exhaust manifold minor crack 99 cherokee 4.0L

Old December 16th 05, 08:58 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys

Default exhaust manifold minor crack 99 cherokee 4.0L

Please advise on best alternative for repair. Dealer quotes...$420
repair (weld), $740 replace w/aftermarket part, $920 replace w/oem
part. No real noticable sound problems coming from vehicle yet. Crack
was picked up when doing 100,000 mi major service. I am worried about
the weld not lasting...but dealer says that this is the way that most
of his customers have gone with similar crack. I plan on keeping the
vehicle for at least 2 more years. Also, I do not know if I have the
old (prone to trouble) manifold design or if I have the new one. Can
you tell just by the model year or should I ask the dealer?

Old December 16th 05, 09:15 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys

Welding is temporary at best, it will fail right next to the welded
crack next time. I've read many reports of good success with the newer
designed headers sold on eBay, which are similar to how the factory
header was redesigned to stop the cracking that happened to yours. I'd
go that way rather than spend that much money at the dealer.

Jerry

--
Jerry Bransford
PP-ASEL N6TAY
Old December 16th 05, 10:19 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys

MikeL did pass the time by typing:
> Please advise on best alternative for repair. Dealer quotes...$420
> repair (weld), $740 replace w/aftermarket part, $920 replace w/oem
> part. No real noticable sound problems coming from vehicle yet. Crack
> was picked up when doing 100,000 mi major service. I am worried about
> the weld not lasting...but dealer says that this is the way that most
> of his customers have gone with similar crack. I plan on keeping the
> vehicle for at least 2 more years. Also, I do not know if I have the
> old (prone to trouble) manifold design or if I have the new one. Can
> you tell just by the model year or should I ask the dealer?

Try aftermarket and a few hours of work..
http://revbeergoggles.com/banks/

Actually I'd also contact the MFG since this is a known problem
http://www.gtelaw.com/jeepclassactio...formation.html

--
DougW

Old December 17th 05, 04:58 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys

Whatever you do, don't pay $420 for a weld job. That's insane. I took off
my manifold and had it welded by a local guy for $10. Took him less than 10
minutes with a TIG welder.

It will take you *maybe* two hours to remove and reinstall the exhaust
manifold ... most likely less.

It may crack again as Jerry said, but at least I'm not out any money.

Good luck.

oups.com...

Old December 17th 05, 07:35 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys

http://www.1aauto.com/1A/ExhaustMani...EM00147/146513
God Bless America, Bill O|||||||O
http://www.billhughes.com/