the cocacola myth

Old October 25th 04, 02:01 PM
Ant

Default the cocacola myth

Hi

I still keep getting guys telling me how clean n shiny my rusty bolts would
end if I put them for a night on coke (large, no ice). I've never tried
this, but it all sounds like bogus science to me.
Has anybody tried this?

Ant
Thanks but my penis, breasts and mortgage have exactly the right size.
Not interested in your spam
Old October 25th 04, 02:12 PM
Kafertoys

>I still keep getting guys telling me how clean n shiny my rusty bolts would
>end if I put them for a night on coke (large, no ice). I've never tried
>this, but it all sounds like bogus science to me.
>Has anybody tried this?

leave them in to long and yes it will break down the metal.
but there are better ways to clean metal

Mario
Old October 25th 04, 02:39 PM
Juper Wort

"Ant" > wrote in message
> Hi
>
> I still keep getting guys telling me how clean n shiny my rusty bolts

would
> end if I put them for a night on coke (large, no ice). I've never tried
> this, but it all sounds like bogus science to me.
> Has anybody tried this?
>
> Ant
> --

I used to dip tinfoil in coke, then rub gently on bumpers & hubcaps to
remove the little rust spots. Rinse & then polish. Kept the rot away from
cheap chrome for a while.

James

Old October 25th 04, 05:48 PM
Seth Graham

On 2004-10-25, Ant > wrote:
> Hi
>
> I've never tried this, but it all sounds like bogus science to me.

It's not bogus. Coke is a bit acidic, and will eat away at metal
(and rust), given enough time.

Soda cans have a thin plastic lining inside them to prevent
corrosion, in school as a little tyke we submerged a six pack in
soda and a couple weeks later there was nothing left but some very
flat soda and plastic film.

If you ever want to scare your kids from drinking soda, next time
one of them loses a tooth put the tooth and some coke in a glass,
let sit for a week and fish the tooth out. Or what's left of it.

Old October 25th 04, 09:52 PM
Bob Hoover

Ant > wrote in message >...
> Hi
>
> I still keep getting guys telling me how clean n shiny my rusty bolts would
> end if I put them for a night on coke

Bright & shiny? Myth.

But rust-free? True.

Coca-cola (and most other soft drinks) contains phosphoric acid.
After eating the enamel off your teeth it gives you the extra zing
American's expect in their soft drinks. It also contains carbonic
acid, created whenever carbon dioxide is dissolved in water. Both are
effective de-rusting agents. But not very fast. While Coca-cola is
acidic, and while the acids it contains are specific 'getters' of
oxides, they are quite dilute. Raising the temperature and leaving
the part in the solution for several days is usually required to
REMOVE the rust. But if you simply want to break the bond on a rusted
nut & bolt, an over night soak should do it.

The real question is why someone would use Coca-cola when they are
literally surrounded by more effective -- and less expensive --
rust-removing agents. You can buy various acids, including
phosphoric, from Home Depot... and probably already have a few around
your house. (Tile cleaners often use hydrochloric acid and every old
car battery contains some sulphuric acid.) And if you simply want to
free a rusty fastener then you should be using Kroil or Mouse Milk.
(Yes, 'Mouse Milk.' It's a brand name. See any good machinist-supply
catalog.)

Got rusty bolts? The least expensive method of restoring them is to
simple reverse electrolisis... concentrated salt solution plus a
bettery charger. Look it up. Several sites on the internet devoted
to cleaning metal. It might also be a good idea to read what's in the
stuff you eat & drink. The world is full of surprises :-)

-Bob Hoover
Old October 26th 04, 12:09 AM
Shaggie

http://snopes.com/cokelore/cokelore.asp

--

Always carry a flagon of whiskey in case of snakebite,
and furthermore always carry a small snake.
Old October 26th 04, 12:37 AM
RSMEINER

>Hi
>
>I still keep getting guys telling me how clean n shiny my rusty bolts would
>end if I put them for a night on coke (large, no ice). I've never tried
>this, but it all sounds like bogus science to me.
>Has anybody tried this?
>
>Ant

I drink lots of coke and my bolt and nuts are all rust free.

Geez, I'm a smart ass some days. Or a dumb ass. Or both.

Randy
http://members.aol.com/rsmeiner
Old October 26th 04, 02:08 AM
jjs

"Ant" > wrote in message
> Hi
>
> I still keep getting guys telling me how clean n shiny my rusty bolts
> would
> end if I put them for a night on coke (large, no ice). I've never tried
> this, but it all sounds like bogus science to me.
> Has anybody tried this?

You can do the same with many household cleaners faster. "Bartenders Friend"
is one. It's about the phosphoric acid. Some "mag wheel cleaners" work as
well. But the fact is that just removing the appearance of rust doesn't help
the bolt. Rust is destructive. If it's real bad what you have left is a
little thread a bunch of trouble.

Old October 26th 04, 02:33 AM
P.J.Berg

"
> Got rusty bolts? The least expensive method of restoring them is to
> simple reverse electrolisis... concentrated salt solution plus a
> bettery charger. Look it up. Several sites on the internet devoted
> to cleaning metal. It might also be a good idea to read what's in the
> stuff you eat & drink. The world is full of surprises :-)
>
> -Bob Hoover"

This bit is interesting, any hints or links? Anyone?

T.I.A.
P.J.Berg.

Old October 26th 04, 05:54 AM
Jan Andersson

"P.J.Berg" wrote:

> "
> > Got rusty bolts? The least expensive method of restoring them is to
> > simple reverse electrolisis... concentrated salt solution plus a
> > bettery charger. Look it up. Several sites on the internet devoted
> > to cleaning metal. It might also be a good idea to read what's in the
> > stuff you eat & drink. The world is full of surprises :-)
> >
> > -Bob Hoover"

> This bit is interesting, any hints or links? Anyone?
>
> T.I.A.
> P.J.Berg.

I've been using electrolysis for years.

A big bowl of water, and a little plumbing cleaner (anything with lye in
it).

This makes the water conduct electricity better.

More info:

http://antique-engines.com/electrol.asp

Jan