home bodywork/paint/rust protection question

Old October 25th 04, 10:23 PM
Charlie Self

Grumpy au Contraire responds:

>I would not drive a treasured car in any of these areas during foul
>weather. Best to get a beater to do that...

Yeah, I'm in central VA and everyone here does the same. I wanted to hit the
last cruise-in in my town so I could line up some winter and spring photography
for possible articles, and I blew it. I didn't realize it folded so early. Most
vehicles are indoors now until probably April ven though the motorcyclists are
still out and we haven't had our first frost, never mind hard freeze.

Charlie Self
"When we are planning for posterity, we ought to remember that virtue is not
hereditary." Thomas Paine
Old October 25th 04, 11:02 PM
Nate Nagel

Charlie Self wrote:

> Grumpy au Contraire responds:
>

>>I would not drive a treasured car in any of these areas during foul
>>weather. Best to get a beater to do that...

> Yeah, I'm in central VA and everyone here does the same. I wanted to hit the
> last cruise-in in my town so I could line up some winter and spring photography
> for possible articles, and I blew it. I didn't realize it folded so early. Most
> vehicles are indoors now until probably April ven though the motorcyclists are
> still out and we haven't had our first frost, never mind hard freeze.
>
> Charlie Self
> "When we are planning for posterity, we ought to remember that virtue is not
> hereditary." Thomas Paine

I live near DC and things are still going. Just went to a local show on
Saturday and there were tons of classics and high buck rods there. I
ended *my* driving season early by trashing the clutch in the '62, but
that's another story not exactly related to road salt.

nate

--
replace "fly" with "com" to reply.
http://home.comcast.net/~njnagel
Old October 26th 04, 01:10 AM
Grumpy au Contraire

Charlie Self wrote:

> Grumpy au Contraire responds:
>
> >I would not drive a treasured car in any of these areas during foul
> >weather. Best to get a beater to do that...

> Yeah, I'm in central VA and everyone here does the same. I wanted to hit the
> last cruise-in in my town so I could line up some winter and spring photography
> for possible articles, and I blew it. I didn't realize it folded so early. Most
> vehicles are indoors now until probably April ven though the motorcyclists are
> still out and we haven't had our first frost, never mind hard freeze.
>
> Charlie Self
> "When we are planning for posterity, we ought to remember that virtue is not
> hereditary." Thomas Paine

I noticed that some pictures taken in your neck of the woods this
weekend has most of the foliage already gone. Rain will do that and fast!

Of course, here in Austin we don't see foliage... The leaves just drop
of around the first of December and begin to come back out in late February..

--
JT

Just tooling through cyberspace in my ancient G4
Old October 26th 04, 01:11 AM
Grumpy au Contraire

Nate Nagel wrote:

> Charlie Self wrote:
>
> > Grumpy au Contraire responds:
> >

> >>I would not drive a treasured car in any of these areas during foul
> >>weather. Best to get a beater to do that...

> > Yeah, I'm in central VA and everyone here does the same. I wanted to hit the
> > last cruise-in in my town so I could line up some winter and spring photography
> > for possible articles, and I blew it. I didn't realize it folded so early. Most
> > vehicles are indoors now until probably April ven though the motorcyclists are
> > still out and we haven't had our first frost, never mind hard freeze.
> >
> > Charlie Self
> > "When we are planning for posterity, we ought to remember that virtue is not
> > hereditary." Thomas Paine

> I live near DC and things are still going. Just went to a local show on
> Saturday and there were tons of classics and high buck rods there. I
> ended *my* driving season early by trashing the clutch in the '62, but
> that's another story not exactly related to road salt.
>
> nate

Heavy foot, eh??

<GG>

Old October 26th 04, 01:29 AM
Nate Nagel

Grumpy au Contraire wrote:

> Nate Nagel wrote:
>
>>Charlie Self wrote:
>>

>>>Grumpy au Contraire responds:

>>>Yeah, I'm in central VA and everyone here does the same. I wanted to hit the
>>>last cruise-in in my town so I could line up some winter and spring photography
>>>for possible articles, and I blew it. I didn't realize it folded so early. Most
>>>vehicles are indoors now until probably April ven though the motorcyclists are
>>>still out and we haven't had our first frost, never mind hard freeze.
>>>
>>>Charlie Self
>>>"When we are planning for posterity, we ought to remember that virtue is not
>>>hereditary." Thomas Paine

>>I live near DC and things are still going. Just went to a local show on
>>Saturday and there were tons of classics and high buck rods there. I
>>ended *my* driving season early by trashing the clutch in the '62, but
>>that's another story not exactly related to road salt.
>>
>>nate
>>

> Heavy foot, eh??
>
> <GG>

Let's just say that it was the first time I had tested the ability of
the drivetrain to exceed the rear tires' traction limits since
installing a limited slip differential assembly. Initial test results
were promising, however, some repair work is needed before any more
tests can be conducted

nate

Old October 26th 04, 01:39 AM
Grumpy au Contraire

Nate Nagel wrote:

> Grumpy au Contraire wrote:
>

> > Nate Nagel wrote:

> >>I live near DC and things are still going. Just went to a local show on
> >>Saturday and there were tons of classics and high buck rods there. I
> >>ended *my* driving season early by trashing the clutch in the '62, but
> >>that's another story not exactly related to road salt.
> >>
> >>nate
> >>

> > Heavy foot, eh??
> >
> > <GG>
> >

> Let's just say that it was the first time I had tested the ability of
> the drivetrain to exceed the rear tires' traction limits since
> installing a limited slip differential assembly. Initial test results
> were promising, however, some repair work is needed before any more
> tests can be conducted
>
> nate

I remember back in RI when a friend's kid had a "launch" problem that
sorta spread debris over a wide area...

Old November 30th 04, 06:21 PM
Refinish_King1

What you need is:

An anaerobic type rust proofing compound. Stripping inside a hidden area
would be suicide to the part. Fiberglass-Evercoat used to make a
rustproofing called: "System 3" Now you'd do fine with Rusfree's 1000-B
Rustproofing, it gets into the tiny nooks and crannies.

It's not undercoating, it's a mixture of urethanes and candle wax, which
adheres well, and will not allow moisture to penetrate to the base primer
that the factory applied on those fenders. Which was a cheap industrial
primer in those days, just to keep the part from oxidizing on the shelf.

Back at that time, we used to have to strip that primer, then coat with
Dupont 70 or 80-S or Ditzler/PPG Acrylic Lacquer Primer. When there were no
such thing as rust proofing, we used to use roof coating, but that too dried
like undercoating and cracked. Only to allow water under it and cause more
rust than if it weren't there at all.

Refinish King

Old November 30th 04, 06:28 PM
Refinish_King1

Waxoyl is another anaerobic urethane/wax based product:

As is Ziebart and the former "System 3" Rusfree is a cheaper version of it.
There are other products on the market, but most are franchised, so the
costs are prohibitive for a shop like mine. I just rustproof repairs, and
the cars done with competitive products have to be taken back to the
original installer or another franchised dealer.

I wish Fiberglass-Evercoat still made System 3. I was an authorized dealer.

Refinish King

n.umich.edu...

Best Home Base Work Reynard 4x4 0 November 10th 04 03:27 AM
Subject: Traffic School - online traffic school experience response [email protected] Corvette 0 October 9th 04 05:56 PM
JEEP question - 4.0 vs 4.0HO James Morrow 4x4 12 June 2nd 04 05:16 PM
WE DO Custom 24kt. GOLD PLATING on your AUTO - HOME - EVERYWHERE! Goldies Gold Plating Alfa Romeo 0 April 28th 04 01:32 AM