What kind of car is this?

Old January 10th 06, 10:35 PM posted to rec.autos.driving

Default What kind of car is this?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Image:S...Car-140mph.jpg

It's doing 140mph but only 4000rpm. When I'm at that speed, my
car is at 6000rpm. But then again, my redline is 7000 and this car's
redline is only 5000.

Old January 10th 06, 10:46 PM posted to rec.autos.driving

Old Wolf wrote:
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Image:S...Car-140mph.jpg
>
> It's doing 140mph but only 4000rpm. When I'm at that speed, my
> car is at 6000rpm. But then again, my redline is 7000 and this car's
> redline is only 5000.

I'm curious where RHD cars are used but the speed limits (and therefore
the car's speedometer) would be in MPH! looks very odd to me. Even
here in the US we have km/h markings on our speedos and I thought we
were one of the last holdouts.

nate

Old January 10th 06, 10:50 PM posted to rec.autos.driving

In article .com>,
"Old Wolf" > wrote:

> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Image:S...Car-140mph.jpg
>
> It's doing 140mph but only 4000rpm. When I'm at that speed, my
> car is at 6000rpm. But then again, my redline is 7000 and this car's
> redline is only 5000.

The steering wheel is on the right. If you think about it, all will
become clear...

--
Alan Baker
Vancouver, British Columbia
Old January 10th 06, 11:05 PM posted to rec.autos.driving

"Old Wolf" > wrote
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Image:S...Car-140mph.jpg
>
> It's doing 140mph but only 4000rpm. When I'm at that speed, my
> car is at 6000rpm. But then again, my redline is 7000 and this car's
> redline is only 5000.

My guess is something with a diesel engine...
I don't believe it's a MB or BMW.

FloydR
Old January 10th 06, 11:13 PM posted to rec.autos.driving

On Tue, 10 Jan 2006, N8N wrote:

> I'm curious where RHD cars are used but the speed limits (and therefore
> the car's speedometer) would be in MPH!

The UK.
Old January 10th 06, 11:48 PM posted to rec.autos.driving

Old Wolf wrote:

> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Image:S...Car-140mph.jpg
>
> It's doing 140mph but only 4000rpm. When I'm at that speed, my
> car is at 6000rpm. But then again, my redline is 7000 and this car's
> redline is only 5000.

The control stalk looks like it may be GM Europe ( Opel ) probably in
Germany in that case and not speeding at all.

Graham

Old January 10th 06, 11:57 PM posted to rec.autos.driving

Old Wolf wrote:

> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Image:S...Car-140mph.jpg
>
> It's doing 140mph but only 4000rpm. When I'm at that speed, my
> car is at 6000rpm. But then again, my redline is 7000 and this car's
> redline is only 5000.

Not European if the speedo's only in mph though. Yet it doesn't look
like kph. Unless the pic's been doctored.

The road layout looks very European though. I thought you Americans had
wide central reservations. Light switch looks like Opel too.

5000 red line suggests a diesel to me btw.

I wouldn't be at all surprised if it's a pic doctored to say mph when
the original was kph. Water temp is in degrees C too - is that the case
in the US ?

Graham

Old January 11th 06, 12:00 AM posted to rec.autos.driving

N8N wrote:

> Old Wolf wrote:
> > http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Image:S...Car-140mph.jpg
> >
> > It's doing 140mph but only 4000rpm. When I'm at that speed, my
> > car is at 6000rpm. But then again, my redline is 7000 and this car's
> > redline is only 5000.

> I'm curious where RHD cars are used

UK and former colonies mainly.

> but the speed limits (and therefore
> the car's speedometer) would be in MPH! looks very odd to me. Even
> here in the US we have km/h markings on our speedos and I thought we
> were one of the last holdouts.

Australia would certainly have kph.

UK has mph and kph.

Can't think of any other RHD countries that have roads in that good order.
Maybe NZ ?

Graham

Old January 11th 06, 12:03 AM posted to rec.autos.driving

Alan Baker wrote:

> In article .com>,
> "Old Wolf" > wrote:
>
> > http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Image:S...Car-140mph.jpg
> >
> > It's doing 140mph but only 4000rpm. When I'm at that speed, my
> > car is at 6000rpm. But then again, my redline is 7000 and this car's
> > redline is only 5000.

> The steering wheel is on the right. If you think about it, all will
> become clear...

Japan doesn't use mph either does it ?

It looks very like a British road to me. But our speedos have kph too.

Graham

Old January 11th 06, 12:06 AM posted to rec.autos.driving

"Daniel J. Stern" wrote:

> On Tue, 10 Jan 2006, N8N wrote:
>
> > I'm curious where RHD cars are used but the speed limits (and therefore
> > the car's speedometer) would be in MPH!

> The UK.

LOL !

The speedo *has* been doctored by changing the numbers.

It's only doing 100. Still puzlled over the lack of kph on the 'inner ring'
of the speedo though.

Graham