any way to protect NOS fenders?

Old October 18th 04, 12:25 AM
Nate Nagel

Default any way to protect NOS fenders?

Looks like I just bought myself another car... a '64 Stude convertible,
comes with NOS front fenders. Now fenders on Studes are made in a real
retarded manner, there is a vertical brace at the rear edge with a tiny
little gap between it and the outer skin. Guess where they all rust?

What would you guys do to protect this area and keep it from rusting?
Normally in this situation I would strip the factory primer off and
brush POR-15 over the inside of the fender, but that's not going to help
here - the part that rusts you can't get a brush in. Is there any place
that would, say, chemically strip the fender and then dip it in epoxy
paint or something really rust resistant?

thanks,

nate

--
replace "fly" with "com" to reply.
http://home.comcast.net/~njnagel
Old October 18th 04, 03:05 AM
Grumpy au Contraire

Nate Nagel wrote:

> Looks like I just bought myself another car... a '64 Stude convertible,
> comes with NOS front fenders. Now fenders on Studes are made in a real
> retarded manner, there is a vertical brace at the rear edge with a tiny
> little gap between it and the outer skin. Guess where they all rust?
>
> What would you guys do to protect this area and keep it from rusting?
> Normally in this situation I would strip the factory primer off and
> brush POR-15 over the inside of the fender, but that's not going to help
> here - the part that rusts you can't get a brush in. Is there any place
> that would, say, chemically strip the fender and then dip it in epoxy
> paint or something really rust resistant?
>
> thanks,
>
> nate

I fill the gaps with foundation coating. That stuff never gets hard.

Needless to day, you ain't gonna drive that thang in the ice 'n snow, right?

--
JT

Just tooling through cyberspace in my ancient G4
Old October 18th 04, 03:14 AM
Nate Nagel

Grumpy au Contraire wrote:

> Nate Nagel wrote:
>
>>Looks like I just bought myself another car... a '64 Stude convertible,
>>comes with NOS front fenders. Now fenders on Studes are made in a real
>>retarded manner, there is a vertical brace at the rear edge with a tiny
>>little gap between it and the outer skin. Guess where they all rust?
>>
>>What would you guys do to protect this area and keep it from rusting?
>>Normally in this situation I would strip the factory primer off and
>>brush POR-15 over the inside of the fender, but that's not going to help
>>here - the part that rusts you can't get a brush in. Is there any place
>>that would, say, chemically strip the fender and then dip it in epoxy
>>paint or something really rust resistant?
>>
>>thanks,
>>
>>nate
>>

> I fill the gaps with foundation coating. That stuff never gets hard.
>
> Needless to day, you ain't gonna drive that thang in the ice 'n snow, right?

when you say fill in the gaps you mean like seal off that whole area
behind the brace? Do you leave the hole at the bottom open?

nate

Old October 18th 04, 05:27 PM
Grumpy au Contraire

Nate Nagel wrote:

> Grumpy au Contraire wrote:
>

> > Nate Nagel wrote:
> >
> >>Looks like I just bought myself another car... a '64 Stude convertible,
> >>comes with NOS front fenders. Now fenders on Studes are made in a real
> >>retarded manner, there is a vertical brace at the rear edge with a tiny
> >>little gap between it and the outer skin. Guess where they all rust?
> >>
> >>What would you guys do to protect this area and keep it from rusting?
> >>Normally in this situation I would strip the factory primer off and
> >>brush POR-15 over the inside of the fender, but that's not going to help
> >>here - the part that rusts you can't get a brush in. Is there any place
> >>that would, say, chemically strip the fender and then dip it in epoxy
> >>paint or something really rust resistant?
> >>
> >>thanks,
> >>
> >>nate
> >>

> > I fill the gaps with foundation coating. That stuff never gets hard.
> >
> > Needless to day, you ain't gonna drive that thang in the ice 'n snow, right?
> >

> when you say fill in the gaps you mean like seal off that whole area
> behind the brace? Do you leave the hole at the bottom open?
>
> nate

I ain't answering until you answer question #2...

<G>

Old October 18th 04, 11:02 PM
Nate Nagel

Grumpy au Contraire wrote:

> Nate Nagel wrote:
>
>>Grumpy au Contraire wrote:

>>>I fill the gaps with foundation coating. That stuff never gets hard.
>>>
>>>Needless to day, you ain't gonna drive that thang in the ice 'n snow, right?
>>>

>>when you say fill in the gaps you mean like seal off that whole area
>>behind the brace? Do you leave the hole at the bottom open?
>>
>>nate
>>

> I ain't answering until you answer question #2...
>
> <G>

Well, we don't *get* what I consider snow here, so I guess the answer is
"no, unless I move" <G>

nate

Old October 19th 04, 12:57 AM
Grumpy au Contraire

Nate Nagel wrote:

> Grumpy au Contraire wrote:
>

> > Nate Nagel wrote:

> >>when you say fill in the gaps you mean like seal off that whole area
> >>behind the brace? Do you leave the hole at the bottom open?
> >>
> >>nate
> >>

> > I ain't answering until you answer question #2...
> >
> > <G>
> >

> Well, we don't *get* what I consider snow here, so I guess the answer is
> "no, unless I move" <G>
>
> nate

You live too close to DeeCee and are obviously getting some coachin'
from the evil liberal that you sometimes hang with thus are sharpening
your issue avoidance skills... Yes?

