Clutch + flywheel

Old July 26th 08, 07:27 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
Clark Friedrichs

Default Clutch + flywheel

I need a new clutch in my '03, and while I'm replacing that, I was debating
about a lighter flywheel.
Flying Miata has 2: 10+ lbs. and 13+ lbs.
This is a street car so I don't need the lighter of the two. I'm told that
a lighter flywheel will improve throttle response by letting the engine rev
quicker and smoother while retaining a smooth idle. Any
thoughts/recommendations?

--
-----
Clark Friedrichs /

Old July 27th 08, 12:44 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
Chuck[_11_]

The real problem is that the Miata engine does not have much torque at low
RPM. Thus, the heavier flywheel is better for non racing applications. Yes
a lighter flywheel will allow the engine to rev up slightly faster.
However, maintaining higher rather than lower RPM is usually the secret,
even in racing apps. Now if the engine were modified, that may be another
story.

(And now for the flak onslaught!)]

Old July 27th 08, 02:10 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
Russell D. Miller

As an aside to this thread (not meaning to hijack it), what is the expected
life of a clutch on a Miata? How many miles on your '03?

I have an '04 with 25k miles on it, hence the questions....

thanks in advance, y'all.

Old July 27th 08, 01:08 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata

On Jul 27, 2:16*am, Jim > wrote:
> On Sat, 26 Jul 2008 19:10:40 -0600, in rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata,
> "Russell D. Miller" > wrote:
>
> >As an aside to this thread (not meaning to hijack it), what is the expected
> >life of a clutch on a Miata? *How many miles on your '03?

'92 with 135,000 miles, but occasionally slips when driven hard. Plan
to replace clutch this year with Happy Meal and 10 pound flywheel.

Gary
Old July 27th 08, 01:19 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
pws[_1_]

Russell D. Miller wrote:
> As an aside to this thread (not meaning to hijack it), what is the
> expected life of a clutch on a Miata? How many miles on your '03?
>
> I have an '04 with 25k miles on it, hence the questions....
>
> thanks in advance, y'all.

It depends a lot on how the car is driven. Also, forced induction,
especially anything past 8 psi, will eat a stock clutch in no time.

My last Miata had 75,000 on the clutch when it was wrecked. One person
commented that it looked basically new when I removed it, and had to be
better than his clutch that had been slipping.

I gave it to him and he installed it in his car. I haven't heard from
him in a while, but it was still going strong over 2 years after he put
it in his Miata.

Pat

Old July 27th 08, 02:01 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
Iva

Russell D. Miller wrote:
> As an aside to this thread (not meaning to hijack it), what is the
> expected life of a clutch on a Miata? How many miles on your '03?
>
> I have an '04 with 25k miles on it, hence the questions....
>
> thanks in advance, y'all.

The clutch on my '90 lasted 91,000 miles. The clutch on my '04 only
has 21,000 on it so I don't expect to have to replace it for several
years more.

Iva & Vixen
2004 Classic Red
No more winkin' Miata

Old July 27th 08, 06:32 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
johnny p.

"Russell D. Miller" wrote:

> As an aside to this thread (not meaning to hijack it),
> what is the expected life of a clutch on a Miata? How
> many miles on your '03?

I had to replace the clutch on my '99 at 91,200 miles, as it was
slipping. But the clutch on my '93 was OK at 140,000 miles when it got
wrecked. I bought the '99 used and I suspect the previous driver was
pretty hard on it.

yrs jp
Old July 28th 08, 12:25 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
Stephen Toth

In article >, Russell D.
Miller > wrote:

> As an aside to this thread (not meaning to hijack it), what is the expected
> life of a clutch on a Miata? How many miles on your '03?
>
> I have an '04 with 25k miles on it, hence the questions....
>
> thanks in advance, y'all.

My '93 now passed to my son has 198,000 on the original clutch.
No real slipping, but does get grabby now in wet or very humid weather
until warmed up a little.

As others have implied, clutch life depends a lot on driver, driver
style and hp of the engine.

More hp will likely increase slipping at launch, and may cause some
slipping on shifts, but the shifting slippage varies with how well you
match rpms at shift points.

Slippage is what wears the clutch. Less time spent with the clutch in
the zone between initial contact and fully loaded will increase clutch
life.
Old July 28th 08, 05:08 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
pws[_1_]

Stephen Toth wrote:

> My '93 now passed to my son has 198,000 on the original clutch.
> No real slipping, but does get grabby now in wet or very humid weather
> until warmed up a little.
>
> As others have implied, clutch life depends a lot on driver, driver
> style and hp of the engine.
>
> More hp will likely increase slipping at launch, and may cause some
> slipping on shifts, but the shifting slippage varies with how well you
> match rpms at shift points.
>
> Slippage is what wears the clutch. Less time spent with the clutch in
> the zone between initial contact and fully loaded will increase clutch
> life.

Very good description, Stephen,

I once had a diagram bookmarked that showed exactly what the driveline
is doing when the clutch is used, flywheel contact, etc.
It would have been helpful when I was learning how to drive a manual and
I knew far less about the internal workings of a transmission.

My daughter is learning to drive, and I told her that even though she
wants an automatic, she should learn manual.

The boosted '91 with the Act3 clutch should be a good training platform.
If she can master that clutch, she will be able to drive almost anything.

Pat
Old July 29th 08, 01:43 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
Stephen Toth

In article >, pws > wrote:

> Stephen Toth wrote:
>
> > My '93 now passed to my son has 198,000 on the original clutch.
> > No real slipping, but does get grabby now in wet or very humid weather
> > until warmed up a little.
> >
> > As others have implied, clutch life depends a lot on driver, driver
> > style and hp of the engine.
> >
> > More hp will likely increase slipping at launch, and may cause some
> > slipping on shifts, but the shifting slippage varies with how well you
> > match rpms at shift points.
> >
> > Slippage is what wears the clutch. Less time spent with the clutch in
> > the zone between initial contact and fully loaded will increase clutch
> > life.

> Very good description, Stephen,
>
> I once had a diagram bookmarked that showed exactly what the driveline
> is doing when the clutch is used, flywheel contact, etc.
> It would have been helpful when I was learning how to drive a manual and
> I knew far less about the internal workings of a transmission.
>
> My daughter is learning to drive, and I told her that even though she
> wants an automatic, she should learn manual.
>
> The boosted '91 with the Act3 clutch should be a good training platform.
> If she can master that clutch, she will be able to drive almost anything.
>
> Pat

Not sure what the Act3 clutch disc is. If it is the unsprung clutch
disc it is certainly a training tool.

Have only driven a 6 disc unsprung clutch disc a little on a Turbo RX-7.
Launches are a real exercise in getting the right rpm to launch
smoothly depending on conditions and car attitude. (Flat, uphill, dry,
wet, etc.)
Subsequent sifts just require good matching of rpm to road speed.

94 Explorer Clutch fluid Disappearing & clutch slip rolleye Ford Explorer 1 July 12th 07 03:43 PM
Flywheel/clutch assembly Bill Stoney VW water cooled 2 January 30th 07 11:34 AM
M10 flywheel on an M42? John Burns BMW 0 April 24th 06 09:31 PM
AWA [OFFER] LUK Flywheel & clutch Volkswagen vw T4 TDI [email protected] General 0 December 10th 05 04:54 PM
1994 Ford Ranger Clutch slipping when hot- clutch has 1000 miles on it. RobertJohnC 4x4 1 November 24th 05 11:43 PM