RPM in N Or Park, When Gas Pedal Depressed Fully ?

Old November 16th 15, 07:57 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
Bob[_53_]

Default RPM in N Or Park, When Gas Pedal Depressed Fully ?

Hello,

Have a 2009 Buick LaCrosse.

I have probably not looked at this recently, but when I put the
gearshift into either N or P, and depress the gas pedal to the floor,
the indicated RPM never goes above 3,500.

Is this normal ? If not, what might it indicate ?

I "seem to" remember that it would go to about 6,000 when I did this
previously, but I may be wrong about that.

Car seems to drive normally.

Thanks for help, as always,
Bob
Old November 16th 15, 08:00 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
Bill Vanek[_2_]

On Mon, 16 Nov 2015 14:57:12 -0500, Bob > wrote:

>Hello,
>
>Have a 2009 Buick LaCrosse.
>
>I have probably not looked at this recently, but when I put the
>gearshift into either N or P, and depress the gas pedal to the floor,
>the indicated RPM never goes above 3,500.
>
>Is this normal ? If not, what might it indicate ?
>
>I "seem to" remember that it would go to about 6,000 when I did this
>previously, but I may be wrong about that.
>
>Car seems to drive normally.
>
>Thanks for help, as always,
>Bob

I think every car has a rev limiter these days. 3500 sounds about
right.
Old November 18th 15, 05:44 AM posted to rec.autos.tech
Ashton Crusher[_2_]

On Mon, 16 Nov 2015 14:57:12 -0500, Bob > wrote:

>Hello,
>
>Have a 2009 Buick LaCrosse.
>
>I have probably not looked at this recently, but when I put the
>gearshift into either N or P, and depress the gas pedal to the floor,
>the indicated RPM never goes above 3,500.
>
>Is this normal ? If not, what might it indicate ?
>
>I "seem to" remember that it would go to about 6,000 when I did this
>previously, but I may be wrong about that.
>
>Car seems to drive normally.
>
>Thanks for help, as always,
>Bob

I would expect the engine redline to be around 6000. Every car I've
had would rev up to redline (or higher) some have a rev limiter that
prevent them from going more then a couple hundred over "redline".
I've never run into a car that was limited to 3500 in N or P. I"m
guessing something isn't right with your car. 3500 is about where
most cars up shift at part throttle so unless you have been flooring
it while you are driving you may not be going over 3500. Floor it
form a stoplight and see if it will go over 3500.. it should go to
redline and shift.
Old November 18th 15, 06:28 AM posted to rec.autos.tech
Paul in Houston TX[_2_]

Ashton Crusher wrote:
> On Mon, 16 Nov 2015 14:57:12 -0500, Bob > wrote:
>
>> Hello,
>>
>> Have a 2009 Buick LaCrosse.
>>
>> I have probably not looked at this recently, but when I put the
>> gearshift into either N or P, and depress the gas pedal to the floor,
>> the indicated RPM never goes above 3,500.
>>
>> Is this normal ? If not, what might it indicate ?
>>
>> I "seem to" remember that it would go to about 6,000 when I did this
>> previously, but I may be wrong about that.
>>
>> Car seems to drive normally.
>>
>> Thanks for help, as always,
>> Bob

> I would expect the engine redline to be around 6000. Every car I've
> had would rev up to redline (or higher) some have a rev limiter that
> prevent them from going more then a couple hundred over "redline".
> I've never run into a car that was limited to 3500 in N or P. I"m
> guessing something isn't right with your car. 3500 is about where
> most cars up shift at part throttle so unless you have been flooring
> it while you are driving you may not be going over 3500. Floor it
> form a stoplight and see if it will go over 3500.. it should go to
> redline and shift.

I rent cars often for work / travel. Sometimes one per week.
All in the last 6 years or so max out at 3500-4000 rpm in N-P.
My 2006 Kia spectra maxes at 4000.
Most will max at 6000-6500 in low gear.