<G>

Old October 19th 04, 03:31 AM
Grumpy au Contraire

Robin Banks wrote:

> On Mon, 18 Oct 2004 18:02:16 -0400, Nate Nagel > wrote:
>
> > Well, we don't *get* what I consider snow here

> I hate you. ;-)
>
> It's SO close to being put away time here. Temps have been in the 40s/low
> 50s, we had frost warnings... <sigh> I'll probably have both cars under wraps
> by next week. Already got the winterizing treatments for everything.
>
> I hate that it'll be until late April 'till I see my babies rolling again.
>
> ~~R.Banks

Don't let him fool you. He lives in MD and depending of how nasty the
winter decides to be, a substantial amount of snow, ice, slush, and of
course salt infects the roads from November to April.

Now, here in Austin, Texas, one can generally drive vintage tin daily
year round.

That's why I'm bustin' his chops!

<G>

JT

1931 Studebaker President State Coupe (Q4)
1955 Studebaker President State Coupe - Future Project
1955 Studebaker President State Sedan - Almost done Daily Driver
1956 Studebaker Power Hawk - Long Time Fun Car - (Will be burial
container)
1964 Studebaker Champ P/U T-6 Long Bed - Daily driver
1983 Honda FE - My answer to increasing gas prices
1956 Leica M2
Old October 19th 04, 11:27 AM
Nate Nagel

Grumpy au Contraire wrote:

> Robin Banks wrote:
>
>>On Mon, 18 Oct 2004 18:02:16 -0400, Nate Nagel > wrote:
>>

>>>Well, we don't *get* what I consider snow here

>>I hate you. ;-)
>>
>>It's SO close to being put away time here. Temps have been in the 40s/low
>>50s, we had frost warnings... <sigh> I'll probably have both cars under wraps
>>by next week. Already got the winterizing treatments for everything.
>>
>>I hate that it'll be until late April 'till I see my babies rolling again.
>>
>>~~R.Banks

> Don't let him fool you. He lives in MD and depending of how nasty the
> winter decides to be, a substantial amount of snow, ice, slush, and of
> course salt infects the roads from November to April.

I would disagree with the "substantial amount." Generally it only snows
to any significant degree a couple days a year. However, having the
road crews dump craploads of salt on the road as a pre-emptive measure
when it's only going to snow enough to tint things white - and melt off
anyway as soon as the sun comes out - is a distinct possibility

> Now, here in Austin, Texas, one can generally drive vintage tin daily
> year round.
>
> That's why I'm bustin' his chops!
>
> <G>

You're a braver man than I, I drove my '62 to work one day when it was
about 95 degrees out, I think I lost 20 lbs. in about 30 miles I
like air conditioning, it's a Good Thing. (I didn't choose to drive it
that day, my other car was in the shop that day for some necessary
timing belt maintenance. The *NEXT* time I drove it to work I got
caught in a torrential downpour, with those dinky little windshield
wipers and a defroster I never hooked up. I think Mother Nature likes
laughing at people, because it was the middle of summer.)

nate

Old October 19th 04, 11:30 AM
Nate Nagel

Grumpy au Contraire wrote:

> Nate Nagel wrote:
>
>>Grumpy au Contraire wrote:

>>>I ain't answering until you answer question #2...
>>>
>>><G>
>>>

>>Well, we don't *get* what I consider snow here, so I guess the answer is
>>"no, unless I move" <G>
>>
>>nate
>>

> You live too close to DeeCee and are obviously getting some coachin'
> from the evil liberal that you sometimes hang with thus are sharpening
> your issue avoidance skills... Yes?
>
> <G>

maybe <G>

seriously, any car I put together needs to be a practical driver, as I
don't actually own a car newer than 1988 and that one does need
occasional attention (getting better, though, now that I've had it a
while.) I don't plan on driving in bad weather but you never know.

nate

Old October 20th 04, 12:45 AM
Grumpy au Contraire

Nate Nagel wrote:

> Grumpy au Contraire wrote:
>

> > Nate Nagel wrote:

> >>Well, we don't *get* what I consider snow here, so I guess the answer is
> >>"no, unless I move" <G>
> >>
> >>nate
> >>

> > You live too close to DeeCee and are obviously getting some coachin'
> > from the evil liberal that you sometimes hang with thus are sharpening
> > your issue avoidance skills... Yes?
> >
> > <G>
> >

> maybe <G>
>
> seriously, any car I put together needs to be a practical driver, as I
> don't actually own a car newer than 1988 and that one does need
> occasional attention (getting better, though, now that I've had it a
> while.) I don't plan on driving in bad weather but you never know.
>
> nate

Okay, okay... Youse worn me down!

What I do is stand the fender on the back edge, use masking tape to
prevent the foundation sealant from running all over the place and fill
the entire area with the stuff.

Let it dry for about a month (preferably in JP's garage this time of year)

Don't forget to use epoxy primer and a top coat before the foundation
coating though..

The reason that it has to dry is that it doesn't particularly like
undercoating. It will take several attempts to undercoat those areas
but when done, it should last a very long time depending on how much you
abuse it but your wouldn't do anything like that, right?

--
JT

Just tooling through cyberspace in my ancient G4

protect your car's engine Waltervw Audi 3 November 30th 04 01:53 AM
protect your car's engine Waltervw BMW 1 November 24th 04 04:14 PM
protect your car's engine Waltervw Alfa Romeo 0 November 23rd 04 03:00 PM
mystery fenders Glenn Pavlovic Antique cars 1 October 29th 04 07:44 AM
20's-30's fenders Glenn Pavlovic Antique cars 1 October 29th 03 01:59 AM