Consider buying American!

Old February 17th 08, 06:32 PM posted to alt.autos.toyota,rec.autos.makers.honda,alt.autos.nissan, alt.autos.mercedes,alt.autos.bmw
Hachiroku $B%O%A%m%/(B

Default Consider buying American!

On Tue, 12 Feb 2008 05:37:57 -0800, buydomestic wrote:

> http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/23124844/
>
> GM just made it known that they lost 39 billion in 2007, the largest ever
> annual loss for a US automaker.
>
> The big three are losing money, and if we don't give them the support they
> need, they are going to go under. Consider buying an American car.
>
> Here are some American models recommended in the 2007 Consumer Reports
> Annual Auto Issue:

There are a couple problems with American car manufacturers in general,
and GM in particular:

The workforce gets bored easily. Bored workers do fair work.

The Management is more interested in making shareholders happy than
customers.

And the biggest failure of the system: even if your people are building
the cars the best they can, the car is no better than the quality of the
parts that go into it.

This is where the Japanese really kick ass. The parts are far more
reliable than their American counterparts. Remember what happened when GM
sytarted making Corollas (Geo Prizm)? They put Delco parts into them! The
highest failure components on a Prizm are the alternator and the radio.
Smart people who realize they have a Corolla in disguise go to a Toyota
dealer and buy a rebuilt Denso alternator and drive for the next 150,000+
miles without even thinking about it.

Once GM starts thinking Customer over shareholder, and quality parts
rather than cheap parts, GM will again regain it's composure and move back
to the top. And I don't mean in sales. You give people a large enough
incentive, they'll buy the car no matter how crummy. I ALMOST went to look
at a Cobalt, because a new one was $3,000 less than the Scion I bought
with 11,500 miles. Bit based on the reliability figures of the Cavalier
the Cobalt replaced, the idea left my head in 5 minutes.

If GM can get their parts manufacturers to approach the quality and
longevity of Denso, Hitachi, etc, GM might once again become #1 in
QUALITY, and not just pushing cars to rental agencies to boost sales...

Old February 17th 08, 06:47 PM posted to alt.autos.toyota,rec.autos.makers.honda,alt.autos.nissan,alt.autos.mercedes,alt.autos.bmw
Jeff[_3_]

Hachiroku ハチ*ク wrote:
> On Tue, 12 Feb 2008 05:37:57 -0800, buydomestic wrote:
>
>> http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/23124844/
>>
>> GM just made it known that they lost 39 billion in 2007, the largest ever
>> annual loss for a US automaker.
>>
>> The big three are losing money, and if we don't give them the support they
>> need, they are going to go under. Consider buying an American car.
>>
>> Here are some American models recommended in the 2007 Consumer Reports
>> Annual Auto Issue:

> There are a couple problems with American car manufacturers in general,
> and GM in particular:
>
> The workforce gets bored easily. Bored workers do fair work.

How does this affect GM workers more than other workers? Or Ford and
Chrysler workers more than the workers for the foreign automakers?

> The Management is more interested in making shareholders happy than
> customers.

Chrysler does not have shareholders.

> And the biggest failure of the system: even if your people are building
> the cars the best they can, the car is no better than the quality of the
> parts that go into it.

This is true for US-made Hondas and Toyotas, too.

> This is where the Japanese really kick ass. The parts are far more
> reliable than their American counterparts. Remember what happened when GM
> sytarted making Corollas (Geo Prizm)? They put Delco parts into them! The
> highest failure components on a Prizm are the alternator and the radio.
> Smart people who realize they have a Corolla in disguise go to a Toyota
> dealer and buy a rebuilt Denso alternator and drive for the next 150,000+
> miles without even thinking about it.
>
> Once GM starts thinking Customer over shareholder, and quality parts
> rather than cheap parts, GM will again regain it's composure and move back
> to the top. And I don't mean in sales. You give people a large enough
> incentive, they'll buy the car no matter how crummy. I ALMOST went to look
> at a Cobalt, because a new one was $3,000 less than the Scion I bought
> with 11,500 miles. Bit based on the reliability figures of the Cavalier
> the Cobalt replaced, the idea left my head in 5 minutes.
>
> If GM can get their parts manufacturers to approach the quality and
> longevity of Denso, Hitachi, etc, GM might once again become #1 in
> QUALITY, and not just pushing cars to rental agencies to boost sales...

GM and Ford have decreased sales to rental fleets.

Jeff
Old February 17th 08, 06:54 PM posted to alt.autos.toyota,rec.autos.makers.honda,alt.autos.nissan,alt.autos.mercedes,alt.autos.bmw
jim beam

Jeff wrote:
> Hachiroku ハチ*ク wrote:
>> On Tue, 12 Feb 2008 05:37:57 -0800, buydomestic wrote:
>>
>>> http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/23124844/
>>>
>>> GM just made it known that they lost 39 billion in 2007, the largest
>>> ever
>>> annual loss for a US automaker.
>>>
>>> The big three are losing money, and if we don't give them the support
>>> they
>>> need, they are going to go under. Consider buying an American car.
>>>
>>> Here are some American models recommended in the 2007 Consumer Reports
>>> Annual Auto Issue:

>> There are a couple problems with American car manufacturers in general,
>> and GM in particular:
>>
>> The workforce gets bored easily. Bored workers do fair work.

> How does this affect GM workers more than other workers? Or Ford and
> Chrysler workers more than the workers for the foreign automakers?
>
>> The Management is more interested in making shareholders happy than
>> customers.

> Chrysler does not have shareholders.
>
>> And the biggest failure of the system: even if your people are building
>> the cars the best they can, the car is no better than the quality of the
>> parts that go into it.

