transmission flush

Old May 26th 05, 01:56 PM
Reet

Default transmission flush

I take my Suzuki XL-7 to speed lube for oil
changes. They keep telling me that I should
have my transmission flushed. I have 42,000
miles on it. Should this be done or is this
just another way to get my money!

Old May 26th 05, 02:17 PM
Peter D. Hipson

On Thu, 26 May 2005 08:56:50 -0400, "Reet" >
wrote:

>I take my Suzuki XL-7 to speed lube for oil
>changes. They keep telling me that I should
>have my transmission flushed. I have 42,000
>miles on it. Should this be done or is this
>just another way to get my money!

42K hard miles? or easy ones? Transmissions do like ot have the fluid
changed. Despite what the makers say about never needing ot change the
fluid (and some transmissions don't even have a provision to change
the fluid!)

On my work trucks, it is every year.

Old May 26th 05, 02:57 PM
Reet

I would say no to hard miles. I drive 44
miles a day to work on a 2 lane highway, so
going 55 mph. Not much city driving. they
want around $55 to do this, so may be worth it?

Old May 26th 05, 06:38 PM
Peter D. Hipson

No heavy usage, I'd say maybe when you hit 50K or so.

Old May 27th 05, 03:40 AM
Lon

Reet proclaimed:

> I would say no to hard miles. I drive 44
> miles a day to work on a 2 lane highway, so
> going 55 mph. Not much city driving. they
> want around $55 to do this, so may be worth it?

If that is USD, it is too low for a good proper service of
an automatic transmission. Check with a local shop that does
nothing but transmission repair and is NOT a member of a chain
that advertises on TV. With only that many miles you are on
the bottom edge of thinking about changing it. I sure wouldn't
take my transmission to a local speed lube type shop for that
kind of work. It isn't that complicated but a good shop will
change any filters, flush, and perform any mechanical
adjustments that might be indicated for just a bit more money.

Old May 27th 05, 05:51 AM
Ashton Crusher

wrote:

>I take my Suzuki XL-7 to speed lube for oil
>changes. They keep telling me that I should
>have my transmission flushed. I have 42,000
>miles on it. Should this be done or is this
>just another way to get my money!

Most manufactures USED to recommend a fluid and filter every 36 miles,
give or take. Some say 100,000 now. My recommendation is at least do
the standard filter and fluid change ever 30,000 since that only
replaces about 1/3 of the fluid. If you do a flush you get all the
fluid replaced but usually they charge extra to replace the filter
when they do a flush. At this point on your vehicle, if it was mine
I'd probably do a flush and filter change and then not worry about it
again till 80,000. Most places charge around $50 - $75 for filter and
fluid. $75 - $100 for Flush, and an extra $35 if you also want the
filter at the same time. But prices seem to vary a lot.