more residential speed limit fun...

Old August 18th 07, 04:53 AM posted to rec.autos.driving
Brent P[_1_]

Default more residential speed limit fun...

So... I am driving along a semi-residential street... the houses are
on roads that branch from it but have sides along this street...
there's a park and some other crap. 30mph with a center lane for left
turns. Excellent sightlines, good set backs for buildings. 30mph is
underposted for this road. Should be no lower than 35, probably no higher
than 40 given traffic I've seen on it.

This minivan is just riding too close to me for comfort as I am
doing a hair (width of the line on the speedo) under 30. I have to watch
traffic, watch for cops and watch him. I have enough, I lift the
throttle and drop to 25mph intending to shoot back up to 30mph to get
some relief. (If I were to go over the speed limit on this road it
would be my luck a cop would be there) Well, mr minivan pulls with in a few
inches of my rear bumper. So I stay off the throttle and drop to 20mph.
He then goes around, cuts me off and nails the brakes... starts moving
again, nails the brakes again. Then he signals a left turn and pulls on
to the road where he apparently lives.....

He gets out and yells something at me..... I yell back that he needs to
complain to his town government not me and continue on my way.

I'll bet he and his wife would scream if someone proposed raising
that speed limit to 35-40mph thinking their kid would get run over by
speeders..... Since he was stuck driving a minivan I doubt he was the
type to stand up to his wife on anything even if he did feel a higher
speed limit was appropiate.

Old August 18th 07, 04:13 PM posted to rec.autos.driving
Ed Pirrero

On Aug 17, 8:53 pm, (Brent P)
wrote:

> This minivan is just riding too close to me for comfort as I am
> doing a hair (width of the line on the speedo) under 30. I have to watch
> traffic, watch for cops and watch him. I have enough, I lift the
> throttle and drop to 25mph intending to shoot back up to 30mph to get
> some relief. (If I were to go over the speed limit on this road it
> would be my luck a cop would be there) Well, mr minivan pulls with in a few
> inches of my rear bumper. So I stay off the throttle and drop to 20mph.
> He then goes around, cuts me off and nails the brakes... starts moving
> again, nails the brakes again. Then he signals a left turn and pulls on
> to the road where he apparently lives.....

So, you're not just an annoying asshole on usenet, but one in Real
Life, too?

I'm shocked that you have so many poor encounters with all forms of
government. Shocked, I tell you!

Here's what you do when there's an annoying person driving like an
asshole - back off. But since the minivan driver didn't do that, it
may only be a matter of time before some unfortunate incident occurs.
Around here, if folks are impatient, cars have been known to signal,
move into the center lane, slow down, then pull back into traffic.
Problem solved, on both asshole drivers' parts.

Brent, you acted like an asshole, and ****ed the guy off. Stop
driving like an asshole, or get off the road.

E.P.

Old August 18th 07, 04:56 PM posted to rec.autos.driving
Brent P[_1_]

In article . com>, Ed Pirrero wrote:
> On Aug 17, 8:53 pm, (Brent P)
> wrote:
>>
>> This minivan is just riding too close to me for comfort as I am
>> doing a hair (width of the line on the speedo) under 30. I have to watch
>> traffic, watch for cops and watch him. I have enough, I lift the
>> throttle and drop to 25mph intending to shoot back up to 30mph to get
>> some relief. (If I were to go over the speed limit on this road it
>> would be my luck a cop would be there) Well, mr minivan pulls with in a few
>> inches of my rear bumper. So I stay off the throttle and drop to 20mph.
>> He then goes around, cuts me off and nails the brakes... starts moving
>> again, nails the brakes again. Then he signals a left turn and pulls on
>> to the road where he apparently lives.....

> So, you're not just an annoying asshole on usenet, but one in Real
> Life, too?

Ed, my personal troll. I knew this post would snag you or gpstroll into
trying to say how it was my fault for being tailgated.

> I'm shocked that you have so many poor encounters with all forms of
> government. Shocked, I tell you!

How is government involved here? I just told him the proper place to
lodge his complaint regarding a speed limit he obviously feels is much
too low. Isn't that what your always telling me, Ed?

> Here's what you do when there's an annoying person driving like an
> asshole - back off.

That's what I did Ed. Do you have trouble reading? I backed off the
throttle. Thats SOP for tailgaters.

> But since the minivan driver didn't do that, it
> may only be a matter of time before some unfortunate incident occurs.
> Around here, if folks are impatient, cars have been known to signal,
> move into the center lane, slow down, then pull back into traffic.
> Problem solved, on both asshole drivers' parts.

