Towing capacity

Old August 7th 08, 10:44 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
george taylor

Default Towing capacity

Does any one know what the towing capacity was/is for a split bus? I might
be putting in a 1600 into it if that makes a difference.

Old August 7th 08, 11:54 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
Robert[_12_]

On Aug 7, 3:44*pm, "george taylor" >
wrote:
> Does any one know what the towing capacity was/is for a split bus? I might
> be putting in a 1600 into it if that makes a difference.

I have routinely towed a Harbor Freight folding trailer when I moved.
Each trip was 165 miles. I have never weighed the trailer loaded but
I am guessing it was close to the maximum weight of 1000#. I built my
own towing reciever using the bumper mount brackets as a guide. I
made it a point to never load the tongue with more than 70#. I have a
'67 bus with a 1776cc and two barrel carb. I towed at a maximum of
65mph and pulled it over the summit on I-80 between Larramie and
Cheyenne with no problem but had to slow to 45 mph.
Old August 8th 08, 02:21 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
Bob Hoover

> On Aug 7, 3:44 pm, "george taylor" >
> wrote:
>
> > Does any one know what the towing capacity was/is for a split bus? I might
> > be putting in a 1600 into it if that makes a difference.

>----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Dear George,

The towing capacity of any vehicle is determined by its ability to
STOP and is usually defined by the vehicle's gross laden weight. For
an early Transporter your max would be about 800 lbs, for later models
-- especailly those having disk brakes -- the max is about 1200.

Using a trailer having its own braking system changes all that.

Tongue-weight reflects the ability of the prime mover to steer the
tailer and is usually kept fairly low.

As a point of interest, the early bus with its outboard gear boxes
makes an excellent prime mover.

In my opinion, here in California the best tow-bar package for the
early bus was the dealer-installed option that tied the hitch to the
rear axle housing and supported the tow-bar/hitch with a pair of
diagonal struts that connected the bumper brackets to the ceiling of
the engine compartment, which was re-enforced by a large plate.

-Bob Hoover

dodge caravan towing capacity Bob Mitchell Dodge 1 October 31st 06 04:46 PM
Towing capacity [email protected] Chrysler 1 May 1st 06 09:13 PM
1995 dakota towing capacity... John S. Technology 2 October 25th 05 03:20 PM
TJ towing capacity Patrick Jeep 46 July 26th 05 07:27 AM
towing capacity mrdenial Ford Explorer 3 January 18th 05 02:19 AM