it. I've made them for my VW, as well as a replacement for the
float bowl on my '70 Triumph.

For the VW, I'd just buy the gaskets. They're cheap, and the intake
gaskets are metal. A complete gasket set is very little money.

Les
Old July 16th 08, 04:22 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
Anthony W

John wrote:
> I thought only sad old buggers like me made their own gaskets anymore!. If
> you make manifold to head ones get a higher temperature type of gasket
> material. I used what looked like a thick brown paper, lasted for a few
> weeks then turned into a pile of black dust. Used a higher temp grade, been
> there for 5-6 years thereabouts ( sad old buggers also loose their memory).
> Oz John

I guess I resemble that remark. I don't make VW gaskets because they're
available local for cheap. We're blessed with good VW parts places here
in NW Oregon.

On the other hand I make gaskets for 30 year old Japanese motorcycles
since if I can find the individual gasket I need, it's rather expensive.
Other than valve cover gaskets, most of the ones I would need for my
Yamaha are only available in a full set. Likewise I ended up making a
front case gasket for a CX500 Honda because I couldn't order one...

Tony
Old July 16th 08, 05:18 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
Bill Spiliotopoulos

The idle problem is 99% due to the idle circuit in the carb being blocked or
the electromagnetic solenoid not working.
You need to get the carb cleaned first, before changing any gaskets.

Regards,
Bill Spiliotopoulos,
'67 Bug.

Old July 16th 08, 08:15 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
Jerry - OHIO

Default Parts Les & Bill

I replaced carb with a rebuilt and it made no differance ,it is possible
I got a bad one but I keep thinking about those loose flange bolts that
I tightened with out paying attention when I snugged them down.This carb
doesn't have an idol solenoid.

Jerry

Old July 17th 08, 10:33 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
John[_28_]

Thats an interesting comment. The bloke I get my parts from ( an old VW man
for 35 years) mentioned that Beetles tended to use a "material"
head/manifold gasket but the T3,s used the metal ones. (I may have that
reversed, you know what I mean!) . Always seemed to me to be too darn hot
for a non metallic item. Though as I mentioned a high temp material one
seems to be holding up well in my trusty Squareback ( Stationwagons over
here).
Interesting with parts as well. I,m about 50 miles from Sydney and its
quicker/cheaper for me to buy parts from the usual suppliers in the States
than to get parts from Sydney. Enjoy looking at the online catalogues where
shear weight prohibits sending them over. I suspect my Missus thinks I sit
in here looking up less honourable sites!!!!
Oz John

Old July 20th 08, 01:31 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
John[_45_]

John wrote:
> I thought only sad old buggers like me made their own gaskets
> anymore!

Nope. I'm another sad olde pharte who has no choice. I've got to rebuild
the Kadrons because some moron used some kind of goopy **** and there's
little balls of the crap in the passageways and it seeped in from where
a gasket alone would have worked. Plus the float in one is crushed.

Except for the bottom gaskets, which I already made, the rest are paper
thin. Not sure how to proceed. Neither are the NAPA guys. But I can
probably screw up a dozen times before the backorder is filled, so why
not try? Honest, I feel like I'm rebuilding an antique in Cuba.