99 Civic Check Engine Light

Old February 14th 05, 03:14 PM
disallow

Default 99 Civic Check Engine Light

Hi there,

Got my sister's car with the CEL on, she doesn't
maintain it that well... All of the ignition
stuff looked wore out, so I replaced Cap, rotor,
Wires, and plugs. However, the light came back
on.

What is the procedure to check for the ECU
trouble code if I don't have a scanning tool?

Any other ideas other than checking the code
that I may have overlooked?

Old February 14th 05, 03:36 PM
TCS

RTFSM (Read the ****ing shop manual )

Visit a dealer and read their ****ing shop manual if you don't have a copy.
Old February 14th 05, 08:16 PM
disallow

HEY ASShole. I have the '****ing' shop
manual, and i read it. It sure tells me how to
scan the code if I have an OBDII tool. I don't
have one of those, so i am asking the nice people
on this forum for some input. So go take a long
walk off a short pier, OK? Dumbass.

Anybody else with something useful to say?

Old February 14th 05, 11:07 PM
disallow

I thought there was a way to jumper the service
connector and watch the CEL flashes to determine
the codes being thrown. Am I mistaken?

Old February 15th 05, 01:29 AM
E. Meyer

On 2/14/05 5:36 PM, in article ,
"TeGGer®" > wrote:

> "disallow" <loewen_t at yahoo.ca @> wrote in
> lkaboutautos.com:
>
>> I thought there was a way to jumper the service
>> connector and watch the CEL flashes to determine
>> the codes being thrown. Am I mistaken?
>>

> Not after 1995, unless someone has information I haven't got.
>
> For pre-'96, see he
> http://www.iequus.com/assets/manuals..._E_14JAN03.pdf

The circuit to make it blink out codes is still in there, at least according
to the FSM for the 99-00 Acura TL. Pin 1 in the diagnostic connector is the
SCS line. The blink codes are listed in the book. It says it will blink
them out if the SCS line is jumped by the Honda PGM tool. What it doesn't
tell is what line it has to be jumped to in order to activate it.

Old February 15th 05, 01:30 AM
Jafir Elkurd

The 96 and 97 accord (and odyssey too) have the jumper also, I guess to
phase people in for a little while. The service manual should give both
procedures for troubleshooting. (with scantool and without).

Old February 15th 05, 01:40 AM
E. Meyer

The sketch in the FSM looks like a digital multimeter (a screen, a square
keyboard array under the screen and a data cable coming out the bottom).

Old February 15th 05, 02:12 AM
SoCalMike

disallow wrote:
> Hi there,
>
> Got my sister's car with the CEL on, she doesn't
> maintain it that well... All of the ignition
> stuff looked wore out, so I replaced Cap, rotor,
> Wires, and plugs. However, the light came back
> on.
>
> What is the procedure to check for the ECU
> trouble code if I don't have a scanning tool?

might be worth the $99 for an actron scanner. its good for all cars from
'96 on up.

aside from that, autozone might check it for free.

> Any other ideas other than checking the code
> that I may have overlooked?

you pretty much need the code, and we can take it from there

i had a CEL on my 98 civic, and the scanner told me not only that is was
the O2 sensor, but which one, and what part was malfunctioning. beats
spending $99 at the dealer for a diagnosis.
Old February 15th 05, 02:13 AM
SoCalMike

disallow wrote:
> I thought there was a way to jumper the service
> connector and watch the CEL flashes to determine
> the codes being thrown. Am I mistaken?

not on anything made since '96. i guarantee youll like the code scanner-
its a neat toy. youve already got the shop manual, so....?
Old February 15th 05, 02:43 AM
E. Meyer

On 2/14/05 8:12 PM, in article ,
"TeGGer®" > wrote:

> "E. Meyer" > wrote in
> :
>>
>> On 2/14/05 7:33 PM, in article
>> , "TeGGer®"
>> > wrote:
>>
>>> "E. Meyer" > wrote in
>>> :

>>> Now *that's* the kind of info I'm looking for!
>>>
>>> What does the PGM tool look like? (Don't tell me it's a paper clip!)

>> The sketch in the FSM looks like a digital multimeter (a screen, a
>> square keyboard array under the screen and a data cable coming out the
>> bottom).

> Hm. Then it's still not a DIY thing like the old service connector was.

It might be. There are only 6 wires connected to the 16 pin connector -

Pin 1 is the SCS line
Pin 6 connects to SRS & ABS/TCS units
Pin 8 goes to a fuse
Pin 12 is a ground
Pin 13 is another ground
Pin 15 is the scan tool I/O line & also goes to the MIL through the PCM

just need to find out which Pin line 1 needs to be jumped to. It pretty
much has to be one of the grounds or the I/O line.

I don't plan to try it unless I can figure it out definitively, though.