> This is true for US-made Hondas and Toyotas, too.

the difference is the spec the auto maker writes for the parts. honda
and toyota specs are very high. domestic specs are way lower.

Old February 17th 08, 07:22 PM posted to alt.autos.toyota,rec.autos.makers.honda,alt.autos.nissan,alt.autos.mercedes,alt.autos.bmw
Tony Harding

Johnny Hageyama wrote:

> Tony Harding wrote:
>> BaJoRi wrote:

>>> What are the annual healthcare and retirement benefit costs for GM and
>>> Ford, owing to the UAW contracts, as compared with Honda and Toyota? So
>>> to say that those Japanese companies take care of their empoyees as well
>>> as the Big Three is an outright lie.

>> Wake up, dude, Japan, along with every other first world country with
>> the exception of the US, has universal health coverage and retirement
>> benefits, so Japanese companies, et al., have no direct health care
>> and/or retirement costs. Makes for quite a competitive advantage,
>> doesn't it?

> Furthermore the Japanese health care system, both the public and
> private portions, is incredibly cheap, costing less than half as much
> as the American system does, this despite Americans making far fewer
> doctor visits.

It's really staggering to think about it. IIRC, one rationale for
"market driven" health care is to eliminate what they call "frivolous"
doctor's visits. I don't personally know anyone who drops by the
doctor's office just because he has decent health coverage. Most people
are too busy.
Old February 17th 08, 07:28 PM posted to alt.autos.toyota,rec.autos.makers.honda,alt.autos.nissan,alt.autos.mercedes,alt.autos.bmw
Tony Harding

Dave Plowman (News) wrote:
> In article >,
> Elmo P. Shagnasty > wrote:
>> In article >,
>> "Dave Plowman (News)" > wrote:

>>> I'm a 'BMW guy'. BMW saw sense and ditched belts some 15 years ago.

>> Why does BMW care? They've created a market in the US where their
>> target market leases the cars and turns them around before the warranty
>> is up.

> The world does *not* consist of the US. But in any case like most makers
> offer a warranty on secondhand cars.
>
>> BMW doesn't give a **** about maintenance costs down the road. That's
>> some other ******'s problem, not BMWs.

> Really? They include maintenance in the sale price for 100,000 miles -
> which can be extended for a fixed payment. A good reason for using chains.
>
> But since chains cost more and are inferior in every way (in your
> opinion) just what is your explanation for BMW using them ?

Plus Porsche, which has used timing chains in the 911 series since it
was first shown in 1963 (the Frankfort auto show). MB does, too, at
least on some models, same for VW.
Old February 17th 08, 07:33 PM posted to alt.autos.toyota,rec.autos.makers.honda,alt.autos.nissan,alt.autos.mercedes,alt.autos.bmw
Tony Harding

jim beam wrote:
> Tony Harding wrote:
>> jim beam wrote:

>>> because you don't know or care about chain stretch doesn't mean it's
>>> not happening. chains stretch enough to be out of spec in about this
>>> mileage span.

>>> belts "go" when they're too old and have been used too long. chains
>>> usually wear out to the extent that they wreck the rest of the timing
>>> gear and turn the engine into a sluggish polluter.

>> Any links to support this claim?

> by definition, as the chain stretches, the timing drifts. think about it.

In other words, no, not a scintilla.
Old February 17th 08, 07:37 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda
zonie

I worked at a Chevy dealer at the time the Prizm was around. Chevy even had
a letter out to replace the failed Delco alt. with a Denso unit. GM and
Ford dug their own graves buy giving us piles of junk. Time for them to
crawl in their holes and die. Scott

--
Message posted using http://www.talkaboutautos.com/group/....makers.honda/
More information at http://www.talkaboutautos.com/faq.html

Old February 17th 08, 07:39 PM posted to alt.autos.toyota,rec.autos.makers.honda,alt.autos.nissan,alt.autos.mercedes,alt.autos.bmw
Tony Harding

jim beam wrote:
> Elmo P. Shagnasty wrote:

>>> Wrong! The subject of the sentence is "neither", which is singular.
>>> Without the qualification ("of these two statements") it would read
>>> "neither is wrong" (not "neither are wrong").

>> (jim, he's correct)
>>

> ok, let me re-state for the pedants:
>
> "neither of these two statements are wrong".
>
> happy now?

I was happy to start with, but you're still wrong. Sorry.
Old February 17th 08, 09:38 PM posted to alt.autos.toyota,rec.autos.makers.honda,alt.autos.nissan,alt.autos.mercedes,alt.autos.bmw

On Sun, 17 Feb 2008 09:06:16 -0800, Phil Robyn > wrote:

>jim beam wrote:
>> Elmo P. Shagnasty wrote:

>>> (jim, he's correct)
>>>

>> ok, let me re-state for the pedants:
>>
>> "neither of these two statements are wrong".
>>
>> happy now?

>No. You should have quit while you were behind. You're just making
>it worse.

Phil it doesn't matter about the grammar being right or wrong - we ENGLISH
invented the language so we can do what we like with it. Anyway,
the way ENGLISH has been diluted by US immigrants over the years who is to say
what is the correct grammar
--

Sir Hugh of Bognor

Intelligence is not knowing the answer but knowing where and how to find it!

Hugh Gundersen

Bognor Regis, W.Sussex, England, UK

Consider buying American! tater BMW 217 February 26th 08 03:11 PM
Consider buying American! Jeff[_3_] BMW 79 February 24th 08 08:47 PM
buying a Saturn-like buying a lottery ticket misterfact Saturn 3 July 2nd 04 10:02 PM