help identifying the year of a photo

Old August 6th 07, 06:17 AM posted to rec.autos.antique

Default help identifying the year of a photo

I am trying to date a photo. I know the boat was built in the late
1930's but the person who gave me the photo said it was taken in
1949. I don't believe the boat was in the area during the late 1940's
but I could be wrong.

Unfortunately I don't know a lot about antique cars. Can someone
please tell me the year of the cars in these two photos. If I know
the year of the newest vehicle in the photos I can narrow down the
year
thanks
http://picasaweb.google.com/DaveHV/ShepherdBoats

Old August 6th 07, 02:03 PM posted to rec.autos.antique
Otto Skorzeny

Hi Dave,

Would it be possible to scan these at a higher resolution? That would
help a lot. The newest cars appear to be the two white ones in the
photo with the boat 12-D. They appear to be Ford Sedans. The last
prewar Fords were almost identical to the first postwar Fords. With
higher resolution it may be possible to identify them more accurately.

My gut says the first one in line is a 1941 Ford Fordor sedan.

The other photo with the most cars is a little more difficult at this
resolution to identify the newest vehicles. Most of the cars in the
picture are early '30's. Some are late '20s. The newest one seems to
be the big black one in the center. It looks like a late '30's or
early '40's sedan. I can't identify the exact year and model at this
resolution.

I can tell you that there are no 1949 models in either photo - at
least none that I could see.

Forrest

Old August 6th 07, 03:46 PM posted to rec.autos.antique

thanks Forest

I have put larger files on that website. Hopefully you can see a
difference

Dave
http://picasaweb.google.com/DaveHV/ShepherdBoats

Old August 6th 07, 04:37 PM posted to rec.autos.antique
Otto Skorzeny

Hi Dave,

The higher resolution helps a lot. I'm more sure that the white sedan
in the photo with 12-D is in fact a 1941 Ford. The lack of chrome on
the fenders and the turn signal on top of the front fender identifies
it as a prewar Ford rather than a post war model. The bodies were
almost identical with minor differences in trim.

Although I can't positively identifiy the black sedan in the other
photo, I can say that there are know post war cars that I can see. The
shape of the headlights on the black one indicate that it is no later
than a 1939 or 1940 model. Sealed beam headlights appeared in 1941and
were standard on most if not all vehicles. Those on this car do not
appear to be round sealed beams but rather slanted ovals found on Ford
products.

GM used round lights on stalks up to 1941 when they switched to built
in sealed beams.

After WWII Americans began buying new cars at unprecedented rates. Car
makers could not build enough to meet the demand. By 1949, when these
pictures were supposed to have been taken, manufacturers had begun
catching up with demand and entirely new models were being introduced
instead of warmed over pre-war designs.

The complete lack of any post war models or any cars that even vaguely
look like 1946-1949 cars leads me to believe that this photo was taken
before or during the war.

The 1941 Ford sets a "no earlier than" date (late 1940). Since no cars
were produced during WWII, this picture could have been taken as late
as 1945 or 1946.

I hope this helps you. Others may be better able to identify various
cars but the two that can be most clearly seen are definitely pre-war.

Forrest

Old August 6th 07, 05:07 PM posted to rec.autos.antique
Otto Skorzeny

I forgot to ask, Dave, What's the story on those speedboats. Do you
own one of them or something? Is that 12-D one homemade? The other one
looks like a Chris Craft or similar wood speedboat. Where were the
pictures taken?
Forrest

Old August 6th 07, 07:12 PM posted to rec.autos.antique

I am doing research on Shepherd Boats. My grandfather owned the
company and they built that speedboat in 1939 (I am told)

the pictures were taken in Niagara-on-the-Lake, Canada. About 20
minutes from Niagara Falls
If you look on the bottom left of the photo album it shows the
location of where the photos were taken (see Album Location)

thank you very much for your help
Dave

Old August 6th 07, 10:16 PM posted to rec.autos.antique
Stude

On Aug 6, 8:37 am, Otto Skorzeny > wrote:
> Hi Dave,
>
> The higher resolution helps a lot. I'm more sure that the white sedan
> in the photo with 12-D is in fact a 1941 Ford. The lack of chrome on
> the fenders and the turn signal on top of the front fender identifies
> it as a prewar Ford rather than a post war model. The bodies were
> almost identical with minor differences in trim.
>
> Although I can't positively identifiy the black sedan in the other
> photo, I can say that there are know post war cars that I can see. The
> shape of the headlights on the black one indicate that it is no later
> than a 1939 or 1940 model. Sealed beam headlights appeared in 1941and
> were standard on most if not all vehicles. Those on this car do not
> appear to be round sealed beams but rather slanted ovals found on Ford
> products.
>
> GM used round lights on stalks up to 1941 when they switched to built
> in sealed beams.
>
> After WWII Americans began buying new cars at unprecedented rates. Car
> makers could not build enough to meet the demand. By 1949, when these
> pictures were supposed to have been taken, manufacturers had begun
> catching up with demand and entirely new models were being introduced
> instead of warmed over pre-war designs.
>
> The complete lack of any post war models or any cars that even vaguely
> look like 1946-1949 cars leads me to believe that this photo was taken
> before or during the war.
>
> The 1941 Ford sets a "no earlier than" date (late 1940). Since no cars
> were produced during WWII, this picture could have been taken as late
> as 1945 or 1946.
>
> I hope this helps you. Others may be better able to identify various
> cars but the two that can be most clearly seen are definitely pre-war.
>
> Forrest

Sealed-beams shiowed up on the 1940 Ford, which was very close looking
to the 1939. The 1941 through '48 looked pretty much the same.

Old August 7th 07, 03:11 AM posted to rec.autos.antique
George Patterson

wrote:

> Unfortunately I don't know a lot about antique cars. Can someone
> please tell me the year of the cars in these two photos. If I know
> the year of the newest vehicle in the photos I can narrow down the
> year
> thanks

http://picasaweb.google.com/DaveHV/ShepherdBoats

The white car beside the pole in the first photo appears to be a Ford 4-door
sedan from the late '40s. The one right behind it looks like it's the same
thing. Unfortunately for you, Ford did not change the styling much from 1946
through 1948, and it's impossible to tell which year it is from this photo. This
close after the war, there was a waiting list for new cars, so any car your see
in that lot is likely to be at least 2 years old. I'd say it's likely your
friend is telling you the truth. Mt take is that those are '46, '47, or '48 Fords.

George Patterson
If you torture the data long enough, eventually it will confess
to anything.
Old August 7th 07, 03:15 AM posted to rec.autos.antique
George Patterson

Otto Skorzeny wrote:

> My gut says the first one in line is a 1941 Ford Fordor sedan.

The second one may be, but the hood line on the first one is too low, and the
front fender appears to be squared off too much for a '41. Hard to tell, but it
also looks like there's no divider in the back window. The back window also
looks a bit too large for a '41. My take is '46 or later.

Definitely no '49s in there.

Old August 7th 07, 03:28 AM posted to rec.autos.antique
George Patterson

Otto Skorzeny wrote:

> The higher resolution helps a lot. I'm more sure that the white sedan
> in the photo with 12-D is in fact a 1941 Ford. The lack of chrome on
> the fenders and the turn signal on top of the front fender identifies
> it as a prewar Ford rather than a post war model.

I see no turn signal, but if there is one, it's an aftermarket accessory, and
the location wouldn't be indicative. I'm not sure when Ford started putting
signals on, but they were not available from the factory when my father bought
his 1950 Ford.