ECU function in 88-91 Civics

Old February 14th 05, 06:06 PM
Chopface

Default ECU function in 88-91 Civics

Hey,

I was wondering if anyone has a general idea about how long it takes the
ECU to 'learn' to its greatest potential. I'm not sure of the best way
to frame this question, but it relates to my observations of my '91 Si's
engine speed relative to the car's speed.

When I go on highway trips I'm aware of my engine speed at various
cruising speeds on flat stretches. For example, my car will usually run
~ 3200 RPM at ~64 mph, but just yeaterday it was closer to ~3000 RPM at
~64 mph. The last time I disconnected the battery was less than 1,000
miles ago, and less than 4 months ago. The ambient temperature yesterday
was above freezing (warmer than usual).

For more perspective, the car has ~ 140k miles on it, with stock (for
Si) tires/rims. Is part of this the age of the car, and perhaps
fluctuations in the output of sensors due to their age?

Mark

Old February 14th 05, 07:10 PM
speedy

My experience is that it doesnt learn to be better over time. About once
a month I unplug the ECU fuse and let it learn all over again.
Drivability goes up as well as lower fuel comsumtion.

-Pete

Chopface wrote:

> Hey,
>
> I was wondering if anyone has a general idea about how long it takes the
> ECU to 'learn' to its greatest potential. I'm not sure of the best way
> to frame this question, but it relates to my observations of my '91 Si's
> engine speed relative to the car's speed.
>
> When I go on highway trips I'm aware of my engine speed at various
> cruising speeds on flat stretches. For example, my car will usually run
> ~ 3200 RPM at ~64 mph, but just yeaterday it was closer to ~3000 RPM at
> ~64 mph. The last time I disconnected the battery was less than 1,000
> miles ago, and less than 4 months ago. The ambient temperature yesterday
> was above freezing (warmer than usual).
>
> For more perspective, the car has ~ 140k miles on it, with stock (for
> Si) tires/rims. Is part of this the age of the car, and perhaps
> fluctuations in the output of sensors due to their age?
>
> Mark

Turning off the auto door lock function (How, please?) Jjsegr Ford Explorer 2 February 2nd 05 10:17 PM
Multi function switch swap Bob Urz Technology 1 January 28th 05 03:12 PM
[GTRank] Back-to-Back function added Uwe Schürkamp Simulators 2 December 20th 04 11:39 AM
A4 automatic locking function al1 Audi 5 November 27th 04 04:57 PM
Help. TMC function for Sat Nav in the UK Nicholas Nicolaides BMW 4 September 26th 04 04:31 PM