Old November 18th 15, 03:13 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
Scott Dorsey

Ashton Crusher > wrote:
>On Mon, 16 Nov 2015 14:57:12 -0500, Bob > wrote:
>
>>Hello,
>>
>>Have a 2009 Buick LaCrosse.
>>
>>I have probably not looked at this recently, but when I put the
>>gearshift into either N or P, and depress the gas pedal to the floor,
>>the indicated RPM never goes above 3,500.
>>
>>Is this normal ? If not, what might it indicate ?
>>
>>I "seem to" remember that it would go to about 6,000 when I did this
>>previously, but I may be wrong about that.
>>
>>Car seems to drive normally.
>>
>>Thanks for help, as always,
>>Bob

>I would expect the engine redline to be around 6000. Every car I've
>had would rev up to redline (or higher) some have a rev limiter that
>prevent them from going more then a couple hundred over "redline".
>I've never run into a car that was limited to 3500 in N or P. I"m
>guessing something isn't right with your car. 3500 is about where
>most cars up shift at part throttle so unless you have been flooring
>it while you are driving you may not be going over 3500. Floor it
>form a stoplight and see if it will go over 3500.. it should go to
>redline and shift.

It drives normally... but it doesn't go over 3,500 rpm.... so my guess is
that the tachometer is malfunctioning.
--scott
Old November 18th 15, 10:38 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
Steve W.[_6_]

Scott Dorsey wrote:
> Ashton Crusher > wrote:
>> On Mon, 16 Nov 2015 14:57:12 -0500, Bob > wrote:
>>
>>> Hello,
>>>
>>> Have a 2009 Buick LaCrosse.
>>>
>>> I have probably not looked at this recently, but when I put the
>>> gearshift into either N or P, and depress the gas pedal to the floor,
>>> the indicated RPM never goes above 3,500.
>>>
>>> Is this normal ? If not, what might it indicate ?
>>>
>>> I "seem to" remember that it would go to about 6,000 when I did this
>>> previously, but I may be wrong about that.
>>>
>>> Car seems to drive normally.
>>>
>>> Thanks for help, as always,
>>> Bob

>> I would expect the engine redline to be around 6000. Every car I've
>> had would rev up to redline (or higher) some have a rev limiter that
>> prevent them from going more then a couple hundred over "redline".
>> I've never run into a car that was limited to 3500 in N or P. I"m
>> guessing something isn't right with your car. 3500 is about where
>> most cars up shift at part throttle so unless you have been flooring
>> it while you are driving you may not be going over 3500. Floor it
>> form a stoplight and see if it will go over 3500.. it should go to
>> redline and shift.

> It drives normally... but it doesn't go over 3,500 rpm.... so my guess is
> that the tachometer is malfunctioning.
> --scott

Take it out and floor it. Does it accelerate normally or is it sluggish?
How far did the tach go?

OR toss a real scan tool on it and see what it says the rpms are.

--
Steve W.
Old November 19th 15, 02:21 AM posted to rec.autos.tech
Ashton Crusher[_2_]

On Wed, 18 Nov 2015 00:28:32 -0600, Paul in Houston TX
> wrote:

>Ashton Crusher wrote:
>> On Mon, 16 Nov 2015 14:57:12 -0500, Bob > wrote:
>>
>>> Hello,
>>>
>>> Have a 2009 Buick LaCrosse.
>>>
>>> I have probably not looked at this recently, but when I put the
>>> gearshift into either N or P, and depress the gas pedal to the floor,
>>> the indicated RPM never goes above 3,500.
>>>
>>> Is this normal ? If not, what might it indicate ?
>>>
>>> I "seem to" remember that it would go to about 6,000 when I did this
>>> previously, but I may be wrong about that.
>>>
>>> Car seems to drive normally.
>>>
>>> Thanks for help, as always,
>>> Bob

>> I would expect the engine redline to be around 6000. Every car I've
>> had would rev up to redline (or higher) some have a rev limiter that
>> prevent them from going more then a couple hundred over "redline".
>> I've never run into a car that was limited to 3500 in N or P. I"m
>> guessing something isn't right with your car. 3500 is about where
>> most cars up shift at part throttle so unless you have been flooring
>> it while you are driving you may not be going over 3500. Floor it
>> form a stoplight and see if it will go over 3500.. it should go to
>> redline and shift.

>I rent cars often for work / travel. Sometimes one per week.
>All in the last 6 years or so max out at 3500-4000 rpm in N-P.
>My 2006 Kia spectra maxes at 4000.
>Most will max at 6000-6500 in low gear.

I guess I've not tried revving up any thing that new.
Old November 19th 15, 03:53 AM posted to rec.autos.tech

Scott Dorsey wrote: "- show quoted text -
It drives normally... but it doesn't go over 3,500 rpm.... so my guess is
that the tachometer is malfunctioning.
--scott
--
"C'est un Nagra. C'est suisse, et tres, tres precis." "

It's a big American V6, at relatively low RPMs it'll
shake its own shadow. So for its size, 3,500-4,000
RPM sounds about where a rev-limiter would kick
in.