I am going to test drive the NEW 730d SE on Monday - I'll take the camera

Old November 14th 08, 04:23 PM posted to alt.autos.bmw

Default I am going to test drive the NEW 730d SE on Monday - I'll take the camera

Hi

Got invited to the pre release viewing of the NEW 7 series last night (eve).

Nice looking car but not a great deal of change from the E65

The interior is nice but I don't like the reduction in the Sat Nav they have
gone from the CARiN/Navteq HIGH to the pro version Yuk!

All the entertainment is Hdd based - save your CD to Hdd which also holds the
sat-nav software which to update you have to buy the CD and upload the contents
to the Hdd.

Biggest mistake is the "gear lever".

Why Oh Why have a gear lever sticking up from the transmission tunnel when you
are never going to change gear?

It looks out of place and to me at least seems an after thought and it clutters
up the smooth neat inside lines.

If anything that would make me thing twice about keeping my E65 will be that
ugly gear lever.

Everything else looks Ok

I'll tell you more when I have driven it.................

--

Sir Hugh of Bognor

Intelligence is not knowing the answer but knowing where and how to find it!

Hugh Gundersen

Bognor Regis, W.Sussex, England, UK
Old November 15th 08, 10:03 PM posted to alt.autos.bmw
Dori A Schmetterling[_3_]

You never go into reverse?

Or limit gear changes...?

DAS

---
news

Old November 16th 08, 09:29 AM posted to alt.autos.bmw

On Sat, 15 Nov 2008 22:03:50 -0000, "Dori A Schmetterling" >
wrote:

>You never go into reverse?
>
>Or limit gear changes...?

Don't be silly my friend!

The column mounted lever is so neat and you don't have to move your hand from
the steering wheel to get N, R, D or P.

To get sport mode or manual mode there is a button on the steering wheel - press
once = sport (hangs on to the gear longer) and manual - almost full control when
to change gear - it's like a paddle shift with the top buttons (L&R) doing the
down shift and those underneath doing the up shift. there is a safety system to
stop you getting valve bounce or over-revving but it works Ok.

However, with so much torque on tap I only ever use the manual mode for very
slow traffic and FUN FUN FUN!

Hugh

Old November 16th 08, 04:15 PM posted to alt.autos.bmw
R. Mark Clayton

> wrote in message
news

> Hi
>
> Got invited to the pre release viewing of the NEW 7 series last night
> (eve).

Also seen it and sat in it.

> Nice looking car but not a great deal of change from the E65

Indeed.

> The interior is nice but I don't like the reduction in the Sat Nav they
> have
> gone from the CARiN/Navteq HIGH to the pro version Yuk!
>
> All the entertainment is Hdd based - save your CD to Hdd which also holds
> the
> sat-nav software which to update you have to buy the CD and upload the
> contents
> to the Hdd.

An "absorb" funtion is very good, but even the best hard drives don't last
that long and that is in ideal conditions. Bounced around in a car is going
to reduce their lives and void the warranty, unless of course they are using
a solid state drive.

> Biggest mistake is the "gear lever".
>
> Why Oh Why have a gear lever sticking up from the transmission tunnel when
> you
> are never going to change gear?

You never use manual or at least switch into sport?

> It looks out of place and to me at least seems an after thought and it
> clutters
> up the smooth neat inside lines.

OTOH it did feel somewhat snugger than my current 735i.

> If anything that would make me thing twice about keeping my E65 will be
> that
> ugly gear lever.
>
> Everything else looks Ok
>
> I'll tell you more when I have driven it.................
>
> --
>
> Sir Hugh of Bognor

Another big plus is the lower consumption & emissions, which should mean
less money for Darling. With performance equivalent to a Ferrari and
consumption equivalent to a Ford Escort of a generation ago things have
certainly come on technologically.

I never thought I would buy a diesel, but this is another league...

Old November 17th 08, 08:43 PM posted to alt.autos.bmw

On Sun, 16 Nov 2008 16:15:16 -0000, "R. Mark Clayton"
> wrote:

> wrote in message
>news
>>
>> Hi
>>
>> Got invited to the pre release viewing of the NEW 7 series last night
>> (eve).

>Also seen it and sat in it.
>

>> Nice looking car but not a great deal of change from the E65

>Indeed.
>

>> The interior is nice but I don't like the reduction in the Sat Nav they
>> have
>> gone from the CARiN/Navteq HIGH to the pro version Yuk!
>>
>> All the entertainment is Hdd based - save your CD to Hdd which also holds
>> the
>> sat-nav software which to update you have to buy the CD and upload the
>> contents
>> to the Hdd.

>An "absorb" funtion is very good, but even the best hard drives don't last
>that long and that is in ideal conditions. Bounced around in a car is going
>to reduce their lives and void the warranty, unless of course they are using
>a solid state drive.
>

>> Biggest mistake is the "gear lever".
>>
>> Why Oh Why have a gear lever sticking up from the transmission tunnel when
>> you
>> are never going to change gear?

>You never use manual or at least switch into sport?

It's all on the steering wheel - only have to move my right thumb an inch or so
and the gear selector is a finger tip away to the right top of the wheel
opposite the indicator stalk and above the wiper stalk.

No need for a flagpole in the middle of the centre console.

City deer/camera test gpsman Driving 0 September 25th 08 02:41 PM
Test drive car utsh Driving 2 September 7th 07 06:04 PM
As Promised::: My GT vs V6 Test drive :::::: Mrs Ken Ehrett Ford Mustang 0 August 21st 06 01:55 AM
A3 Test drive David A Smith Audi 4 April 21st 06 02:22 PM
My GT test drive thoughts PhilipS Alfa Romeo 18 August 15th 04 11:38 PM