Xenon or bi-xenon?

Old November 18th 08, 10:33 PM posted to alt.autos.bmw
Ikke

Default Xenon or bi-xenon?

Hi everybody,

Just another question related to xenon lights - my five year old BMW E46
320d has the xenon option, but I've noticed that only the daytime running
lights are xenon lights. Shouldn't the high beams be xenon as well?

I've always assumed xenon to mean bi-xenon, but after I noticed the high
beams were different from the DRLs and after checking the BMW option list,
I saw that there was no bi-xenon!

Is it possible to replace the high beams with xenons, and if so, what does
this cost?

Thanks,

Ikke
Old November 19th 08, 12:08 AM posted to alt.autos.bmw
Dave Plowman (News)

In article >,
Ikke > wrote:
> Just another question related to xenon lights - my five year old BMW E46
> 320d has the xenon option, but I've noticed that only the daytime
> running lights are xenon lights. Shouldn't the high beams be xenon as
> well?

> I've always assumed xenon to mean bi-xenon, but after I noticed the high
> beams were different from the DRLs and after checking the BMW option
> list, I saw that there was no bi-xenon!

> Is it possible to replace the high beams with xenons, and if so, what
> does this cost?

HID lamps don't like being switched on and off - so aren't suitable for
high beams on a standard setup. The usual way to provide HID main beams is
with a type of mirror that deflects the dip beam.

--
*A 'jiffy' is an actual unit of time for 1/100th of a second.

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Old November 21st 08, 08:46 PM posted to alt.autos.bmw
Jean-Yves

In article >,
"Dave Plowman (News)" > wrote:

> In article >,
> Ikke > wrote:
> > Just another question related to xenon lights - my five year old BMW E46
> > 320d has the xenon option, but I've noticed that only the daytime
> > running lights are xenon lights. Shouldn't the high beams be xenon as
> > well?

> > I've always assumed xenon to mean bi-xenon, but after I noticed the high
> > beams were different from the DRLs and after checking the BMW option
> > list, I saw that there was no bi-xenon!

> > Is it possible to replace the high beams with xenons, and if so, what
> > does this cost?

> HID lamps don't like being switched on and off - so aren't suitable for
> high beams on a standard setup. The usual way to provide HID main beams is
> with a type of mirror that deflects the dip beam.

I agree...
the bi xenon arrived in late 2003 E46. I have a july 2003 e46 and bi
xenons... but I had some luck ..
in my opinion too difficult to upgrade, you must change the whole
thing...

--
Jean-Yves.
Old December 5th 08, 10:44 AM posted to alt.autos.bmw
Phil Michael

In message >
Ikke > wrote:

> Hi everybody,
>
> Just another question related to xenon lights - my five year old BMW E46
> 320d has the xenon option, but I've noticed that only the daytime running
> lights are xenon lights. Shouldn't the high beams be xenon as well?
>
> I've always assumed xenon to mean bi-xenon, but after I noticed the high
> beams were different from the DRLs and after checking the BMW option list,
> I saw that there was no bi-xenon!
>
> Is it possible to replace the high beams with xenons, and if so, what does
> this cost?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Ikke

Hi Ikke,

My 2002 E46 (UK)has the Xenon option. The outer lights, which you can
use as dipped headlights or day-running lights are Xenons. When using
the main beam by pushing the stalk forward, there is a mirror which
lifts up out of the way and allows the Xenons to illuminate the whole
landscape. Additionally, the inner lights (non-xenons) light up.

When you pull the stalk towards, you, as when flashing an oncoming
car, the inner non-xenon bulbs light up in addition to the dipped
xenons, but the mirror does not move out of the way. The result is
that the oncoming driver is not blinded by high-beam Xenons.

On E46s without Xenons, the inner lights are the main headlamp, and
are the brighter pair.

I'd be surprised of that is not the same for all of the E46s with
xenons.

Hope this helps
regards
--
Phil Michael
Old December 5th 08, 02:59 PM posted to alt.autos.bmw

On Fri, 05 Dec 2008 10:44:37 GMT, Phil Michael >
wrote:

>In message >
> Ikke > wrote:
>
>> Hi everybody,
>>
>> Just another question related to xenon lights - my five year old BMW E46
>> 320d has the xenon option, but I've noticed that only the daytime running
>> lights are xenon lights. Shouldn't the high beams be xenon as well?

Are you sure?

I have the bi-xennon on my E65 730d SE 07 and the inner lights are for flashing
only there is no way they can be used as headlights in the normal manner.

Check it out my friend........................

Hugh

--

Sir Hugh of Bognor

Intelligence is not knowing the answer but knowing where and how to find it!

Hugh Gundersen

Bognor Regis, W.Sussex, England, UK
Old December 6th 08, 06:17 AM posted to alt.autos.bmw
Tim H[_2_]

> wrote in message
> On Fri, 05 Dec 2008 10:44:37 GMT, Phil Michael
> >
> wrote:
>
>>In message >
>> Ikke > wrote:
>>
>>> Hi everybody,
>>>
>>> Just another question related to xenon lights - my five year old BMW E46
>>> 320d has the xenon option, but I've noticed that only the daytime
>>> running
>>> lights are xenon lights. Shouldn't the high beams be xenon as well?

> Are you sure?
>
> I have the bi-xennon on my E65 730d SE 07 and the inner lights are for
> flashing
> only there is no way they can be used as headlights in the normal manner.
>
> Check it out my friend........................
>
> Hugh

I agree. My 2005 M3 has bi-xenon, and the inner lights are for flashing
only - they do not illuminate with the stalk in "hi beam" position.

Tim/

hid xenon Shophidxenon.com Honda 0 June 25th 08 08:26 PM
scheinwerferreinigungsanlage bei Xenon Andreas Böttcher Audi 1 March 30th 07 08:43 PM
BMW Xenon headlights on E39 Ken Hewitt BMW 3 March 1st 06 03:10 PM
Xenon woes Charles C. Shyu BMW 12 September 27th 05 06:20 AM
E39 Xenon Upgrade from Non-Xenon Ray Paganini BMW 2 April 22nd 05 03:18 PM