brakes on the 72

Old June 7th 07, 12:56 PM posted to alt.autos.corvette
JCORVETTE 72&75

Default brakes on the 72

after i rebuilt all the calipers anf bled the system twice the brakes
seemsd to work fine then gradually the brake pedal got softer and
softer. the pedal going almost to the floor. the car stops fine except
excseesive pedal travel
the brakes grab real quick.
there is absolutely no fluid loss.
brake pads are all fine.
the booster isnt all that old.
engine vacuum is correct. not sure if booster would affect engine vacuum
or not
thx for any help
jerome

http://community.webtv.net/jcorvette/MYMOSAICS

Old June 7th 07, 02:08 PM posted to alt.autos.corvette
WayneC

JCORVETTE 72&75 wrote:
> after i rebuilt all the calipers anf bled the system twice the brakes
> seemsd to work fine then gradually the brake pedal got softer and
> softer. the pedal going almost to the floor. the car stops fine except
> excseesive pedal travel
> the brakes grab real quick.
> there is absolutely no fluid loss.
> brake pads are all fine.
> the booster isnt all that old.
> engine vacuum is correct. not sure if booster would affect engine vacuum
> or not
> thx for any help
> jerome
>

> http://community.webtv.net/jcorvette/MYMOSAICS

Sounds like there's still some air in the system; bleed 'em again. Then the
only thing I can suggest is that you check run-out between the calipers
and the
rotors (looking for a warped rotor), as excessive run-out has a tendency to
pump air into the system.
Old June 7th 07, 04:30 PM posted to alt.autos.corvette
Tom in Missouri

Two things can be wrong here. First is that you still have air in the
system. Second, you could be getting a master cylinder failure.

Remember there are 6 bleeders, not 4, that must be bled to get solid pedal.
The four rear bleeders are at the TOP of the calipers when mounted, not on
each end. Sometimes people put a bleeder screw in the outside lower hole.
Do not bleed the lower hole. It should be plugged. The easiest method I
have found is gravity bleeding, as it works and is usually foolproof. It is
slow, often taking 15 minutes per caliper or more. Have patience and get
good results.

Put the car on jackstands.

Remove all four tires.

Fill the master cylinder. If you are using DOT 5 silicone fluid, pour
slowly and carefully to prevent air bubbles. Remember to check the MC
throughout the bleeding process to be sure the fluid is full. If the MC goes
dry, you will have a long time to bleed that air out.

Crack the bleeders on the MC to be sure no air bubbles are trapped there. If
you bench bled, there should not be. If the MC has not gone dry, there
should not be.

Open a bleeder on the left rear caliper. Wait until fluid comes out. Watch
for air bubbles. After you see the last of the bubbles, keep bleeding a
short time to be sure there are no more that were just further upstream.

Repeat with the other bleeder on the same caliper.

Bleed the left front caliper. Keep bleeding for a short time after the last
bubbles are seen.

Bleed the right front caliper.

Move to the right rear caliper and do this on each bleeder.

Check your pedal. If it still goes soft, repeat the process. However. this
time, leave each bleeder open about 15 minutes before checking for air.
Remember to keep the MC full during this time. This will flush fluid from
the lines out the calipers in case air is trapped in the lines.

If you still have a problem, repeat the long bleed one more time. It is
easier to do it once again than replacing the master cylinder. If you still
have a failure, then you need to rebuild or replace the master cylinder.

If you are concerned with originality, then you need to rebuild your MC. It
is possible that you won't be able to due to rust pitting in the bore, and
will need to send it to someone to bore, resleeve, and rebuilt. Some swear
by the stainless steel sleeves like the calipers, but others believe that
brass sleeves work better in the MC.

Good luck.

Old June 7th 07, 05:15 PM posted to alt.autos.corvette
'Key

"JCORVETTE 72&75" > wrote in message
> after i rebuilt all the calipers anf bled the system twice
> the brakes
> seemsd to work fine then gradually the brake pedal got
> softer and
> softer. the pedal going almost to the floor. the car stops
> fine except
> excseesive pedal travel
> the brakes grab real quick.
> there is absolutely no fluid loss.
> brake pads are all fine.
> the booster isnt all that old.
> engine vacuum is correct. not sure if booster would affect
> engine vacuum
> or not
> thx for any help
> jerome
>

> http://community.webtv.net/jcorvette/MYMOSAICS

same thing happened with a 75 vette that I had.
it took about 4 times bleeding the system to correct the
problem.

--
"Key"
=====

Old June 8th 07, 02:42 PM posted to alt.autos.corvette
JCORVETTE 72&75

thx guys .i will work on bleeding and checking runout.
the MC seems to be fine. we did bench bleed it
thx again

http://community.webtv.net/jcorvette/MYMOSAICS

Old June 11th 07, 12:17 AM posted to alt.autos.corvette
Frank

Would this procedure work on a '77?
TIA,
Frank Bradley.........
Veritas Vos Liberabit

Old June 11th 07, 02:28 AM posted to alt.autos.corvette
Tom in Missouri

It is the same 1965 to 1982.

Old June 11th 07, 04:08 PM posted to alt.autos.corvette
Frank

Tnx,
Frank Bradley.........
Veritas Vos Liberabit
"Tom in Missouri" > wrote in message nk.net...
It is the same 1965 to 1982.

Old June 14th 07, 01:48 PM posted to alt.autos.corvette
JCORVETTE 72&75

Default brakes on the 72 Update

i started on frt wheels of course...right rotor was warped. when i
pulled off the right tire the back
of tire and wheel were wet from silicone brake fluid
i pulled the caliper off and seen where i mess up the piston seals when
i repleced them. that can be tricky at times
i had the rotors turned and should get it all back to gether today.
it still rather hot weather for a non-ac car tho
but i will manage.
thx for help

Old June 16th 07, 01:55 PM posted to alt.autos.corvette
WayneC

JCORVETTE 72&75 wrote:
> i started on frt wheels of course...right rotor was warped. when i
> pulled off the right tire the back
> of tire and wheel were wet from silicone brake fluid
> i pulled the caliper off and seen where i mess up the piston seals when
> i repleced them. that can be tricky at times
> i had the rotors turned and should get it all back to gether today.
> it still rather hot weather for a non-ac car tho
> but i will manage.
> thx for help
> jerome
>

> http://community.webtv.net/jcorvette/MYMOSAICS

Glad to hear you identified the problem.

99 XLT brakes squeal w/o applying brakes Mikepier Ford Explorer 4 May 15th 07 02:52 PM
Are brakes simply brakes? Julie P. Technology 8 January 9th 07 12:12 AM
Drum Brakes and Disc Brakes, A Historical Question phaeton Technology 39 November 19th 06 10:12 AM
new brakes GT[_1_] Alfa Romeo 4 October 11th 06 05:07 PM
Bad brakes 97 dodg ram 4x4 360 RWAL brakes paulsblog Chrysler 0 July 27th 06 05:02 PM