Do you have trouble reading? I was off the throttle the whole time. He
came around me. He was tailgating me. When he moved into the center lane
I was at 20mph. When he moved to cut me off I was at something slightly
less that 20mph, probably around 18mph.

> Brent, you acted like an asshole, and ****ed the guy off. Stop
> driving like an asshole, or get off the road.

Oh really Ed, how do you handle tailgaters? Do you exceed the posted
speed limit because they want to go faster? See, if I posted this and
said I got a ticket for doing 40 in 30 because I was getting away from some
asshole was tailgating me, your tune would be quite different. You'd be
telling me how not to let the tailgating asshole drive my car, how I
should have just slowed down and let him pass if he wanted.... The SOP
for dealing with tailgaters. Of course since I slowed down and let him
pass... now you have to find fault with that. So nice having a personal
troll like you.

Old August 18th 07, 05:40 PM posted to rec.autos.driving
Ed Pirrero

On Aug 18, 8:56 am, (Brent P)
wrote:
> In article . com>, Ed Pirrero wrote:
> > On Aug 17, 8:53 pm, (Brent P)
> > wrote:

> >> This minivan is just riding too close to me for comfort as I am
> >> doing a hair (width of the line on the speedo) under 30. I have to watch
> >> traffic, watch for cops and watch him. I have enough, I lift the
> >> throttle and drop to 25mph intending to shoot back up to 30mph to get
> >> some relief. (If I were to go over the speed limit on this road it
> >> would be my luck a cop would be there) Well, mr minivan pulls with in a few
> >> inches of my rear bumper. So I stay off the throttle and drop to 20mph.
> >> He then goes around, cuts me off and nails the brakes... starts moving
> >> again, nails the brakes again. Then he signals a left turn and pulls on
> >> to the road where he apparently lives.....

> > So, you're not just an annoying asshole on usenet, but one in Real
> > Life, too?

> Ed, my personal troll.

If that were true, you'd KF me or not respond...

> I knew this post would snag you or gpstroll into
> trying to say how it was my fault for being tailgated.

Quote where I blamed you for this guy's original driving error.

> > I'm shocked that you have so many poor encounters with all forms of
> > government. Shocked, I tell you!

> How is government involved here?

It isn't. It's a general comment about your inability to have
pleasant dealings with people of all stripes.

> > Here's what you do when there's an annoying person driving like an
> > asshole - back off.

> That's what I did Ed.

No, you precipitated a MORE dangerous situation by driving like an
asshole. Besides, I was speaking about the mistake of the other
driver.

> Do you have trouble reading? I backed off the
> throttle. Thats SOP for tailgaters.

No, it's passive-agressive asshattery. It did NOTHING to solve your
problem, and created a bigger one. You made a driving mistake, and
you should be man enough to admit it.

> > But since the minivan driver didn't do that, it
> > may only be a matter of time before some unfortunate incident occurs.
> > Around here, if folks are impatient, cars have been known to signal,
> > move into the center lane, slow down, then pull back into traffic.
> > Problem solved, on both asshole drivers' parts.

> Do you have trouble reading? I was off the throttle the whole time.

Which precipitated a MORE dangerous situation, because you ****ed off
the other driver by being a deliberate asshole.

> > Brent, you acted like an asshole, and ****ed the guy off. Stop
> > driving like an asshole, or get off the road.

> Oh really Ed, how do you handle tailgaters?

I don't "handle" them. And I very rarely get tailgated, even in my
slow-assed diesel. When the person is obviously being a dick, then I
just pull over and let them around. It costs me nothing, and allows
me to observe the dick directly, instead of in my mirror. In my
entire driving life, I can think of less than five of these incidents.

Funny how I very rarely have the negative interactions with other
people as you do.

> Do you exceed the posted
> speed limit because they want to go faster?

No.

> See, if I posted this and
> said I got a ticket for doing 40 in 30 because I was getting away from some
> asshole was tailgating me, your tune would be quite different.

Strawman.

> You'd be
> telling me how not to let the tailgating asshole drive my car, how I
> should have just slowed down and let him pass if he wanted.... The SOP
> for dealing with tailgaters.

Uhh, yeah - you forgot the "pulling over" part. And you forgot that
the center lane is not a passing lane.

> Of course since I slowed down and let him
> pass...

Oh, yes, you slowed down. To **** him off. Your original post makes
that pretty clear. You were gonna "punch it back up to thirty",
right? Sheesh, must be nice thinking you can pretend you were the
victim, when you caused a hassle to begin with by going slower than
the limit, then were an asshole on purpose to further inflame the
situation.

