1995 toyota camry 4cyl/2.2L - rear motor mount replacement

Old May 29th 05, 10:16 PM
Pszemol

Default 1995 toyota camry 4cyl/2.2L - rear motor mount replacement

As a total lay person I decided to replace all motor mounts in my camry
I was not sure what to expect, and even if this can be done in the garage.

I put the car on two jackstands and lifted motor pushing on the oil pan
up with a screw jack and a piece of wood. Everything went fine with
almost all mount except the rear one.

I am able to remove 3 out of 4 nuts with no problem, but the 4th
(the upper one) is not accessible from the underneath of the car.
If I can fit the wrench there there is no room to turn it...
I tried from the top - no way, all stuff is blocking access to
this nut. Is there a trick to do it? Am I missing something here ?

I checked the Haynes book and they don't mention anything special.
The procedure for the rear mount listed in this book seems to be
exactly the same as the one for the front engine mount...

BTW - the old mounts were totaly damaged, no resistance at all.
The upper bar of the mount was totaly loose in the lower socket.
Is this possible I damaged the old mounts lifting motor up without
loosening mount screws? The book did not ask for loosening screws
but after I saw how it works I would loosen screw first and then
lift the motor up. This is how I plan to do it for the 4th mount.
But first I need to learn the trick to remove this last nut...

Please help!
Old May 30th 05, 05:33 AM
Comboverfish

Pszemol wrote:

> I am able to remove 3 out of 4 nuts with no problem, but the 4th
> (the upper one) is not accessible from the underneath of the car.
> If I can fit the wrench there there is no room to turn it...
> I tried from the top - no way, all stuff is blocking access to
> this nut. Is there a trick to do it? Am I missing something here ?

Drop a long extension, preferably 1/2", with a swivel and 17mm socket
down behind the intake manifold and use one hand to guide the socket
onto the upper mount nut. Loosen with breaker bar and spin off by
hand.

> BTW - the old mounts were totaly damaged, no resistance at all.
> The upper bar of the mount was totaly loose in the lower socket.
> Is this possible I damaged the old mounts lifting motor up without
> loosening mount screws?

The dogbone mount is probably torn in the larger rubber bushing side,
and the front mount is probably broken in two. This is normal pattern
failure for those mounts. The rear mount is probably fine. You didn't
damage them from the removal attempt.

Toyota MDT in MO

Old May 30th 05, 06:20 AM
Pszemol

"Comboverfish" > wrote in message oups.com...
> Drop a long extension, preferably 1/2", with a swivel and 17mm socket
> down behind the intake manifold and use one hand to guide the socket
> onto the upper mount nut. Loosen with breaker bar and spin off by
> hand.

Will try... I dont have extension with a swivel, need to get one.
What is a breaker bar? I am not a mechanic, please use plain English ;-)

> The dogbone mount is probably torn in the larger rubber bushing side,
> and the front mount is probably broken in two. This is normal pattern
> failure for those mounts. The rear mount is probably fine. You didn't
> damage them from the removal attempt.

The rear mount is not fine - I removed 3 lower nuts the way the mount
was loose on the bottom and was hanging on the upper single screw
from the top and when I had the engine risen up I could feel this rear mount
totaly loose... moving freely. Like the front one. No rubber resistance at all.
Old May 30th 05, 06:31 AM
Pszemol

"Comboverfish" > wrote in message oups.com...
> The dogbone mount is probably torn in the larger rubber bushing side,
> and the front mount is probably broken in two. This is normal pattern
> failure for those mounts. The rear mount is probably fine. You didn't
> damage them from the removal attempt.

Is there a place on the net I could see some drawings of these two
bottom mounts ? How do they work? I've heard these guys filled with oil ?

The broken one I removed from the front was damaged, but
I did not see any oil dripping out of this mount... What is the deal ?
Old May 30th 05, 08:29 PM
Pszemol

"Comboverfish" > wrote in message oups.com...
> Drop a long extension, preferably 1/2", with a swivel and 17mm socket
> down behind the intake manifold and use one hand to guide the socket
> onto the upper mount nut. Loosen with breaker bar and spin off by
> hand.

I did it! :-)) Thanks. What a great "I can do it!" feeling :-)
This is not a biggy for a pro, but very rewarding for an amateur like myself.

> The dogbone mount is probably torn in the larger rubber bushing side,
> and the front mount is probably broken in two. This is normal pattern
> failure for those mounts. The rear mount is probably fine. You didn't
> damage them from the removal attempt.

You were right about the rear one - it was not that bad compared to the front
one, but I could still hear fluid in it foaming, like there was not enought of it.
The new one I could feel the fluid passing but no foaming/splashing sound.
Anyway, after replacing all of them finally I have lost all these anoying
motor vibrations I was suffering from for months...

Thank you for your help, and I would still like to see the mount
technical drawing, if you know the place it is available to see...