Bogus VIN plate on '67 Firebird ragtop?

Old August 25th 04, 02:01 AM
Charles Bendig

"G.R. Patterson III" > wrote in message

> Charles Bendig wrote:
> >
> > Police Officers in the area I live in will check a VIN regardless of
> > location. Even if you get pulled over to let you know you have a

marker
> > lamp out.

> Here in New Jersey, they run the plate number through the hotlist and

check it
> against the registration card that you carry.
>
> George Patterson
> If you want to know God's opinion of money, just look at the people
> he gives it to.

I never Carry my vehicle registration with me. I always leave it at
home or in the office at work. I leave nothing in my cars to tell a thief
where I live.

In Ohio it is common for thief's to switch license plates every few
hours on a stolen car. If they did not run the VIN they would not catch many
of them.
Charles

Old August 25th 04, 03:39 AM
Markansas

Bill Sohl wrote:
> Several alternatives:
>
> 1. Just fill out the paperwork using the correct VIN number and
> see if they process it without doing a direct "stare and compare"
> to the VIN as shown on the title you'll be turning in. I know this
> has been done before :-) :-) If they catch the one digit/character
> difference, claim it was a typo and revert to #2 below.
>
> 2. Fill out and title all the paperwork as per your actual title...no
> one looks at the actual VIN plate anyway...especially if the 1967
> VIN isn't in plain view on the windscreen post.
>
> Just some thoughts...

I just bought a 76 Chevrolet Nova in Texas, and brought it to Arkansas....
part of the proceedings to get license plates on a car brought in from out
of Arkansas is that one of the sheriffs deputies had to come out to the
parking lot of the courthouse,and verify that the VIN matched the title.

---

Old August 25th 04, 04:14 AM
G.R. Patterson III

Charles Bendig wrote:

> I never Carry my vehicle registration with me. I always leave it at
> home or in the office at work. I leave nothing in my cars to tell a thief
> where I live.

You are required by law to carry it in New Jersey. I keep mine in my wallet. If you
are stopped, you will have to produce license, registration, and insurance card.
Failure to produce any of them on demand will set you back $100 or so. You will also
have to show up in court to prove that you actually do have the documents. If you
didn't produce one because you don't have one, it gets *real* expensive.

Old August 25th 04, 11:22 PM
Bill Sohl

"Charles Bendig" > wrote in message

> "Bill Sohl" > wrote in message
> hlink.net...
> >
> > "Charles Bendig" > wrote in message
> > >
> > > "Bill Sohl" > wrote in message
> > > nk.net...

(SNIP)

> > > A State Inspection, in Ohio involves a visual inspection of the

VIN
> > > Plate. No matter where it is located. It also Includes looking at the
> > > fenders, hood, & door.

> > Good thing about vehicles registered as antique in NJ is NO inspection.

> Even when coming in from another state?

IF the vehicle is being registered as antique then there's no
inspection...even
if brought in from another state. Technically the vehicle is supposed to
be "self-inspected" by the owner.

> > > Police Officers in the area I live in will check a VIN regardless of
> > > location. Even if you get pulled over to let you know you have a
> > > marker lamp out.

> > So if I get stopped driving my 1961 TR3, the cops would have me get
> > out of my vehicle and open the hood so they can check the VIN #? I've
> > been stopped in more than a handful of states and never encountered
> > such a request from the police anytime or anywhere.

> Depending on the area of the state of Ohio, Yes they will. Far

less
> likely in a small rural town, then in a larger city, with a high auto
> theft rate.
>
> It has happened to me. It has even happened to Bikers I know.

Well bikers have plain view VIN plates...not so almost any vehicle
built prior to 1968/69. That's when the federal law required VIN
number plates to be readable from outside the windshield...most
were then affixed to the driver's winshield frame.

Cheers,
Bill

Old August 25th 04, 11:22 PM
Bill Sohl

"Charles Bendig" > wrote in message
> I never Carry my vehicle registration with me. I always leave it at
> home or in the office at work. I leave nothing in my cars to tell a

thief
> where I live.

If you do NOT have the vehicle registration with you in NJ and a cop
stops you, the fine is $150+ for failure to produce vehicle documentation.

Cheers,
Bill

Old August 25th 04, 11:46 PM
G.R. Patterson III

Charles Bendig wrote:

> It has happened to me. It has even happened to Bikers I know.

Yet another reason for me to avoid Ohio. My bike ('72 Triumph) has no VIN.

Old August 26th 04, 12:21 AM
KITT

Even if you are from a diff state and just driving through? If so, that
seems harsh.

-Geno
1985 Blue Camaro 2.8L w/T-tops (148k and going... getting worried)
1988 Blue Firebird Formula 5.0L w/T-tops (For sale for $2,200)
Still looking for an '82-'84 T/A w/T-tops for parts from one

HELP: TT VS. FIREBIRD Mickey Audi 8 December 6th 04 03:37 AM
License Plate Restoration? Joe Way Antique cars 1 August 14th 04 06:35 PM