Stop driving like an asshole, Brent.

E.P.

Old August 18th 07, 06:25 PM posted to rec.autos.driving
gpsman

On Aug 17, 10:53 pm, (Brent P)
wrote:
> So... I am driving along a semi-residential street... the houses are
> on roads that branch from it but have sides along this street...
> there's a park and some other crap. 30mph with a center lane for left
> turns. Excellent sightlines, good set backs for buildings. 30mph is
> underposted for this road. Should be no lower than 35, probably no higher
> than 40 given traffic I've seen on it.

Sure, 40 (default effective SL of 45-55) is a great speed limit near a
park, and other "crap"...

> This minivan is just riding too close to me for comfort

Huhwhat? Isn't he probably tailgating you on purpose to prevent
anyone from squeezing between you and forcing him to tailgate against
his will?

> as I am
> doing a hair (width of the line on the speedo) under 30. I have to watch
> traffic, watch for cops and watch him.

Why are you watching for cops? What do you plan to do if you see one,
speed up to 10-15 over the limit to avoid looking suspicious?

> I have enough, I lift the
> throttle and drop to 25mph intending to shoot back up to 30mph to get
> some relief.

<I take it you have no concern for inconveniencing other drivers or
increasing your risk of a rear-end collision? (jump in here anytime,
Nate)>

Lemme see if I understand you correctly- You intended to increase the
following distance of the driver behind you by slowing and then
"shooting up" your velocity... at the pace of a fast walk?

What, exactly, did you say you "engineer" again...?

> (Well, mr minivan pulls with in a few
> inches of my rear bumper. So I stay off the throttle and drop to 20mph.
> He then goes around, cuts me off and nails the brakes... starts moving
> again, nails the brakes again.

I don't know what he intended to accomplish with those maneuvers...
unless you were tailgating him in retaliation.

> He gets out and yells something at me..... I yell back that he needs to
> complain to his town government not me and continue on my way.

Hmmm... he yelled "something"... I take it you have concluded your
reply was relevant to whatever that was. ISTM you're not that great
of a listener...

> I'll bet he and his wife would scream if someone proposed raising
> that speed limit to 35-40mph thinking their kid would get run over by
> speeders.....

Because we all know those drivers who speed through residential
districts are the best drivers...?

> Since he was stuck driving a minivan I doubt he was the
> type to stand up to his wife on anything even if he did feel a higher
> speed limit was appropiate.

Yes, of course, we all know acceding to our wife's demands makes us
lesser men, and/or a minivan is a totally inappropriate choice of
vehicles for "real" men, and/or a "real" man would never drive the
vehicle primarily used by his wife, and/or...

Your habit of thinking you know things you have no method of learning,
and then posting it here, is not really indicative of someone in the
habit of actually "thinking". IMO, your report consists entirely of
no-need-to-be-reported information, including the fact you have no
clue as to how to deal with tailgaters (we all know you can't drive
for ****), but maybe excepting amusement value.

Your complaint of a tailgater is hilarious, since you vigorously
defend it when you do it. Oh, yeah, we all know that's entirely
different blah, blahblah blah blah...

Maybe you shouldn't troll for trolls...
-----

- gpsman

Old August 19th 07, 01:57 AM posted to rec.autos.driving
Nate Nagel[_2_]

Ed Pirrero wrote:
> On Aug 17, 8:53 pm, (Brent P)
> wrote:
>
>>This minivan is just riding too close to me for comfort as I am
>>doing a hair (width of the line on the speedo) under 30. I have to watch
>>traffic, watch for cops and watch him. I have enough, I lift the
>>throttle and drop to 25mph intending to shoot back up to 30mph to get
>>some relief. (If I were to go over the speed limit on this road it
>>would be my luck a cop would be there) Well, mr minivan pulls with in a few
>>inches of my rear bumper. So I stay off the throttle and drop to 20mph.
>>He then goes around, cuts me off and nails the brakes... starts moving
>>again, nails the brakes again. Then he signals a left turn and pulls on
>>to the road where he apparently lives.....

> So, you're not just an annoying asshole on usenet, but one in Real
> Life, too?
>
> I'm shocked that you have so many poor encounters with all forms of
> government. Shocked, I tell you!
>
> Here's what you do when there's an annoying person driving like an
> asshole - back off. But since the minivan driver didn't do that, it
> may only be a matter of time before some unfortunate incident occurs.
> Around here, if folks are impatient, cars have been known to signal,
> move into the center lane, slow down, then pull back into traffic.
> Problem solved, on both asshole drivers' parts.
>
> Brent, you acted like an asshole, and ****ed the guy off. Stop
> driving like an asshole, or get off the road.
>
> E.P.

