Computer Glitch

Old December 12th 05, 12:45 PM posted to alt.autos.bmw

Default Computer Glitch

My Z4 would not start this morning. Seemed to be sufficient electric, but
the starter would not engage. It appeared to me like the computer was not
responding properly. My drive is on an incline and I managed to jump start
the car. The clock and settable odometer all rezerowed...

The car drove fine and I got to work with no incidence (about 10 miles). I
parked, turned off the engine and restarted it with no incident. Should I be
concerned or do anything or just consider it a glitch....

Bob
--
_________________________________
S. Robert Davidoff, DMD, FACP

www.dental-implants.com
www.dds-online.com
www.davidoffdental.com

Old December 12th 05, 05:42 PM posted to alt.autos.bmw

You were correct... replaced the battery this afternoon....

--
_________________________________
S. Robert Davidoff, DMD, FACP

www.dental-implants.com
www.dds-online.com
www.davidoffdental.com

http://www.unixnerd.demon.co.uk - The Ultimate BMW Homepage!

Old December 15th 05, 09:13 AM posted to alt.autos.bmw

. ..

www.dental-implants.com
> www.dds-online.com
> www.davidoffdental.com

I've found that BMW's are notorious for killing batteries if the car is not
driven for an extended period of time. My wife's former X5 and my former
'01 750 would have dead batteries after leaving them stored in Florida for
4-5 months during the summer. I even tried a BMW battery maintainer
(trickle charger) and the X5 would still be dead upon our return to Florida
in the fall. In each case the batteries were not recoverable - they had to
be replaced. The 750 had two batteries - over 800 bucks to replace at BMW.
BMW replace the X5 battery twice under warranty but, when it happened the
third time, they told us we need to drive the car more.

Eisboch

Old December 16th 05, 12:40 AM posted to alt.autos.bmw

Eisboch wrote:
> "S. Robert Davidoff" > wrote in message
> . ..
>
>>My Z4 would not start this morning. Seemed to be sufficient electric, but
>>the starter would not engage. It appeared to me like the computer was not
>>responding properly. My drive is on an incline and I managed to jump start
>>the car. The clock and settable odometer all rezerowed...
>>
>>The car drove fine and I got to work with no incidence (about 10 miles). I
>>parked, turned off the engine and restarted it with no incident. Should I
>>be
>>concerned or do anything or just consider it a glitch....
>>
>>Bob
>>--
>>_________________________________
>>S. Robert Davidoff, DMD, FACP

>>www.dental-implants.com
>>www.dds-online.com
>>www.davidoffdental.com
>>

> I've found that BMW's are notorious for killing batteries if the car is not
> driven for an extended period of time. My wife's former X5 and my former
> '01 750 would have dead batteries after leaving them stored in Florida for
> 4-5 months during the summer. I even tried a BMW battery maintainer
> (trickle charger) and the X5 would still be dead upon our return to Florida
> in the fall. In each case the batteries were not recoverable - they had to
> be replaced. The 750 had two batteries - over 800 bucks to replace at BMW.
> BMW replace the X5 battery twice under warranty but, when it happened the
> third time, they told us we need to drive the car more.
>
> Eisboch

There is an easy way to avoid all that. Disconnect the negative battery
terminal and hook the battery tender to the (now disconnected) battery.

--
-Fred W