Shutting the windows

Old November 15th 08, 05:46 PM posted to alt.autos.bmw
Jono[_2_]

Default Shutting the windows

Hello,

What do I have to do to be able to shut the windows with the remote on
my 2003 E46?

I can happily open all the windows by holding down the unlock switch on
the remote....but cannot close them.

I can see an occasional need to open them; I need to shut them more
often, though.

TIA.

Old November 15th 08, 11:07 PM posted to alt.autos.bmw
Jono[_2_]

expressed precisely :
> On Sat, 15 Nov 2008 14:06:49 -0600, "
> > wrote:
>
>> On Sat, 15 Nov 2008 17:46:19 GMT, Jono >
>> wrote:
>>
>>> Hello,
>>>
>>> What do I have to do to be able to shut the windows with the remote on
>>> my 2003 E46?
>>>
>>> I can happily open all the windows by holding down the unlock switch on
>>> the remote....but cannot close them.
>>>
>>> I can see an occasional need to open them; I need to shut them more
>>> often, though.
>>>
>>> TIA.
>>>

>> You can't. The only way to close them from the outside is by using the
>> key in the doorlock and turning the key to the lock position (holding
>> it there will close all windows and the moonroof sequentially).

> Just to follow up, something I posted a while back (I now sold the e46
> and have an 2008 e90 (328xi) , and on this one too the windows don't
> close with the remote, just like on the wife's car)
>
> On Mon, 01 Oct 2007 14:49:24 -0400, rhalljr
> > wrote:
>
>> i know there is a way for me to roll down my windows using the remote on
>> my e46 2004 330i.
>>
>> but, can i roll them back up with the remote?
>>
>> may be a stupid question, sorry.
>>
>> Rodney

> I am in the US and I have an E46 (2002 Model year). The windows close
> back when I hit the lock button and hold it for a few seconds on my
> remote. I only tried that option a few times when I just got the car
> and was in "play mode". My wife just got an E91 (328xiT) and although
> it will open all the windows and the moonroof when holding and
> pressing the open button, it refuses to close them back when pushing
> and holding the lock button on her remote. All I can do there is
> manually close all the windows again.
> So they may have changed something after 2002. Your dealer should be
> able to tell.

Thanks.

It is preposterous to allow the opening but not the closing of the
windows from the remote.

I do use the "hold the key horizontally in the lock" trick to close the
windows - it'd be much easier to hold the button on the remote.

I wonder if there's a hack/modification..?

Old November 15th 08, 11:20 PM posted to alt.autos.bmw
Dave Plowman (News)

In article >,
Jono > wrote:
> What do I have to do to be able to shut the windows with the remote on
> my 2003 E46?

> I can happily open all the windows by holding down the unlock switch on
> the remote....but cannot close them.

> I can see an occasional need to open them; I need to shut them more
> often, though.

Think that's US nanny state regulations. That function works in other
countries.

--
*Any connection between your reality and mine is purely coincidental

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Old November 15th 08, 11:35 PM posted to alt.autos.bmw
Jeff Strickland

"Jono" > wrote in message
. ..
> Hello,
>
> What do I have to do to be able to shut the windows with the remote on my
> 2003 E46?
>
> I can happily open all the windows by holding down the unlock switch on
> the remote....but cannot close them.
>
> I can see an occasional need to open them; I need to shut them more often,
> though.
>
> TIA.

My daughter says the windows close with the key. Turn the key to the LOCK
position and hold it there.

Old November 16th 08, 09:34 AM posted to alt.autos.bmw

On Sat, 15 Nov 2008 23:20:29 +0000 (GMT), "Dave Plowman (News)"
> wrote:

>In article >,
> Jono > wrote:
>> What do I have to do to be able to shut the windows with the remote on
>> my 2003 E46?

>> I can happily open all the windows by holding down the unlock switch on
>> the remote....but cannot close them.

>> I can see an occasional need to open them; I need to shut them more
>> often, though.

>Think that's US nanny state regulations. That function works in other
>countries.

I agree with you Dave. Both my recent BMW 7 s opened and closed everything with
the key fob.

I think this can be programmed into the system by someone with access to the
software - dealer? $$$$$ or a good drink to a mechanic (Oops! technician)
Mechanics don't exist any more............... if it ain't in the book it can't
be done.

--

Sir Hugh of Bognor

Intelligence is not knowing the answer but knowing where and how to find it!

Hugh Gundersen

Bognor Regis, W.Sussex, England, UK
Old November 16th 08, 10:54 AM posted to alt.autos.bmw
Jono[_2_]

Jeff Strickland formulated the question :
> "Jono" > wrote in message
> . ..
>> Hello,
>>
>> What do I have to do to be able to shut the windows with the remote on my
>> 2003 E46?
>>
>> I can happily open all the windows by holding down the unlock switch on the
>> remote....but cannot close them.
>>
>> I can see an occasional need to open them; I need to shut them more often,
>> though.
>>
>> TIA.
>>

> My daughter says the windows close with the key. Turn the key to the LOCK
> position and hold it there.

This is, indeed, true. However, being in the UK, it would be useful to
be able to shut the windows with the remote when it's pi$$ing down with
rain.

Old November 16th 08, 10:56 AM posted to alt.autos.bmw
Jono[_2_]

Dave Plowman (News) used his keyboard to write :
> In article >,
> Jono > wrote:
>> What do I have to do to be able to shut the windows with the remote on
>> my 2003 E46?

>> I can happily open all the windows by holding down the unlock switch on
>> the remote....but cannot close them.

>> I can see an occasional need to open them; I need to shut them more
>> often, though.

> Think that's US nanny state regulations. That function works in other
> countries.

Erm, I am in other countries....well, in the 51st State at any rate.

It does what I would expect it to do on a colleagues 5 series but not
on my 3 series.

Old November 16th 08, 11:59 AM posted to alt.autos.bmw
Dave Plowman (News)

In article >,
Jono > wrote:
> > Think that's US nanny state regulations. That function works in other
> > countries.

> Erm, I am in other countries....well, in the 51st State at any rate.

Might help if you said where you were from, then? It's not obvious by your
address.

> It does what I would expect it to do on a colleagues 5 series but not
> on my 3 series.

Check with your dealer to see if it's a programmable option. It does work
on my brother's 2001 3 series.

--
*Never kick a cow pat on a hot day *

Old November 16th 08, 12:13 PM posted to alt.autos.bmw
Jono[_2_]

Dave Plowman (News) laid this down on his screen :
> In article >,
> Jono > wrote:
>>> Think that's US nanny state regulations. That function works in other
>>> countries.

>> Erm, I am in other countries....well, in the 51st State at any rate.

> Might help if you said where you were from, then? It's not obvious by your
> address.

Yep, sorry. UK.

>> It does what I would expect it to do on a colleagues 5 series but not
>> on my 3 series.

> Check with your dealer to see if it's a programmable option. It does work
> on my brother's 2001 3 series.

That's handy to know. Cheers.