Obeying the speed limit in a residential area is acting like an asshole?
Who knew?

nate

--
replace "roosters" with "cox" to reply.
http://members.cox.net/njnagel
Old August 19th 07, 02:03 AM posted to rec.autos.driving
Ed Pirrero

On Aug 18, 5:57 pm, Nate Nagel > wrote:
> Ed Pirrero wrote:
> > On Aug 17, 8:53 pm, (Brent P)
> > wrote:

> >>This minivan is just riding too close to me for comfort as I am
> >>doing a hair (width of the line on the speedo) under 30. I have to watch
> >>traffic, watch for cops and watch him. I have enough, I lift the
> >>throttle and drop to 25mph intending to shoot back up to 30mph to get
> >>some relief. (If I were to go over the speed limit on this road it
> >>would be my luck a cop would be there) Well, mr minivan pulls with in a few
> >>inches of my rear bumper. So I stay off the throttle and drop to 20mph.
> >>He then goes around, cuts me off and nails the brakes... starts moving
> >>again, nails the brakes again. Then he signals a left turn and pulls on
> >>to the road where he apparently lives.....

> > So, you're not just an annoying asshole on usenet, but one in Real
> > Life, too?

> > I'm shocked that you have so many poor encounters with all forms of
> > government. Shocked, I tell you!

> > Here's what you do when there's an annoying person driving like an
> > asshole - back off. But since the minivan driver didn't do that, it
> > may only be a matter of time before some unfortunate incident occurs.
> > Around here, if folks are impatient, cars have been known to signal,
> > move into the center lane, slow down, then pull back into traffic.
> > Problem solved, on both asshole drivers' parts.

> > Brent, you acted like an asshole, and ****ed the guy off. Stop
> > driving like an asshole, or get off the road.

> > E.P.

> Obeying the speed limit in a residential area is acting like an asshole?
> Who knew?

Tell me how deliberately slowing down *isn't* driving like an
asshole. Tell me how provoking a tailgater isn't being a general
asshole, and generating the greater possibility of a collision.

I can't wait to hear your rationale.

E.P.

Old August 19th 07, 02:04 AM posted to rec.autos.driving
Ed Pirrero

On Aug 18, 5:40 pm, Scott in SoCal > wrote:
> Ed Pirrero > said in rec.autos.driving:
>
> >Here's what you do when there's an annoying person driving like an
> >asshole - back off.

> Um, sounds like that's precisely what he did. He eased off the
> throttle to give himself more following distance.

Brent was the car in front, Scott.

E.P.

Old August 19th 07, 02:06 AM posted to rec.autos.driving
Ed Pirrero

On Aug 18, 10:25 am, gpsman > wrote:

> Maybe you shouldn't troll for trolls...

Hmmm. It never crossed my mind that he might be trolling.

E.P.

Old August 19th 07, 02:06 AM posted to rec.autos.driving
Nate Nagel[_2_]

Ed Pirrero wrote:
> On Aug 18, 5:57 pm, Nate Nagel > wrote:
>
>>Ed Pirrero wrote:

>>>So, you're not just an annoying asshole on usenet, but one in Real
>>>Life, too?

>>>I'm shocked that you have so many poor encounters with all forms of
>>>government. Shocked, I tell you!

>>>Here's what you do when there's an annoying person driving like an
>>>asshole - back off. But since the minivan driver didn't do that, it
>>>may only be a matter of time before some unfortunate incident occurs.
>>>Around here, if folks are impatient, cars have been known to signal,
>>>move into the center lane, slow down, then pull back into traffic.
>>>Problem solved, on both asshole drivers' parts.

>>>Brent, you acted like an asshole, and ****ed the guy off. Stop
>>>driving like an asshole, or get off the road.

>>>E.P.

>>Obeying the speed limit in a residential area is acting like an asshole?
>> Who knew?

> Tell me how deliberately slowing down *isn't* driving like an
> asshole. Tell me how provoking a tailgater isn't being a general
> asshole, and generating the greater possibility of a collision.
>
> I can't wait to hear your rationale.
>
> E.P.

I always thought that slowing down was the accepted method of dealing
with tailgaters who are unwilling to pass. I guess I need remedial
asshole lessons.

Please provide a viable, alternative suggestion that does not involve
speeding up, because I won't do it - too often the asshole tailgater is
a cop trying to give you a ticket.

nate