Underpowered PCs cause understeer.

Old October 24th 04, 01:11 AM
EldredP

Default Underpowered PCs cause understeer.

In article >, "Richard S Beckett"
> writes:

>If your PC doesn't have the power to run the sim at a 'decent' frame rate,
>then the car will generally understeer.
>
>I don't know why, but it's been true for every sim I have had.

I know this is a late reply(I've been dead<g>), but that's a very interesting
observation. I'll have to test that out...

Eldred
--
http://www.umich.edu/~epickett
Screamers League
Old October 25th 04, 01:38 PM
Richard S Beckett

"EldredP" -OFF> wrote

> I know this is a late reply(I've been dead<g>), but that's a very

interesting
> observation. I'll have to test that out...

Have you been dead for tax purposes? ;-)

R.

Old October 25th 04, 06:21 PM
Dave Henrie

"Richard S Beckett" > wrote in news:clis9v$k0h$1
@newshost.mot.com:

> Have you been dead for tax purposes? ;-)
>
> R.

Did you miss that? Poor Eldred was pronounced D-E-A-D by one of our
rabble-rousers. Of course, since it was printed on the internet it must
be true and I am jussst a little suspicious of the suposedly dead Eldred
continues to make postings from the great beyond.

dave henrie
Old October 25th 04, 07:11 PM
Greg Campbell

Dave Henrie wrote:

> "Richard S Beckett"

>>Have you been dead for tax purposes? ;-)

> Did you miss that? Poor Eldred was pronounced D-E-A-D by one of our
> rabble-rousers. Of course, since it was printed on the internet it must
> be true and I am jussst a little suspicious of the suposedly dead Eldred
> continues to make postings from the great beyond.

Rosabel, believe!

-Greg
Old October 25th 04, 09:45 PM
Biz

"Richard S Beckett" > wrote in message
> Guys,
>
> I have been sim racing for many years now, right back to the days of F1GP

on
> an Atari ST.
>
> I have had many PCs, and as I have upgraded them, I have noticed one very
> special thing about the way sims behave...
>
> If your PC doesn't have the power to run the sim at a 'decent' frame rate,
> then the car will generally understeer.

Actually if you PC is underpowered for teh sim you are trying to use, you
will see controller lag, sometimes severely, period. Depending on how you
then react or over-react to that lag, you can create understeer or
oversteer.

The advice you have given about making sure your PC is up to the task so you
dont see controller lag issues, is solid. Anyone trying to say a sim doesnt
have realistic feel when his PC isnt up to the task of properly running the
sim in the 1st place has absolutely no business making any kind of comment
to that aspect or most likely any other aspect of the sim. but this is
usenet, so I dont expect that to improve any.

Old October 25th 04, 11:57 PM
alexti

Dave Henrie > wrote in
. 97.136:

<snip>
> Did you miss that? Poor Eldred was pronounced D-E-A-D by one of
> our
> rabble-rousers. Of course, since it was printed on the internet it
> must be true and I am jussst a little suspicious of the suposedly dead
> Eldred continues to make postings from the great beyond.

Surely they have internet access in paradise by now?

Alex.